Unwanted screen re-organization

Even since I moved off Snow Leopard (at Yosemite now), OS-X insists on
reorganizing my displays whenever one of them is turned off (aka: my
TV). This happens twice, since I turn off the TV and then the DENON.

Each time, the remaining screens flicker a number of times. And windows
on the no-longer-connected screen are moved to the remaining screen and
resized).

I've learned to minimize the windows on the TV before turning it off, so
that they "remain" and when IO next turn on the TV, I canm maximize and
they return to their original position. (turning TV off/on may also be
switching the DENON to view AppleTV or BluRay instead of MAC).

My mac froze this week and had to reboot. Now, this process has gotten
worse, it gathers all windows onto 1 screen even though 2 remain alive
when I turn off the TV. And the funny thing is that it isn't always the
left one. Sometimes, it moves everything (including menu bar) to the
right screen.

(I have it set as a single space in the system preferences so I can
scale windows to be bigger than one screen, something which I often use
with xterm for instance), and having seopaerate spaces really messaes
when you have Adobe apps with the content on one screen and the various
contrrol windows on another screen).

I've had that Mac since June. What would have caused it to start moving
all windows to 1 screen instead of keeping content on screen that remain
alive like before ?

I take it there are no magic "defaults write" incantations that would
bring back Snow Leopard behaviour of leaving windows alive on screesn
that no longer are ?

0
JF

In message <5855d59f$0$11992$c3e8da3$3a1a2348@news.astraweb.com>
  JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca> wrote:

> Even since I moved off Snow Leopard (at Yosemite now), OS-X insists on
> reorganizing my displays whenever one of them is turned off (aka: my
> TV). This happens twice, since I turn off the TV and then the DENON.

> Each time, the remaining screens flicker a number of times. And windows
> on the no-longer-connected screen are moved to the remaining screen and
> resized).

OS X has *always* moved windows when a second display is disconnected.
System 7 did this. Pretty sure System 6 did as well.

--
Can I borrow your underpants for 10 minutes?
0
<g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:

> > Even since I moved off Snow Leopard (at Yosemite now), OS-X insists on
> > reorganizing my displays whenever one of them is turned off (aka: my
> > TV). This happens twice, since I turn off the TV and then the DENON.
>
> > Each time, the remaining screens flicker a number of times. And windows
> > on the no-longer-connected screen are moved to the remaining screen and
> > resized).
>
> OS X has *always* moved windows when a second display is disconnected.
> System 7 did this. Pretty sure System 6 did as well.

only for stuff that's on the second display.

for stuff on the main display, no change occurs.
0
nospam
12/18/2016 3:19:39 AM
On 2016-12-17 21:12, Lewis wrote:

> OS X has *always* moved windows when a second display is disconnected.
> System 7 did this. Pretty sure System 6 did as well.

2009 Mac pro with Snow Leopard: at night I turned off my TV and stereo.
In morning, I would turn them back on and the windows that were on the
TV are still there.

If, while the TV was off, I needed to access those windows, I needed to
blindly move the mouse over to the "virtual" TV and hope I click on
window's title bar and dragged it to the left on one of the 2 remaining
screens.

Ever since I moved to Yosemite, turning off the TV causes the 2
remaining screens to blink a number of times over a number of seconds
and any windows that were on the TV and moved and resized to fit the the
first screen. So when I turn the TV back on in the mroning, I have to
not only move a bunch of windows back to the TV, but resize them as well.

And this week, it started to do this to my second screen, when my 3rd
screen is turned off (the TV) even thoug second screen remains on. And
sometimes, that second screen becomes the promary screen (with first
screen emptied).

0
JF