No encryption partition option when setting up partitions on a HDD in Disk Utility?

Hello again.

While I was fiddling with my external USB HDD last night, I noticed that
I could not partition and format them with Mac OS X's encryption
directly. Basically, I was trying to set up 3 partitions and then set 1
of them to use encryption in Mac OS Extended Journal (HFS+). There was
no encryption option during partitioning. I have to do partitions first,
wait to partition all, and then reformat a partition with Mac OS
Extended Journal (HFS+) with encryption. Is this normal/by design or did
I miss something in an updated Mac OS X v10.10.5 (Yosemite)?

Thank you in advance. :)
--
Quote of the Week: "Yo mama's glasses are so thick, she can burn ants with them." --unknown
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)

On 2015-11-21 12:36, Ant wrote:
> Hello again.

Why did you post this to apps?

> While I was fiddling with my external USB HDD last night, I noticed that
> I could not partition and format them with Mac OS X's encryption
> directly. Basically, I was trying to set up 3 partitions and then set 1
> of them to use encryption in Mac OS Extended Journal (HFS+). There was
> no encryption option during partitioning. I have to do partitions first,
> wait to partition all, and then reformat a partition with Mac OS
> Extended Journal (HFS+) with encryption. Is this normal/by design or did
> I miss something in an updated Mac OS X v10.10.5 (Yosemite)?

I'm in El Cap, but here's what I did:

-Reformatted an external disk as not encrypted, journaled.
-Made a partition of arbitrary size, encrypted
-Made a partition of arbitrary size, not encrypted (use the "+" to add
  the partition, and point into the "pie" to partition the 2nd area)
  (No "pie" chart in 10.10, but applies to the "stack")
-Made a 3rd partition of arbitrary size, encrypted.

0
Alan
11/21/2015 11:24:32 PM
In message <5sidnfH8i5oTNs3LnZ2dnUU7-VOdnZ2d@earthlink.com>
  Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:
> Is this normal

Nothing having to do with partitioning disks is normal, nor has it been
for about 15 or 20 years.

--
He felt that the darkness was full of unimaginable horrors - and the
trouble with unimaginable horrors was that they were only too easy to
In comp.sys.mac.apps Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:
> On 2015-11-21 12:36, Ant wrote:
> > Hello again.

> Why did you post this to apps?

"Disk Utility.app" in Mac OS X.

> > While I was fiddling with my external USB HDD last night, I noticed that
> > I could not partition and format them with Mac OS X's encryption
> > directly. Basically, I was trying to set up 3 partitions and then set 1
> > of them to use encryption in Mac OS Extended Journal (HFS+). There was
> > no encryption option during partitioning. I have to do partitions first,
> > wait to partition all, and then reformat a partition with Mac OS
> > Extended Journal (HFS+) with encryption. Is this normal/by design or did
> > I miss something in an updated Mac OS X v10.10.5 (Yosemite)?

> I'm in El Cap, but here's what I did:

> -Reformatted an external disk as not encrypted, journaled.
> -Made a partition of arbitrary size, encrypted
> -Made a partition of arbitrary size, not encrypted (use the "+" to add
>  the partition, and point into the "pie" to partition the 2nd area)
>  (No "pie" chart in 10.10, but applies to the "stack")
> -Made a 3rd partition of arbitrary size, encrypted.

Can you make 3 partitions and then set them to Mac OS extended journal
with encryption directly?
--
Quote of the Week: "Yo mama's glasses are so thick, she can burn ants with them." --unknown
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
11/22/2015 6:29:57 AM
On 2015-11-22 01:29, Ant wrote:
> In comp.sys.mac.apps Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:
>> On 2015-11-21 12:36, Ant wrote:
>>> Hello again.
>
>> Why did you post this to apps?
>
> "Disk Utility.app" in Mac OS X.
>

>>> While I was fiddling with my external USB HDD last night, I noticed that
>>> I could not partition and format them with Mac OS X's encryption
>>> directly. Basically, I was trying to set up 3 partitions and then set 1
>>> of them to use encryption in Mac OS Extended Journal (HFS+). There was
>>> no encryption option during partitioning. I have to do partitions first,
>>> wait to partition all, and then reformat a partition with Mac OS
>>> Extended Journal (HFS+) with encryption. Is this normal/by design or did
>>> I miss something in an updated Mac OS X v10.10.5 (Yosemite)?
>
>> I'm in El Cap, but here's what I did:
>
>> -Reformatted an external disk as not encrypted, journaled.
>> -Made a partition of arbitrary size, encrypted
>> -Made a partition of arbitrary size, not encrypted (use the "+" to add
>>   the partition, and point into the "pie" to partition the 2nd area)
>>   (No "pie" chart in 10.10, but applies to the "stack")
>> -Made a 3rd partition of arbitrary size, encrypted.
>
> Can you make 3 partitions and then set them to Mac OS extended journal
> with encryption directly?

Nope.  One at a time.   All disk utility does is drive the Unix Diskutil
command so that's where the limitation really lies in terms of having to
do things incrementally.

I suppose it could be "smarter looking" on the surface (take all desired
settings) and then issue the commands serially under the hood.  But that
would be complex in terms of making sure all the settings were
compatible in terms of sizes.  Otherwise one of the partition commands
would fail or you'd end up with small amounts of unassigned space.

0
Alan
11/22/2015 3:13:01 PM
On 2015-11-22 01:29, Ant wrote:
> In comp.sys.mac.apps Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:
>> On 2015-11-21 12:36, Ant wrote:
>>> Hello again.
>
>> Why did you post this to apps?
>
> "Disk Utility.app" in Mac OS X.

Disk utility is really a system tool.  Anyone who might answer your
question would be found in .system or maybe .hardware.storage if anyone
checks that out anymore.

All in the interest of reducing unnecessary x-posting.

0
Alan
11/22/2015 4:02:09 PM

> >> I'm in El Cap, but here's what I did:
> >
> >> -Reformatted an external disk as not encrypted, journaled.
> >> -Made a partition of arbitrary size, encrypted
> >> -Made a partition of arbitrary size, not encrypted (use the "+" to add
> >>   the partition, and point into the "pie" to partition the 2nd area)
> >>   (No "pie" chart in 10.10, but applies to the "stack")
> >> -Made a 3rd partition of arbitrary size, encrypted.
> >
> > Can you make 3 partitions and then set them to Mac OS extended journal
> > with encryption directly?

> Nope.  One at a time.   All disk utility does is drive the Unix Diskutil
> command so that's where the limitation really lies in terms of having to
> do things incrementally.

> I suppose it could be "smarter looking" on the surface (take all desired
> settings) and then issue the commands serially under the hood.  But that
> would be complex in terms of making sure all the settings were
> compatible in terms of sizes.  Otherwise one of the partition commands
> would fail or you'd end up with small amounts of unassigned space.

Thanks. :)