f



Hillegass 3rd Edition

According to Amazon Hillegass's 3rd Edition of "Cocoa Programming for 
Mac OS X" is out. Anyone got it and want to share their thoughts on it? 
I'm particularly interested in how it deals with the most recent 
InterfaceBuilder, which I'm finding slightly awkard to use.

0
Andrew
6/3/2008 10:54:24 PM
comp.sys.mac.programmer.help 4653 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

8 Replies
1759 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 14

In article <2008060323542416807-thecroft@macunlimitednet>,
 Andrew <thecroft@macunlimited.net> wrote:

> According to Amazon Hillegass's 3rd Edition of "Cocoa Programming for 
> Mac OS X" is out. Anyone got it and want to share their thoughts on it? 
> I'm particularly interested in how it deals with the most recent 
> InterfaceBuilder, which I'm finding slightly awkard to use.

I have the second edition, which is ok.

Personally, I found Scott Anguish's "Cocoa Programming" to be better 
written and a much more in-depth and useful book:

<http://preview.tinyurl.com/5pj973>

-- 
Please send all responses to the relevant news group rather than directly 
to me, as E-mail sent to this address may be devoured by my very hungry 
SPAM filter. Due to Google's refusal to prevent spammers from posting 
messages through their servers, I often ignore posts from Google Groups. 
You'll need to use a real news reader if you want me to see your posts.

JR
0
Jolly
6/4/2008 2:41:04 AM
On 2008-06-03 19:41:04 -0700, Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> said:

> In article <2008060323542416807-thecroft@macunlimitednet>,
>  Andrew <thecroft@macunlimited.net> wrote:
> 
>> According to Amazon Hillegass's 3rd Edition of "Cocoa Programming for
>> Mac OS X" is out. Anyone got it and want to share their thoughts on it?
>> I'm particularly interested in how it deals with the most recent
>> InterfaceBuilder, which I'm finding slightly awkard to use.
> 
> I have the second edition, which is ok.
> 
> Personally, I found Scott Anguish's "Cocoa Programming" to be better
> written and a much more in-depth and useful book:
> 
> <http://preview.tinyurl.com/5pj973>

Scott recommends Aaron's book for beginners, FWIW.

They're for different purposes.  One is an introductory text, and the 
other is for taking you from beginner to proficient.

-jcr

0
John
6/4/2008 3:27:16 AM
In article <jollyroger-AE6E3E.21410403062008@individual.net>,
 Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:

> Personally, I found Scott Anguish's "Cocoa Programming" to be better 
> written and a much more in-depth and useful book:

A great book, but from 2003.  :(
0
Sean
6/5/2008 3:12:34 AM
In article <cwatson-8173D2.23123404062008@news.aei.ca>,
 Sean McBride <cwatson@cam.org> wrote:

> In article <jollyroger-AE6E3E.21410403062008@individual.net>,
>  Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
> 
> > Personally, I found Scott Anguish's "Cocoa Programming" to be better 
> > written and a much more in-depth and useful book:
> 
> A great book, but from 2003.  :(

Yep - I wish they'd update it...

-- 
Please send all responses to the relevant news group rather than directly 
to me, as E-mail sent to this address may be devoured by my very hungry 
SPAM filter. Due to Google's refusal to prevent spammers from posting 
messages through their servers, I often ignore posts from Google Groups. 
You'll need to use a real news reader if you want me to see your posts.

JR
0
Jolly
6/5/2008 3:43:33 AM
In article <2008060320271616807-jcrnospam@nospammaccom>,
 John C. Randolph <jcr.nospam@nospam.mac.com> wrote:

> On 2008-06-03 19:41:04 -0700, Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> said:
> 
> > In article <2008060323542416807-thecroft@macunlimitednet>,
> >  Andrew <thecroft@macunlimited.net> wrote:
> > 
> >> According to Amazon Hillegass's 3rd Edition of "Cocoa Programming for
> >> Mac OS X" is out. Anyone got it and want to share their thoughts on it?
> >> I'm particularly interested in how it deals with the most recent
> >> InterfaceBuilder, which I'm finding slightly awkard to use.
> > 
> > I have the second edition, which is ok.
> > 
> > Personally, I found Scott Anguish's "Cocoa Programming" to be better
> > written and a much more in-depth and useful book:
> > 
> > <http://preview.tinyurl.com/5pj973>
> 
> Scott recommends Aaron's book for beginners, FWIW.
> 
> They're for different purposes.  One is an introductory text, and the 
> other is for taking you from beginner to proficient.
> 

I am currently working through the Hillegass 3rd edition. It's fine for 
me as a Cocoa beginner, although I'm using it in conjunction with the 
Apple documentation and a bit of online searching.

The 3rd edition deals exclusively with Xcode 3, and I am still "stuck" 
on Tiger for the moment, so I can not offer any comment on the Interface 
Builder examples in the book. The NIB files available as part of the 
downloadable examples are not readable by IB on Tiger, so I'm using the 
Apple documentation for that rather than the book.

Unfortunately the Scott Anguish book is out of print, so I'm at the 
mercy of the second hand market there :-( 

However, the TOC and examples can still be downloaded from 
<http://www.cocoaprogramming.net/index.html>

-- 
Paul Sture
0
P
6/16/2008 7:08:11 PM
P. Sture <paul.sture.nospam@hispeed.ch> wrote:
> Unfortunately the Scott Anguish book is out of print, so I'm at the 
> mercy of the second hand market there :-( 
> However, the TOC and examples can still be downloaded from 
> <http://www.cocoaprogramming.net/index.html>

"Best practice" examples are great. Soon, I'll be through Hillegass 3rd
edition. What comes next? Back in Gtk+ and Linux days, I found myself
learning what is considered as "the best way" by studying other's
real-world code.

Can anyone recommend an up-to-date Cocoa open source software of
reasonable (small) size that is worth studying? Vienna RSS reader comes
to my mind, but I think a project with less lines of code  would be a
good idea to start with. 


Johannes
0
johannes
8/1/2008 3:28:38 PM
In article <1il06z9.r62cwf14c31byN%johannes@invalid.invalid>,
 johannes@invalid.invalid (Johannes Tanzler) wrote:

> P. Sture <paul.sture.nospam@hispeed.ch> wrote:
> > Unfortunately the Scott Anguish book is out of print, so I'm at the 
> > mercy of the second hand market there :-( 
> > However, the TOC and examples can still be downloaded from 
> > <http://www.cocoaprogramming.net/index.html>
> 
> "Best practice" examples are great. Soon, I'll be through Hillegass 3rd
> edition. What comes next? Back in Gtk+ and Linux days, I found myself
> learning what is considered as "the best way" by studying other's
> real-world code.
> 
> Can anyone recommend an up-to-date Cocoa open source software of
> reasonable (small) size that is worth studying? Vienna RSS reader comes
> to my mind, but I think a project with less lines of code  would be a
> good idea to start with. 
> 
> 

Though I haven't had chance to look at them yet, I've downloaded Open 
Source frameworks from Cocoatech (the authors of Path Finder).

http://www.cocoatech.com/opensource.php

-- 
Paul Sture
0
P
8/3/2008 12:07:59 PM
In article <jollyroger-CD76DB.22433304062008@news.individual.net>,
 Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:

> In article <cwatson-8173D2.23123404062008@news.aei.ca>,
>  Sean McBride <cwatson@cam.org> wrote:
> 
> > In article <jollyroger-AE6E3E.21410403062008@individual.net>,
> >  Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
> > 
> > > Personally, I found Scott Anguish's "Cocoa Programming" to be better 
> > > written and a much more in-depth and useful book:
> > 
> > A great book, but from 2003.  :(
> 
> Yep - I wish they'd update it...

Same here.  It really needs an update.
-- 
Blinky the Shark is a putz, but he's right about one thing:
http://improve-usenet.org/
0
Megadave
8/9/2008 5:45:34 AM
Reply: