Disk Utility chokes on disk images

After a clean install and upgrade to 10.3.1 + most recent security
updates, Panther seems OK except that disk images cannot be mounted, nor
can they be created.

Upon mounting, a window is displayed called "Warning", saying "The
following disk images failed to mount", followed by a list of each disk
image I try, listing its name and always the same error number:
-536870208

I tried 3 or 4 disk images from different sources. Also tried under
different, cleanly created, accounts.

When creating a new image, Disk Utility starts, but then gives the very
same error message: "error -536870208".

Disk Utility lives in /Applictaions/Utilities, as it should. hdiutil is
in /usr/bin. (I assume Disk Utility uses hdiutil?)

/sbin/fsck -yf in Single User Mode, Disk Utility's Repair Disk & Repair
Permissions and Disk Warrior have made no change. update_prebinding
-root / -force didn't help either. Neither does a P-RAM zap. All
hardware seems to be OK too.

Any ideas, besides reinstalling while swinging a dead chicken over it?

(The machine is a G4 at 533MHz. I think that means it must be a
"Powermac G4 Digital Audio", aka "Tangent" or "Clockwork".
It has always run OS 9. This is the first time it sees OS X. firmware is
up to date, at 4.28f1.)

Btw, hdiutil too returns the same error:

   $ hdiutil attach MenuMeters.img
   Initializing...
   load_hdi: timed out waiting for driver to load.

   2003-12-17 04:06:24.136 diskimages-helper[481] ERROR: unable to load
   disk image driver - 0xE00002C0/-536870208 - error -536870208.
   Finishing...
   hdiutil: attach failed - error -536870208

--
Sander Tekelenburg, <http://www.euronet.nl/~tekelenb/>
0

In article <user-6E5C36.04132917122003@news.euro.net>,
 Sander Tekelenburg <user@domain.invalid> wrote:

> After a clean install and upgrade to 10.3.1 + most recent security
> updates, Panther seems OK except that disk images cannot be mounted, nor
> can they be created.
>
> Upon mounting, a window is displayed called "Warning", saying "The
> following disk images failed to mount", followed by a list of each disk
> image I try, listing its name and always the same error number:
> -536870208
>
> I tried 3 or 4 disk images from different sources. Also tried under
> different, cleanly created, accounts.
>
> When creating a new image, Disk Utility starts, but then gives the very
> same error message: "error -536870208".
>
> Disk Utility lives in /Applictaions/Utilities, as it should. hdiutil is
> in /usr/bin. (I assume Disk Utility uses hdiutil?)
>
> /sbin/fsck -yf in Single User Mode, Disk Utility's Repair Disk & Repair
> Permissions and Disk Warrior have made no change. update_prebinding
> -root / -force didn't help either. Neither does a P-RAM zap. All
> hardware seems to be OK too.
>
> Any ideas, besides reinstalling while swinging a dead chicken over it?
>
> (The machine is a G4 at 533MHz. I think that means it must be a
> "Powermac G4 Digital Audio", aka "Tangent" or "Clockwork".
> It has always run OS 9. This is the first time it sees OS X. firmware is
> up to date, at 4.28f1.)
>

> Btw, hdiutil too returns the same error:
>
>    $ hdiutil attach MenuMeters.img
>    Initializing...
>    load_hdi: timed out waiting for driver to load.
>
>    2003-12-17 04:06:24.136 diskimages-helper[481] ERROR: unable to load
>    disk image driver - 0xE00002C0/-536870208 - error -536870208.
>    Finishing...
>    hdiutil: attach failed - error -536870208

   I have had a similar issue with Disk Utility very recently (also
running 10.3.1).   I can no longer create any disk images.   It always
fails with the message.

'operation not permitted'

   I have tried repairing permissions, and deleting the disk utility
preference file to no avail.

   Mounting disk images is not a problem.

J.S.
0
v451v (27)
12/17/2003 3:44:17 AM
Sander Tekelenburg <user@domain.invalid> wrote:

> After a clean install and upgrade to 10.3.1 + most recent security
> updates, Panther seems OK except that disk images cannot be mounted, nor
> can they be created.

Look in your Preferences for a .plist file with the word "diskimage" in
it and throw it away. m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = matt@tidbits.com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt/
AppleScript: The Definitive Guide
In article <user-6E5C36.04132917122003@news.euro.net>,
 Sander Tekelenburg <user@domain.invalid> wrote:

> After a clean install and upgrade to 10.3.1 + most recent security
> updates, Panther seems OK except that disk images cannot be mounted, nor
> can they be created.
>
> Upon mounting, a window is displayed called "Warning", saying "The
> following disk images failed to mount", followed by a list of each disk
> image I try, listing its name and always the same error number:
> -536870208
>
> I tried 3 or 4 disk images from different sources. Also tried under
> different, cleanly created, accounts.
>
> When creating a new image, Disk Utility starts, but then gives the very
> same error message: "error -536870208".
>
> Disk Utility lives in /Applictaions/Utilities, as it should. hdiutil is
> in /usr/bin. (I assume Disk Utility uses hdiutil?)
>
> /sbin/fsck -yf in Single User Mode, Disk Utility's Repair Disk & Repair
> Permissions and Disk Warrior have made no change. update_prebinding
> -root / -force didn't help either. Neither does a P-RAM zap. All
> hardware seems to be OK too.
>
> Any ideas, besides reinstalling while swinging a dead chicken over it?

I wrestled with this yesterday, but time grew short and I
reinstalled 10.3 (archive style) to fix it and stopped there.

This was on a new G5 with a fresh OS.

There are a few threads on the Apple boards about this and I
tried some of their suggestions.

What didn't work:

Repairing permissions
Third party mounters

What worked once, then broke again:

Reinstalling 10.3.1
Trashing
com.apple.frameworks.diskimages.diskimagesuiagent.plist

In some of the threads at Apple users report success
following various recipes. I might have been a little too
hasty and missed a step, so ymmv.

Interestingly, booting into safe mode worked consistently.
Also, besides this inconvenience, after the update the OS
couldn't remember the resolution and arrangement of the two
monitors; stopping at 10.3 solved this too.

Jeff
0
usenet58 (74)
12/17/2003 2:27:01 PM
In article <usenet-3251C3.08270117122003@hermes-ge0.rdc-kc.rr.com>,
 Jeff Wechter <usenet@works.ok> wrote:

[...]

> There are a few threads on the Apple boards about this [...]

Thanks. Reinstalling the 10.3.1 update seems to have done the trick.

[...]

> What worked once, then broke again:
>
> Reinstalling 10.3.1
> Trashing
> com.apple.frameworks.diskimages.diskimagesuiagent.plist

Hm... That file doesn't exist on this machine. (It does on another, on
which I've done an Archive & Install from Jaguar.)

[...]

> Interestingly, booting into safe mode worked consistently.

What is "safe mode"? (Same as "single user mode" perhaps?)

--
Sander Tekelenburg, <http://www.euronet.nl/~tekelenb/>
0
user3 (1546)
12/17/2003 5:08:14 PM
In article <1g62tok.1w9mrru1rpnqzkN%matt@tidbits.com>,
 matt@tidbits.com (matt neuburg) wrote:

[...]

> Look in your Preferences for a .plist file with the word "diskimage" in
> it and throw it away. m.

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.frameworks.diskimages.diskimagesuiagent.p
list, didn't even exist on the machine until after reinstalling the
10.3.1 update.

Deleting com.apple.DiskUtility.plist did nothing.

--
Sander Tekelenburg, <http://www.euronet.nl/~tekelenb/>
0
user3 (1546)
12/17/2003 5:49:46 PM
Sander Tekelenburg <user@domain.invalid> wrote:

> In article <1g62tok.1w9mrru1rpnqzkN%matt@tidbits.com>,
>  matt@tidbits.com (matt neuburg) wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Look in your Preferences for a .plist file with the word "diskimage" in
> > it and throw it away. m.
>
> ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.frameworks.diskimages.diskimagesuiagent.p
> list, didn't even exist on the machine until after reinstalling the
> 10.3.1 update.

Well, there's a guy on the Apple Discussion boards who will give you a
new one. This problem has been heavily hashed out there. m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = matt@tidbits.com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt/
AppleScript: The Definitive Guide
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596005571/somethingsbymatt
matt231 (2249)
12/17/2003 5:54:08 PM
In article <1g63vh9.1ej75s3113l4qeN%matt@tidbits.com>,
 matt@tidbits.com (matt neuburg) wrote:

> Sander Tekelenburg <user@domain.invalid> wrote:

[...]

> > ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.frameworks.diskimages.diskimagesuiagent.p
> > list, didn't even exist on the machine until after reinstalling the
> > 10.3.1 update.
>
> Well, there's a guy on the Apple Discussion boards who will give you a
> new one.

Yes, I noticed someone offered something that might be this. But I
copied the same file over from a working machine and that didn't help
(possibly a reboot would have been required - I don't think I tried).

--
Sander Tekelenburg, <http://www.euronet.nl/~tekelenb/>
0
user3 (1546)
12/17/2003 8:01:49 PM
In article <user-6E5C36.04132917122003@news.euro.net>, Sander
Tekelenburg <user@domain.invalid> wrote:

> After a clean install and upgrade to 10.3.1 + most recent security
> updates, Panther seems OK except that disk images cannot be mounted, nor
> can they be created.

Hi Sander, saw your post so decided to check my own disk image stuff.

Runs okay here.

My setup is a Pismo powerbook, running 10.3.1 but I don't have the
security updates installed yet.

I created a disk image file of a tiny 16 MB partition of my internal
disk.  No errors upon creating the image file.

I erased the 16 MB partition, and even "wiped" the free space of that
partition after I had erased it.

I then "mounted" the image of the partition, from its image file.

Everything I had installed in the original partition was now visible in
the desktop image of that partition.

Sorry I can't be of more help.  I don't have the foggiest idea what the
trouble can be with your setup.

Mark-
0
NoSpamDammit (843)
12/18/2003 7:25:52 AM
In article <user-B879C5.18081417122003@news.euro.net>,
 Sander Tekelenburg <user@domain.invalid> wrote:

>> Interestingly, booting into safe mode worked consistently.
>
>What is "safe mode"? (Same as "single user mode" perhaps?)

Safe mode is booting with Shift key held down.  Same as normal startup,
except all 3rd party kernel extensions are disabled.  Kinda like booting
with extensions off in Mac OS 9, but nowhere near as crippling.

Single user mode is booting with Cmd-S held down.  Dumps you into the
command line with essentially root privileges.

--
Art Gorski * Mac Integration Staff * Rice University * Houston, Texas
   Remember to remove NOSPAM from address when replying via email
In article <1g63vh9.1ej75s3113l4qeN%matt@tidbits.com>,
 matt@tidbits.com (matt neuburg) wrote:

> Sander Tekelenburg <user@domain.invalid> wrote:
>
> > In article <1g62tok.1w9mrru1rpnqzkN%matt@tidbits.com>,
> >  matt@tidbits.com (matt neuburg) wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > Look in your Preferences for a .plist file with the word "diskimage" in
> > > it and throw it away. m.
> >
> > ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.frameworks.diskimages.diskimagesuiagent.p
> > list, didn't even exist on the machine until after reinstalling the
> > 10.3.1 update.
>
> Well, there's a guy on the Apple Discussion boards who will give you a
> new one. This problem has been heavily hashed out there. m.

Fwiw, I used that guys .plist and it worked once and then
things broke again.

Jeff
0
usenet58 (74)
12/18/2003 4:52:38 PM
In article <agorsk-253F4B.08341818122003@joe.rice.edu>,
 Art Gorski <agorsk@NOSPAMrice.edu> wrote:

> In article <user-B879C5.18081417122003@news.euro.net>,
>  Sander Tekelenburg <user@domain.invalid> wrote:
>
> >> Interestingly, booting into safe mode worked consistently.
> >
> >What is "safe mode"? (Same as "single user mode" perhaps?)
>
> Safe mode is booting with Shift key held down.  Same as normal startup,
> except all 3rd party kernel extensions are disabled.  Kinda like booting
> with extensions off in Mac OS 9, but nowhere near as crippling.

(Thanks. I didn't know we have a new term for this in OS X.)

Well, I don't see how that would have helped in this case, since it was
a completely clean install. I even couldn'tinstall third-party kexts if
I had wanted to, because I couldn't mount the disk images on which that
third-party stuff is distributed... :)

Anyway, like I said: reinstalling 10.3.1 fixed it. Must be an installer
script error. (Possibly the need for that could have been avoided by
running Repair Permissions before running the 10.3.1 update.)

--
Sander Tekelenburg, <http://www.euronet.nl/~tekelenb/>
0
user3 (1546)
12/18/2003 5:15:23 PM
In article <user-0DF349.18152318122003@news.euro.net>,
 Sander Tekelenburg <user@domain.invalid> wrote:

> In article <agorsk-253F4B.08341818122003@joe.rice.edu>,
>  Art Gorski <agorsk@NOSPAMrice.edu> wrote:

> > >What is "safe mode"? (Same as "single user mode" perhaps?)
> >
> > Safe mode is booting with Shift key held down.  Same as normal startup,
> > except all 3rd party kernel extensions are disabled.  Kinda like booting
> > with extensions off in Mac OS 9, but nowhere near as crippling.

Plus some Apple stuff. KB Article 107392 is light on details
but sez:

*  It forces a directory check of the startup (boot) volume.
*  It loads only required kernel extensions (some of the
items in /System/Library/Extensions).
*  It runs only Apple-installed startup items (some of the
items in /Library/Startup Items and /System/Library/Startup
items - and different than login items).

> Well, I don't see how that would have helped in this case, since it was
> a completely clean install....

I was a little surprised this worked. Seems like in some
configurations/installations an old-fashion conflict may
occur.

> Anyway, like I said: reinstalling 10.3.1 fixed it. Must be an installer
> script error. (Possibly the need for that could have been avoided by
> running Repair Permissions before running the 10.3.1 update.)

Or 10.3.2 tweaks this problem. Haven't checked the Apple
boards since it's release.
0
usenet58 (74)