John Varela
0
John

On 2016-12-19, John Varela <newlamps@verizon.net> wrote:
> My wife and I would like to share all our Contacts on our iMacs. It
> appears to me that contacts can only be shared between computers
> logged into iCloud with the same Apple ID. Is there some way to share
> using separate Apple IDs? And if so, how?

You can share the contacts of one account with another by opening the
Contacts application on one of the Macs, going into Preferences >
Accounts, clicking the [+] button to add an account, and following the
prompts to add the credentials for the other account.

Alternatively, you can do the same thing in System Preferences >
Internet Accounts (click the [+] button and follow the prompts).

My wife and I do this to share our contacts, and it works well. The only
drawback I've seen is that when you initially add the shared account,
the "My Card" feature of Contacts (see the Card > Make This My Card, Go
To My Card, and Share My Card menu commands) becomes confused in that it
thinks my *wife's* card is my card. This can manifest itself in
interesting ways; my macOS account image was changed to my wife's face,
and so on. But that's easily fixed by opening Contacts, selecting my
actual card, and choosing Card > Make This My Card from the menu bar.
And it doesn't ever happen again after the initial share set up. So it's
not a big problem - just an annoyance.

JR
0
Jolly
12/19/2016 8:07:15 PM
0
David
12/19/2016 8:20:50 PM
John Varela <newlamps@verizon.net> wrote:

> My wife and I would like to share all our Contacts on our iMacs. It
> appears to me that contacts can only be shared between computers
> logged into iCloud with the same Apple ID. Is there some way to
> share using separate Apple IDs? And if so, how?

Yes. You can be signed in to a second iCloud account (with a separate
Apple ID), which can be shared between people. Contacts assigned to that
account are synced between computers signed in to that account.

This allows you either of two modes of operation:

(a) Keep using your personal iCloud account for some contacts, but move
most of the contacts to the shared iCloud account.

(b) Move all contacts to the shared iCloud account and stop using the
personal iCloud account for contacts.

You can get started on the Mac as follows. (I'm assuming a recent macOS
or OS X version - I'm running macOS 10.12.2 Sierra, but OS X 10.11 El
Capitan is pretty similar.)

System Preferences > Internet Accounts
Click the iCloud link on the right
Create Apple ID button
(Follow instructions - the Apple ID will be in @icloud.com)

Once set up you end up with a second iCloud account in the list, which
says "This is not your primary iCloud account. Only your primary account
can use iCloud for Safari, Photos, Documents, Keychain, Back to My Mac
or Find My Mac."

You can choose which other features are enabled for that account: Mail,
Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, Notes. In this case you want Contacts.

The next step is to use the Contacts app, and drag the desired contacts
over from your primary iCloud account to the shared one. The left column
lists each account as a heading, and you can see an "All [account name]"
item under the heading, which can be used as a drag target.

Then repeat the process on your wife's computer (this time signing in to
the existing Apple ID in System Preferences > Internet Accounts).

As a safety precaution you might like to export a group vCard containing
all contacts on your wife's computer, before doing the next step.

There will probably be some degree of manual merging or dupicate
elimination, assuming both of you have ended up with copies of the same
contacts. If you delete the duplicates, make sure you delete the ones in
your wife's personal iCloud account, not the ones in the shared account.

Final steps:

- If you don't have any contacts left in your personal iCloud accounts,
you can turn off Contacts for that account (in System Preferences >
iCloud or Internet Accounts), which will leave both of you with just the
shared account for Contacts.

- If you have any iOS devices, they will also need to sign in to the
shared iCloud account for contacts.

In iOS 10 this is where you find the settings:

Setings > Contacts > Accounts
Add Account

You may also want to disable contacts for the primary iCloud account, if
you are completely switching to the shared account.

--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz
wrote:

> On 2016-12-19, John Varela <newlamps@verizon.net> wrote:
> > My wife and I would like to share all our Contacts on our iMacs. It
> > appears to me that contacts can only be shared between computers
> > logged into iCloud with the same Apple ID. Is there some way to share
> > using separate Apple IDs? And if so, how?
>
> You can share the contacts of one account with another by opening the
> Contacts application on one of the Macs, going into Preferences >
> Accounts, clicking the [+] button to add an account, and following the
> prompts to add the credentials for the other account.

Thanks for the response. There were more steps than your answer
suggests, but I did get it working at least insofar as my contacts
are now all in her contacts list. I repeated the process at her
computer's end but her contacts have not appeared in my list.

I may futz around with it some more to see if I can make both lists
identical, but this is good enough since I had many more contacts
than she did.

> Alternatively, you can do the same thing in System Preferences >
> Internet Accounts (click the [+] button and follow the prompts).
>
> My wife and I do this to share our contacts, and it works well. The only
> drawback I've seen is that when you initially add the shared account,
> the "My Card" feature of Contacts (see the Card > Make This My Card, Go
> To My Card, and Share My Card menu commands) becomes confused in that it
> thinks my *wife's* card is my card. This can manifest itself in
> interesting ways; my macOS account image was changed to my wife's face,
> and so on. But that's easily fixed by opening Contacts, selecting my
> actual card, and choosing Card > Make This My Card from the menu bar.
> And it doesn't ever happen again after the initial share set up. So it's
> not a big problem - just an annoyance.

--
John Varela
0
John
12/21/2016 11:12:48 PM
On Mon, 19 Dec 2016 20:20:50 UTC, David Ritz <dritz@mindspring.com>
wrote:

--
John Varela
0
Empson) wrote:

> John Varela <newlamps@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> > My wife and I would like to share all our Contacts on our iMacs. It
> > appears to me that contacts can only be shared between computers
> > logged into iCloud with the same Apple ID. Is there some way to
> > share using separate Apple IDs? And if so, how?
>
> Yes. You can be signed in to a second iCloud account (with a separate
> Apple ID), which can be shared between people. Contacts assigned to that
> account are synced between computers signed in to that account.

That works! Thank you. All contacts appear on both Macs, and I have
added dummy accounts at each computer and the dummies appear on the
other computer.

However, I am having a problem getting the iPad to use the shared
account.

In addition to my iCloud ID I have an old mac.com ID that I never
use. So I adopted the mac.com ID for the shared account, and it
works well between my iMac and wife's Macbook. When I try to set it
up in iOS, however, Settings asks for a Server. It can't verify the
account whether I enter mac.com, icloud.com, or apple.com as the
Server. I am certain that the user ID and password are correct
because I copied them over from 1Password.

Do you know what should be entered in the Server field?

	<snip>

--
John Varela
0
<newlamps@verizon.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Dec 2016 20:31:23 UTC, dempson@actrix.gen.nz (David
> Empson) wrote:
>
> > John Varela <newlamps@verizon.net> wrote:
> >
> > > My wife and I would like to share all our Contacts on our iMacs. It
> > > appears to me that contacts can only be shared between computers
> > > logged into iCloud with the same Apple ID. Is there some way to
> > > share using separate Apple IDs? And if so, how?
> >
> > Yes. You can be signed in to a second iCloud account (with a separate
> > Apple ID), which can be shared between people. Contacts assigned to that
> > account are synced between computers signed in to that account.
>
> That works! Thank you. All contacts appear on both Macs, and I have
> added dummy accounts at each computer and the dummies appear on the
> other computer.
>
> However, I am having a problem getting the iPad to use the shared
> account.
>
> In addition to my iCloud ID I have an old mac.com ID that I never
> use. So I adopted the mac.com ID for the shared account, and it
> works well between my iMac and wife's Macbook. When I try to set it
> up in iOS, however, Settings asks for a Server. It can't verify the
> account whether I enter mac.com, icloud.com, or apple.com as the
> Server. I am certain that the user ID and password are correct
> because I copied them over from 1Password.
>
> Do you know what should be entered in the Server field?

NEVER MIND.I figured it out and now everything is working.

Thanks again.

--
John Varela
0