making and burning disk images with disk utility

Hi all,

I'm having difficulty duplicating dual Mac/Win data CDs and I'm hoping
someone here can point me in the right direction. I have googled for this
and found MANY descriptions of doing exactly what I'm doing, and yet it's
not working for me. I have a CD-ROM that was originally created with Toast.
It's been years since that was done and I can't find the original Toast
files. I have all the pieces, but rather than reconstruct it, I wanted to
just make an image of the disk to store on a hard drive so I can burn new
copies whenever I want without having to use Toast again to duplicate it
from another CD. I can't figure out a way to do that with Toast. When I
make a new image from Disk Utility, the disk ends up not being complete
under Windows.

Here's what I've tried (procedures that are outlined on several sites):

1. In Disk Utility, I select the volume on the CD and click New Image. It
creates a dmg file.  I then pop out that disk and put in a blank and click
burn.  It creates something that works on the Mac, but under Windows, it
sees the disk (it's burnt and has a file system) but nothing is actually on
it.

2. I've also tried using dd at the command line to create an image.  The same
thing happens when I burn it. Fine on a Mac, not on a PC.

The original disk does work correctly.  If I use Toast to duplicate it, I
also get a working disk.  I'd really like to make a valid disk image that I
can use for burning so I have easy access to it on my hard drive whenever I
need it. I have several of these disks that I may need to burn from time
to time.

Thanks for any suggestions.

--
Larry Moss, http://www.airigami.com
PO Box 23523, Rochester, NY 14692, (585) 359-8695

In article <slrniamqgl.8ff.moss@beaker.setup>,
 Larry Moss <moss@airigami.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm having difficulty duplicating dual Mac/Win data CDs and I'm hoping
> someone here can point me in the right direction. I have googled for this
> and found MANY descriptions of doing exactly what I'm doing, and yet it's
> not working for me. I have a CD-ROM that was originally created with Toast.
> It's been years since that was done and I can't find the original Toast
> files. I have all the pieces, but rather than reconstruct it, I wanted to
> just make an image of the disk to store on a hard drive so I can burn new
> copies whenever I want without having to use Toast again to duplicate it
> from another CD. I can't figure out a way to do that with Toast. When I
> make a new image from Disk Utility, the disk ends up not being complete
> under Windows.
>
> Here's what I've tried (procedures that are outlined on several sites):
>
> 1. In Disk Utility, I select the volume on the CD and click New Image. It
> creates a dmg file.  I then pop out that disk and put in a blank and click
> burn.  It creates something that works on the Mac, but under Windows, it
> sees the disk (it's burnt and has a file system) but nothing is actually on
> it.
>
> 2. I've also tried using dd at the command line to create an image.  The same
> thing happens when I burn it. Fine on a Mac, not on a PC.
>
> The original disk does work correctly.  If I use Toast to duplicate it, I
> also get a working disk.  I'd really like to make a valid disk image that I
> can use for burning so I have easy access to it on my hard drive whenever I
> need it. I have several of these disks that I may need to burn from time
> to time.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.

You can ask Toast to duplicate it, but instead of hitting the 'burn'
button, go to the file menu and choose 'save as disk image'.

You'll get a file with a .toast extention that can be mounted or copied
and burned to media.

--
Sara

Run out of ideas for a sig for the moment
0
Sara
10/6/2010 12:04:24 PM
On 2010-10-06, Sara <saramerriman@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <slrniamqgl.8ff.moss@beaker.setup>,
>  Larry Moss <moss@airigami.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm having difficulty duplicating dual Mac/Win data CDs and I'm hoping
>> someone here can point me in the right direction.

> You can ask Toast to duplicate it, but instead of hitting the 'burn'
> button, go to the file menu and choose 'save as disk image'.

Thank you!  I completely missed that.  I'll try it when I get in to the
office tomorrow morning. (I do see that in Toast now, but the disk I need
is sitting on my desk.)

--
Larry Moss, http://www.airigami.com
PO Box 23523, Rochester, NY 14692, (585) 359-8695
Airigami: The fine art of folding air.
0
Larry
10/6/2010 9:34:47 PM
On 2010-10-06, Larry Moss <moss@airigami.com> wrote:
> On 2010-10-06, Sara <saramerriman@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>> In article <slrniamqgl.8ff.moss@beaker.setup>,
>>  Larry Moss <moss@airigami.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm having difficulty duplicating dual Mac/Win data CDs and I'm hoping
>>> someone here can point me in the right direction.
>
>> You can ask Toast to duplicate it, but instead of hitting the 'burn'
>> button, go to the file menu and choose 'save as disk image'.
>
> Thank you!  I completely missed that.  I'll try it when I get in to the
> office tomorrow morning. (I do see that in Toast now, but the disk I need
> is sitting on my desk.)

Thanks. Worked perfectly. Since I have something that works, I'm happy.
But I still have an academic interest in why this didn't work with Disk
Utility or dd. Can anyone offer an explanation? It seems to me that if I
use dd to read the entire device, I should be able to create an image file
that can be used for burning more disks.  What am I missing?

Sara, thanks again. Your advice was all I needed in this case.

--
Larry Moss, http://www.airigami.com
PO Box 23523, Rochester, NY 14692, (585) 359-8695
Airigami: The fine art of folding air.
0
Larry
10/7/2010 5:55:03 PM
In article <slrnias2bn.dfi.moss@beaker.setup>,
 Larry Moss <moss@airigami.com> wrote:

> On 2010-10-06, Larry Moss <moss@airigami.com> wrote:
> > On 2010-10-06, Sara <saramerriman@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> >> You can ask Toast to duplicate it, but instead of hitting the 'burn'
> >> button, go to the file menu and choose 'save as disk image'.
> >
> > Thank you!  I completely missed that.  I'll try it when I get in to the
> > office tomorrow morning. (I do see that in Toast now, but the disk I need
> > is sitting on my desk.)
>
> Thanks. Worked perfectly. Since I have something that works, I'm happy.
> But I still have an academic interest in why this didn't work with Disk
> Utility or dd. Can anyone offer an explanation? It seems to me that if I
> use dd to read the entire device, I should be able to create an image file
> that can be used for burning more disks.  What am I missing?
>
> Sara, thanks again. Your advice was all I needed in this case.

Glad I could help - I get so much good advice on usenet, it feels good
to be on the other side for once.

--
Sara

Run out of ideas for a sig for the moment
0
Sara

Disk Utility on system disk
If I do a disk image of a system disk from that system, I realise there is unpredictability in the state of actively written files and that to be realy safe, one should boot from different disk and backup the system disk. BUT... In real life, will the disk utility generally produce a bootable system drive if it is backing up the active system disk ? (that disk would have few user data files, mostly statis software and obviously page files whose data is not important). When I run it, it doesn't seem to complain about anything. Would it if it were unable to backup some fil...

Disk Utility chokes on disk images
After a clean install and upgrade to 10.3.1 + most recent security updates, Panther seems OK except that disk images cannot be mounted, nor can they be created. Upon mounting, a window is displayed called "Warning", saying "The following disk images failed to mount", followed by a list of each disk image I try, listing its name and always the same error number: -536870208 I tried 3 or 4 disk images from different sources. Also tried under different, cleanly created, accounts. When creating a new image, Disk Utility starts, but then gives the very same error messag...

CDR-W Disk for burning Disk images
Can I use a CDR-W Disk to write disk images (with which burners normally "close the project") and still erase and use them later? Somebody said that If I were to burn more than 600 MB of data on a CDR-W Disk I would render it useless. Is there any truth in this? How many times can I erase and reuse a CDR-W? Please help with your answers, Thanx in advance Cru_______x .. -------------------------------------- Mike Richter, were you born with "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face? ----------------------------------...

Which disk for system disk
A quick question regarding system disks: If you had a machine with 2 SCSI disks (one 18GB one 70GB) which would you use as the system disk? Would you put all the software on the 70GB disk, along with the user files? or put the minimum on the system disk and use the larger disk for applications and user files (email etc.) Any ideas? Eddie wrote: > A quick question regarding system disks: > > If you had a machine with 2 SCSI disks (one 18GB one 70GB) > which would you use as the system disk? > > Would you put all the software on the 70GB disk, along with the user > f...

disk image utility, FS II scenery disks
seeing if I can copy data of a C64 Flight simulator II disk image, save it to PC hard drive (as seperate files) Is there a utility that will let me do this? the goal is to get the scenery files and inject them into an apple II disk image, for use with the apple II version of FS II. (what got me interested in trying was a post to comp.sys.apple2 newsgroup) Rich On Feb 7, 2:07 pm, aiiad...@gmail.com wrote: > seeing if I can copy data of a C64 Flight simulator II disk image, > save it to PC hard drive (as seperate files) > > Is there a utility that will let me do this? > > ...

Are "disk images" disk images or not?
I have seen the question "What are disk images" answered numerous times with the assurance that they are exact sector-by-sector copies of real physical disks. But my own eyes seem to contradict that apparently standard answer. Disregarding the instant .dmg "images" which can be cobbled together in folders on the desktop, and concentrating on sincere attempts to create real images of real physical disks with Disk Utility, if .dmg's are real sector-by-sector copies, how come they shrink in size when files are deleted from their source-devices to make the "images&quo...

Making disk images of NorthStar CP/M disks with Catweasel
Hi, Since my last attempt a starting on thread on this subject got threadjacked, I thought I'd try again. No harm done though, Alan is a friend from ALPACA and I think it was just an honest mistake or possibly Google news got confused somehow. Before you flame me, please note the NorthStar Horizon runs CP/M and thus this subject is on topic for comp.os.cpm as the tool can be used to recover those vintage NorthStar CP/M disks. Assuming I ever finish the darned thing. I have built a prototype disk imaging tool for making disk images for use in the Dave Dunfield Northstar Horizon simulat...

Disk Utility and Disk Repair
With 10.4.9, I thought I could repair the disk right from Disk Utility instead of using the installation CD. Now the repair button is grayed out and I can only verify it. Has it always been so and I'm just senile? Most grateful. In article <Zc8ii.3$4J.2@newsfe12.lga>, Cris <cris@noinfo.com> wrote: > With 10.4.9, I thought I could repair the disk right from Disk Utility > instead of using the installation CD. Now the repair button is grayed > out and I can only verify it. Has it always been so and I'm just senile? > Not sure about your senility, but Disk...

Disk images with disk keys??
After years of searching I finally found a program and was able to sucessfully copy it from the original 5 1/4 disk to an image. It is a copy protected disk which I used SST to copy. However, now when I try to access it in an emulator it asks for the original disk. Is there a way around this? After some research I found out the original has some sort of disk key. Dan, Good...You did to use NIB image for emulator after you have done with SST Copy. There is only one way to disable copy protection like keys by modifying assembly language in sector by sector. It is likely to replace...

Free
I am getting ready to move and have probably a couple hundred 3.5" disks from my Apple IIgs days way back when. I also have some 5.25" disks as well, although not nearly as many. I cannot verify if the contents of what is on the disks is any good anymore, but I was a "warez pup" back in the days and the 3.5" disks were archives of stuff I had downloaded. I would like to donate these as blanks to whoever wants them. I cannot come to grips with simply throwing them away. All I ask is that I be paid shipping costs in return. If you are interested, please contact me by e-mail. Please give my childhood memories a good home and spare them from the trash heap. I'd also like to mention that local pickup is available for no cost what so ever - I am in Pittsburgh, PA -- 15213 zip code, not far from CMU. On Apr 28, 5:24=A0pm, gol...@gmail.com wrote: > I am getting ready to move and have probably a couple hundred 3.5" > disks from my Apple IIgs days way back when. =A0I also have some 5.25" > disks as well, although not nearly as many. =A0I cannot verify if the > contents of what is on the disks is any good anymore, but I was a > "warez pup" back in the days and the 3.5" disks were archives of stuff > I had downloaded. =A0I would like to donate these as blanks to whoever > wants them. =A0I cannot come to grips with simply throwing them away. > All I ask is that I be paid shipping co...

Disk images, virtual disks etc
I can happily connect an ODS-5 disk to a USB reader and have something like WinHex read the physical disk to display the ODS signatures, layout etc. Is there some way that I can make a container disk look the same? When I tried to look at the container disk from PersonalAlpha and FreeAXP using WinHex, they didn't look the same as reading the physical disk in WinHex. Cheers On Sep 4, 4:12=A0am, Sum1 <n...@real.address.com> wrote: > I can happily connect an ODS-5 disk to a USB reader and have something > like WinHex read the physical disk to display the ODS signatures, ...

Restoring disk images to floppie disks
Hello! I have here an S100 based system that can handle a single 5-1/4 sized floppy disk drive. I believe the original design was as a microprocessor trainer. As to why it had a floppy slot in the front, but no drive, that part escaped me when I bought it from someone who, ah, discovered that I was interested in these things from within this group. So should I decide to install a disk drive inside it, and naturally want to boot CP/M-80 on it, are there any suggestions for this restoration from the available disk images? (Finding blank disks of course will be the problem.) I of course do hap...

Copying system disk to standby disk
Hi, I have a Tru64UNIX system that has 1 system disk with the root, swap, usr, var and tmp filesystems on. usr, var and tmp are all in the same Advfs domain. I want to copy the system disk to a standby disk that I can boot off in the event of the system disk drive failing. What is the best way to do this? Thanks Andrew andrewr@cornasys.com wrote: > Hi, > > I have a Tru64UNIX system that has 1 system disk with the root, swap, > usr, var and tmp filesystems on. usr, var and tmp are all in the same > Advfs domain. > > I want to copy the system dis...

Disk Copy versus Disk Utility
I downloaded disk images for ffmpegX 0.0.9y and Firefox 3.6.11 using Firefox 2.0.0.20 and OS 10.2.8. Both of these disk images result in Disk Copy (OS 10.2.8) giving the message "No Mountable File Systems". Would this error message be a result of using this old (OS 10.2.8) version of Disk Copy to try to mount these disk images? --- Joe Joe <none@given.now> wrote: > I downloaded disk images for ffmpegX 0.0.9y and Firefox 3.6.11 using > Firefox 2.0.0.20 and OS 10.2.8. > > Both of these disk images result in Disk Copy (OS 10.2.8) giving the > ...

Disk Utility -- Waiting for the disks to reappear
How long should I wait? I have a Drobo S that has 3 1Tb drives and 2 3Tb drives. Logical capacity is 17.59 Tb, based on 5 4Tb drives, I guess. The actual physical capacity of my setup is about 5.5Tb. It is currently partitioned into 10 150Gb partitions for nightly backups and a remaining partition of about 4Tb for photos and music. I originally used Disk Utility to set up these partitions. While this is not supported by Drobo, it works and has worked fine for years. I am trying to split the last partition into 2 2Tb partitions using Disk Utility. I first deleted ever...

Non-System Disk or Disk Error
Gee, after all these Windows folks claimed that modern PC's do not choke when booting with a non-bootable floppy in the drive, I decided to try it with the Dell Latitude D600 sitting on my desk. The result: Non-System Disk or Disk Error Replace and strike any key when ready Well, this is better than saying the keyboard is not found - press any key to continue. :) Anyway, *of course* I know what to do... but for many users, this is where they panic. And, as I wrote about recently - sometimes this is where they pay, and, including weekend and emergency rates, pay quite a bit....

Best utility to use when Disk Utility won't see the disk?
Best utility to use when Disk Utility won't see the disk? I can hear and feel the head moving, but no joy. Walter Bushell <proto@panix.com> wrote: > Best utility to use when Disk Utility won't see the disk? > > I can hear and feel the head moving, but no joy. I've used Data Rescue II to get data from several drives when Disk Utility and Disk Warrior couldn't help. You can download and run the trial version to see if there's any hope, then pay for it if and when it tells you it can salvage things. -- My latest dance routine <http://www...

Are 3rd party disk utilities better than Apple's disk utility?
Are utilities like Norton Utilities for Macintosh(NUM) or Alsoft's DiskWarrior better than Apple's Disk Utility? Are they worth the money and do they find and fix problems that Apple's does not? Frequently,maybe half the time, that I perform any action which results in disk activity, such as launching a program or opening or saving a file, there is a long pause before I detect any disk activity. During that time, either the dock icon bounces or the spinning rainbow cursor is on the window for the program trying to do the disk access. Eventually, the disk access commences and p...

Disk image/real disk weirdness
I got this disk that i/o errors on one file when I read it. Got it to Advanced Demuffin to a normal DOS 3.3 without error, i/o errors same place. Pulled it up with ADTpro, it doesn't i/o error there but it breaks when it would ordinarily do a disk status check (I think). Then I replace the DOS with UniDOS and it works fine... but when I bring it back to the hardware it i/o errors as before... very strange. - btw - it's Word Wizards v1.0, by MECC -uso. On Jan 25, 3:27=A0pm, lyricalnanoha <lyricalnan...@usotsuki.hoshinet.org> wrote: > I got this disk that i/o errors o...

Does Disk Utility come with Mac OS? (new to MAC)
I am looking to help out a friend with some stuff on his new MAC. He is looking to install a program that is in DMG format. I read a couple things on this forum and I am wondering if Disk Utility comes with the MAC OS or is it a seperate program that needs to be bought and installed? * posted via http://www.mymac.ws * please report abuse to http://xinbox.com/mymac In article <u1114533248@aknode.invalid>, varcos <darren.lapierre@telus-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote: > I am wondering if Disk Utility comes with the MAC OS or is it a > seperate program that needs to be bought ...

Disk Utility Burn
When I put a blank DVD into a Macbook on Snow Leopard, Disk Utility comes up, pressing the Burn button gets you the file system and choosing the files wanted mostly does not result in the Burn button doing anything at all. I have to piss off DU and burn via another method, easy enough I guess, but what goes on with DU? Is the Burn for something special like disk images there? -- dorayme dorayme <dorayme@optusnet.com.au> wrote: > When I put a blank DVD into a Macbook on Snow Leopard, Disk Utility > comes up, pressing the Burn button gets you the file system and...

Disk Imaging Utility
When I first started working on this project, I did not think this would be possible with Visual Basic, but to my surprise, I found enough information to create a nice imaging tool. The only issue, it only works with disk volumes. Although, this is still very useful, I would like to mimic the operation of commercial disk imaging utilities like Ghost. The commercial products can perform an image or disk to disk copy of an entire disk and all volumes on the disk. I believe I can use the following API and control codes, among others, to perform the tasks I am looking for, put can not find VB exam...

Mac Disk Utility
I'm not aware of a decent disk utility for Mac since Norton Utilities 8.0 came out for OS 10.3 and under. Since Norton Utilities is not supporting any future Mac products, I am forced to find something else. Would anyone please recommend a disk utility that they have found particularly useful at fixing disk errors for 10.4 and up, and/or the new iMac with the Intel chips? Thanks in advance, JL On 2007-06-06 20:54:54 -0500, "Jlen7" <jlen7@yahoo.com> said: > I'm not aware of a decent disk utility for Mac since Norton Utilities 8.0 > came out for OS 10.3 a...

Making A Disk Image
Just purchased a new 17" MacBook Pro, and will soon be taking it on vacation. I'd like to take a couple of movies with me to watch on the plane, but i don't want to have to physically take the discs with me. I tried creating a disk image using Disk Utility, but I got an I/O error message while creating the image from the DVD... What am i doing wrong?? -- denis "your worst day at the ballpark, is better then your best day at work!!" In article <bush-54FC1B.13540830042007@news.sf.sbcglobal.net>, Dennis <bush@aol.com> wrote: > Just purchased a new ...

Web resources about - making and burning disk images with disk utility - comp.sys.mac.system

The Burning Bed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Burning Bed is the name of both a non-fiction book by Faith McNulty about battered housewife Francine Hughes , and the TV-movie adaptation ...

Person flees burning home as firie hurt at Salisbury East - AdelaideNow Search Search
A PERSON has escaped uninjured but a firefighter was hurt after an Adelaide home was engulfed in flames.

Spurned property buyer Fabio Deluca jailed for burning down million-dollar house
A real-estate spruiker has been jailed for torching a million-dollar home as revenge for being rejected in a bid to buy the property.

Tasmanian fires: burning on both fronts
Not for the first time, a war is being fought over Tasmania's world heritage wilderness. This time, as more than 20 fires continue to burn across ...

Spurned property buyer Fabio Deluca jailed for burning down million-dollar house
A real-estate spruiker has been jailed for torching a million-dollar home as revenge for being rejected in a bid to buy the property.

Officer who saved baby from burning apartment in Pasadena speaking to media
The firefighter who rescued a baby from a burning apartment in Pasadena is speaking to the media. [center][url HREF=&#34;http:&#47;&#47;abc1 ...

Wisconsin Track Star Is Burning Down Instagram, Dating NFL Star
Wisconsin Track Star Is Burning Down Instagram, Dating NFL Star

'The Flash' Season 2 Spoilers: 7 Burning Questions We Have After Watching Episode 14
Here are seven burning questions we need answered after watching season 2, episode 14 of "The Flash," titled "Escape from Earth-2."

At Pasquale Jones, Funk Classics and a Pair of Wood-Burning Ovens
... house are along a counter that skirts the kitchen, where cooks — including chefs Ryan Hardy and Tim Caspare — minister to a pair of wood-burning ...

The X-Files Finale Cliffhanger: Chris Carter Urges Fans "Don't Give Up" and Answers Burning Questions ...
E! Online The X-Files Finale Cliffhanger: Chris Carter Urges Fans "Don't Give Up" and Answers Burning Questions E! Online The X-Files is done. ...