Creating RAID with Disk Utility

Hello all -

Can the RAID capabilities of Disk Utility be used to "mirror" partitions (not
entire drives) between two, physically separate drives?

I was wondering if it's possible to install a second, partitioned hard drive
into a g4 minitower (which already has the internal partitioned), and use Disk
Utility to create a RAID that mirrors (i.e., automatically creates a "2nd
copy") the partition on the first drive.

I don't want to RAID the entire drive, only a partition that contains the most
critical work.

Thanks,
- John
0
John
3/7/2004 2:41:42 PM
comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage 1074 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

RAID only does entire pieces of hardware; it has no understanding of
logical volumes.

John Albert <j.albert@snet.net> wrote:

> Hello all -
>
> Can the RAID capabilities of Disk Utility be used to "mirror" partitions (not
> entire drives) between two, physically separate drives?
>
> I was wondering if it's possible to install a second, partitioned hard drive
> into a g4 minitower (which already has the internal partitioned), and use Disk
> Utility to create a RAID that mirrors (i.e., automatically creates a "2nd
> copy") the partition on the first drive.
>
> I don't want to RAID the entire drive, only a partition that contains the most
> critical work.
>
> Thanks,
> - John
0