If I create a disk image with hdiutil ...

If I create a disk image with hdiutil e.g.

   hdiutil create -srcfolder mydir ~/Desktop/mydir.dmg

can I take the output and pipe it to scp to send the dmg
to a remote Mac?

For example:

   hdiutil create -srcfolder mydir |scp -p - dave@myhost:/Users/dave/my.dmg

If not, exactly how?

Thanks for any help.
0
dave210 (35)

In article <dtp4jr$v2$1@yuggoth.ucsb.edu>, dave@earth.mac wrote:

> If I create a disk image with hdiutil e.g.
>
>    hdiutil create -srcfolder mydir ~/Desktop/mydir.dmg
>
> can I take the output and pipe it to scp to send the dmg
> to a remote Mac?
>
> For example:
>
>    create -srcfolder mydir |scp -p - dave@myhost:/Users/dave/my.dmg
>
> If not, exactly how?
>
> Thanks for any help.

Hdiutil doesn't write its output to stdout and scp doesn't read from
stdin so joining the two commands with a pipe does nothing.  Specify a
file for the output of hdiutil, the same name for the input to scp and
join the commands with a semicolon.  Finish the job with a rm of the
generated file if you choose.

--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint =  5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
                   7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
0
tomstiller (3053)
2/25/2006 12:49:07 PM
Tom Stiller wrote:
> In article <dtp4jr$v2$1@yuggoth.ucsb.edu>, dave@earth.mac wrote:
>

>>If I create a disk image with hdiutil e.g.
>>
>>   hdiutil create -srcfolder mydir ~/Desktop/mydir.dmg
>>
>>can I take the output and pipe it to scp to send the dmg
>>to a remote Mac?
>>
>>For example:
>>
>>   create -srcfolder mydir |scp -p - dave@myhost:/Users/dave/my.dmg
>>
>>If not, exactly how?
>>
>>Thanks for any help.
>

> Hdiutil doesn't write its output to stdout and scp doesn't read from
> stdin so joining the two commands with a pipe does nothing.  Specify a
> file for the output of hdiutil, the same name for the input to scp and
> join the commands with a semicolon.  Finish the job with a rm of the
> generated file if you choose.

What if he doesn't have room for the disk image on the local machine?
There's no way to use SSH magic to do it the way he was hoping?

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine
 "G.T." <getnews1@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> Tom Stiller wrote:
> > In article <dtp4jr$v2$1@yuggoth.ucsb.edu>, dave@earth.mac wrote:
> >

> >>If I create a disk image with hdiutil e.g.
> >>
> >>   hdiutil create -srcfolder mydir ~/Desktop/mydir.dmg
> >>
> >>can I take the output and pipe it to scp to send the dmg
> >>to a remote Mac?
> >>
> >>For example:
> >>
> >>   create -srcfolder mydir |scp -p - dave@myhost:/Users/dave/my.dmg
> >>
> >>If not, exactly how?
> >>
> >>Thanks for any help.
> >

> > Hdiutil doesn't write its output to stdout and scp doesn't read from
> > stdin so joining the two commands with a pipe does nothing.  Specify a
> > file for the output of hdiutil, the same name for the input to scp and
> > join the commands with a semicolon.  Finish the job with a rm of the
> > generated file if you choose.
> >

> What if he doesn't have room for the disk image on the local machine?
> There's no way to use SSH magic to do it the way he was hoping?
>
> Greg

If the OP really wants to get his hands dirty, he could play with "dd"
and/or "dump".

--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint =  5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
                   7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
0
tomstiller (3053)
2/25/2006 6:55:54 PM
On 25/02/2006, G.T. wrote in message <12019i6hhcd95f9@corp.supernews.com>:

> Tom Stiller wrote:
> > Hdiutil doesn't write its output to stdout and scp doesn't read from
> > stdin so joining the two commands with a pipe does nothing.  Specify a
> > file for the output of hdiutil, the same name for the input to scp and
> > join the commands with a semicolon.  Finish the job with a rm of the
> > generated file if you choose.
>
> What if he doesn't have room for the disk image on the local machine?
> There's no way to use SSH magic to do it the way he was hoping?

Mount the remote drive using any kind of file-sharing and write the file
directly to it.

Simon.
--
http://www.hearsay.demon.co.uk

Norton Ghost 2003: Cant boot XP after creating system disk file image?
Hi all, I've installed ghost 2003 with the aim to using it as a backup system for my system disk. My system disk has 2 patrtitions both NFTS. My backup disk was an external NFTS drive connected through USB. After following the tutorials, I when about creating the file image of my disk as follows: 1) Started ghost and went about selecting the drive to ghost, the destination (i.e thr' usb), and the location of image file on the external disk. 2) Ghost then booted (via the floppy) into dos mode. Again followed the instructions and selected the location of the image. The ...

Are "disk images" disk images or not?
I have seen the question "What are disk images" answered numerous times with the assurance that they are exact sector-by-sector copies of real physical disks. But my own eyes seem to contradict that apparently standard answer. Disregarding the instant .dmg "images" which can be cobbled together in folders on the desktop, and concentrating on sincere attempts to create real images of real physical disks with Disk Utility, if .dmg's are real sector-by-sector copies, how come they shrink in size when files are deleted from their source-devices to make the "images&quo...

Creating a A disk Image
Running 9.22 on a G4 I have a partition containing about 15gb. I would like to create a disk image for backup purposes. Disk Copy 6.3.3 would appear to have a limit of 2gb. Is there a program out there like Norton Ghost for the PC world which would manage this? Regards Chris Curtis In article <8oSdnY0rNM5nzr_cRVn-ow@nildram.net>, "Chris Curtis" <ccurtis@nospam.net> wrote: > Running 9.22 on a G4 > I have a partition containing about 15gb. > I would like to create a disk image for backup purposes. Disk Copy 6.3.3 > would appear to have a limit of 2gb. >...

Creating system image
Hello: I'm about to reinstall Solaris 9 completely on our server. Once it is done, and before putting the system back online, is it possible to create an image of the system, as it will be configured, that I could put on CDs or DVD and from which it would be possible to boot the machine ? How do I proceed ? Cordially, Guy Paulus -- , /) // Guy Paulus (Sys Admin) (/ Service des Milieux Continus, CP-194/5 _/ ______ Universite Libre de Bruxelles ) ( (-----( 50 av. F. D. Roosevelt /INK\ \ \ ...

Which disk for system disk
A quick question regarding system disks: If you had a machine with 2 SCSI disks (one 18GB one 70GB) which would you use as the system disk? Would you put all the software on the 70GB disk, along with the user files? or put the minimum on the system disk and use the larger disk for applications and user files (email etc.) Any ideas? Eddie wrote: > A quick question regarding system disks: > > If you had a machine with 2 SCSI disks (one 18GB one 70GB) > which would you use as the system disk? > > Would you put all the software on the 70GB disk, along with the user > f...

Create disk image over AFP ?
To backup my workstation drive onto my server, I wanted to have the server mount the workstation's drive over AFP and then use the disk utility to create a local (to the server) .dmg file (with compression on). The server had no problems mounting the desktop's drive with AFP. But Disk Utility did not show that drive in the list of drives. Is this an architectural/design restriction, or would Disk Util on the server be able to manipulate the desktop's disk if I enabled "root" on the desktop and used "root" credentials to mount the disk over AFP ? Would dd o...

Create my own boot disk from image
Hi All, I have a Sony Vaio VGN-AR11M laptop which is pre installed with Windows Media Centre. Because of the preinstall, it also has loads of app that I do not want. Rather than uninstalling these, I would rather do a clean install of MCE but seeing as sony did not give me disks, I have to use their slow version. I would like to know if anyone has managed to create an install disk from the image that sony provide - less any rubbish... Installing XP pro makes no use of the TV tuner and MCE as a whole. It also makes no use of the extra buttons etc on the machine. Any ideas / Help? Thanks! C...

Creating a Restore Disk Image
I have been having some serious problems with my Mac lately which have indicated a possible malware infection. I recently "rebuilt" my system (in other words, re-installed the OS and such), then tried to create a disk image of my entire hard drive so I wouldn't have to download the OS (and other software) updates again. I intended to use this disk image to restore my entire system files (or my Hard Drive) every time I restart my Mac. After finding that the Disk Utility will not succesfully create a disk image of the Hard Drive, I contacted Apple for assistance and they are now t...

How to create an image of my hard disk
Hi, I need to create an image of my hard disk and i require a freeware for windows know any sites??? thanx in advance San ...

Segmenting disk images with hdiutil
Hi all, does someone happen to know what the options -firstSegmentSize and -restricted are good for exactly? I'm trying to segment a large disk image into chunks of exactly the same size in order to burn them onto a bunch of DVDs. Somehow the segments always end up differing by a few megabytes. Is there a way to prevent this? Might the two above options be the magic key? Thanks for your help, Oliver On 2007-11-04 11:52:20 -0500, Oliver Buerschaper <groo137vy@yahoo.co.uk> said: > I'm trying to segment a large disk image into chunks of exactly the > same size in or...

Image copy of system disk
I recently had malware so bad on my computer that I was forced to do a clean install (Windows XP Home). Since I have teenagers and this is likely to happen again, I simply bought a new hard disk, with the idea that once I had the new system set up and the personal files copied, I would make an image copy onto the old disk, so I could swap disks so I didn't have to start from absolute zero if this happened again, or if the disk crashes. I used the disk copy utility in Ultimate Boot CD for Windows, and it appeared to work - that is, the disk appeared to be identical. However...

TT030 system disks images
Hello, I have a tt030 but I don't have the system disks Can anybody tell me where I can get .msa or .st images of them(french or english) so I'm able to reformat,repartition and reinstall the gem on my harddrive? Thanx the o/s is in rom, the system disks are basicly hard drive formatting and partitioning tools and a uk language disk. Thats what i have for my TT, they are Ibm format HD disks anyway, if your interested ill zip them and send them to you, then you can extract them on a PC. Im assuming you have a HD floppy drive . . . . . "ttthirsty" <guigz2000@hotmail....

Creating TRS80 disks from images
I don't know about for others, but this is a major stumbling block for me now that I have started playing with my TRS80's again. I know there are PC's that can read/write TRS80 format disks, but they are getting rarer all the time. Heck, just finding a PC with a floppy controller is getting hard. So, here's my real question. Is it possible for a Tandy Color Computer to read/write TRS80 disks? Has anyone written software to do this? I would think that with something as powerful as OS/9 if the hardware was capable the software would not be that difficult. Comments?...

cannot create disk image (Panther)
After upgrading to Panther, I find that I cannot create a disk image (.dmg). If I try with the new Disk Utility, it proceeds through initialization and the other stages, and when I assume the .dmg file will show up on the Desktop, I instead get an error message from Disk Utility with a stop-sign and the notice that the operation is "not permitted." The relevant report form system.log is not revealing: Nov 5 13:57:34 localhost diskarbitrationd[108]: disk3s2 hfs A0F7063C-90C2-3F37-ADB0-E9A8326DC468 lyx-mac-bundle [not mounted] Nov 5 13:57:34 localhost kernel: hfs:...

Web resources about - If I create a disk image with hdiutil ... - comp.sys.mac.system

Disk Utility - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... to .dmg or, for CD/DVD images, .cdr Disk Utility functions may also be accessed from the Mac OS X command line with the diskutil and hdiutil ...

OS X
Mount Disk Image in OS X through Command Line Example: hdiutil attach /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg - Create Bootable OS X Mavericks ...

FileVault
FileVault

How to change a filetype from .DMG to .ISO with Terminal on the Mac
If you’re a Mac and a Windows user you’re probably used to the little differences between the two and can move with ease between the two different ...

Etsy’s Journey to Continuous Integration for Mobile Apps
Integration machines are separate from developer machines – they provide a stable, controlled, reproducible environment for builds and tests. ...

Commands tagged gnu screen - commandlinefu.com
Great UNIX/Bash commands tagged with gnu screen - see these and many other invaluable command-line nuggets at commandlinefu.com

spesmilo/electrum · GitHub
electrum - Electrum; Bitcoin thin client

Review: OpenShift shines for developers and ops
Cartridges represent pluggable components that can be combined within a single application. These include programming languages, database engines, ...

Also sometimes, using a different, clean session may help. If you have any insight in this problem, please get in touch with me. After choosing ...

10.5: Set up Time Machine on a NAS in three easy steps - Mac OS X Hints
Create a sparsebundle image on your local system. I'm not sure of the reason why, but I haven't been able to kick Time Machine off just by specifying ...