Using Disk Utility to partition a disk without losing data

I have a 500gig external USB hard drive. I don't want Time Machine to
fill up the drive to a point, where I cannot add files to t manually. So
I'd like to create a 200gig partition exclusively for Time Machine. I
know Disk Utility can partition an external hard drive, but from what
I've read (Googling), it does not partition without erasing data.

Is it possible to use Disk Utility to partition an external USB hard
drive, without losing the data currently on the external USB hard drive?
If so, how? If not, what can I do?
0
20070911 (24)

In article <6NGdncjVc69WLrLanZ2dnUVZ_uuqnZ2d@giganews.com>,
 Chris Ilias <20070911@ilias.ca> wrote:

> Is it possible to use Disk Utility to partition an external USB hard
> drive, without losing the data currently on the external USB hard
> drive? If so, how? If not, what can I do?

Yes, it is possible, but only in Leopard.  You do have to have
contiguous free space, though.

--
Support the troops:  Bring them home ASAP.
0
Michelle Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote:

> In article <6NGdncjVc69WLrLanZ2dnUVZ_uuqnZ2d@giganews.com>,
>  Chris Ilias <20070911@ilias.ca> wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to use Disk Utility to partition an external USB hard
> > drive, without losing the data currently on the external USB hard
> > drive? If so, how? If not, what can I do?
>
> Yes, it is possible, but only in Leopard.  You do have to have
> contiguous free space, though.

I've found that Leopard's Disk Utility is somewhat inconsistent about
this.

On _some_ drives it lets you resize partitions and shows how much space
is used on each partition. I've done this successfully on the internal
drive on a new Intel iMac (which would be GUID partitioned). New
computer, so potential data loss wasn't a worry.

On other drives it claims to be able to resize partitions without losing
data, but the display doesn't show the proportion of used space, and it
seems to let you resize the partition to less than the amount of used
space.

I think the former behaviour applies to all GUID drives and the latter
to all APM drives. I don't have any sacrificial APM drives to see what
happens if you actually let it go ahead and resize partitions.

I'm working towards clearing off one of my external drives so I can try
this, but won't be ready for a while.

--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz
Chris Ilias <20070911@ilias.ca> wrote:
> Is it possible to use Disk Utility to partition an external USB hard
> drive, without losing the data currently on the external USB hard drive?
> If so, how? If not, what can I do?

It is supposed to be possible with Leopard, and/or with a few third party
utilitles.  But I would *never* attempt this without having all the data
backed up somewhere.  And if the data is backed up, you might as well
just repartition the normal way and then restore the data from backup.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
0
me9 (1688)
11/6/2007 6:52:36 PM
In article <UJ2Yi.4371$8S5.408@edtnps82>, me@home.spamsucks.ca (Kir�ly)
wrote:

> It is supposed to be possible with Leopard, and/or with a few third
> party utilitles.  But I would *never* attempt this without having all
> the data backed up somewhere.  And if the data is backed up, you
> might as well just repartition the normal way and then restore the
> data from backup.

Why take a few hours to do what can be done safely in a few minutes?

--
Support the troops:  Bring them home ASAP.
0
michelle14 (19004)
11/6/2007 7:17:25 PM
Michelle Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote:
> > It is supposed to be possible with Leopard, and/or with a few third
> > party utilitles.  But I would *never* attempt this without having all
> > the data backed up somewhere.  And if the data is backed up, you
> > might as well just repartition the normal way and then restore the
> > data from backup.
>
> Why take a few hours to do what can be done safely in a few minutes?

I was thinking of the pre-Leopard days, where only paid third
party software claimed to be able to do this, and even those all came
with huge warnings to make sure that all data was backed up before
running them.

My school of thought was "If I have a backup, why pay money for their
stinking program in the first place.  Just repartition with the free
tools that come with OS X and restore from backup."

I suppose if Leopard comes with free tools to repartition without losing
data, it might as well be worth it to do so.  After you back up, of
course.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
0
me9 (1688)
11/7/2007 12:46:30 AM
On 11/6/07 1:23 AM, _David Empson_ spoke thusly:
> Michelle Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote:
>
>> In article <6NGdncjVc69WLrLanZ2dnUVZ_uuqnZ2d@giganews.com>,
>>  Chris Ilias <20070911@ilias.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> Is it possible to use Disk Utility to partition an external USB hard
>>> drive, without losing the data currently on the external USB hard
>>> drive? If so, how? If not, what can I do?
>> Yes, it is possible, but only in Leopard.  You do have to have
>> contiguous free space, though.
>
> I've found that Leopard's Disk Utility is somewhat inconsistent about
> this.
>
> On _some_ drives it lets you resize partitions and shows how much space
> is used on each partition. I've done this successfully on the internal
> drive on a new Intel iMac (which would be GUID partitioned). New
> computer, so potential data loss wasn't a worry.
>
> On other drives it claims to be able to resize partitions without losing
> data, but the display doesn't show the proportion of used space, and it
> seems to let you resize the partition to less than the amount of used
> space.
>
> I think the former behaviour applies to all GUID drives and the latter
> to all APM drives. I don't have any sacrificial APM drives to see what
> happens if you actually let it go ahead and resize partitions.
>
> I'm working towards clearing off one of my external drives so I can try
> this, but won't be ready for a while.

I found <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306496>, which
says that "Leopard can resize any disk partition except a Master Boot
Record Partition."

My external HD is MBR. I don't have anything that will fit all the info
I currently have on the external HD. What third party apps can I use?
0
20070911 (24)

Disk Utility on system disk
If I do a disk image of a system disk from that system, I realise there is unpredictability in the state of actively written files and that to be realy safe, one should boot from different disk and backup the system disk. BUT... In real life, will the disk utility generally produce a bootable system drive if it is backing up the active system disk ? (that disk would have few user data files, mostly statis software and obviously page files whose data is not important). When I run it, it doesn't seem to complain about anything. Would it if it were unable to backup some fil...

Want to try Linux--how to partition WinXP disk without losing data.
I have searched and cannot find any relevant posts that are newer thanseven or eight years, so here goes. I want to install a version of Linux (not sure which yet) on a single-partition disk with Windows XP already installed on it. Is there a way to create a new partition without losing the data? Back in 2002 I did this on another computer using an older version of Partition Magic and it worked like a champ, but I just tried PM8 on this one to no avail. It acts like it's going to do it, but in the end it doesn't and doesn't even say why. Can the software included with an...

Best utility to use when Disk Utility won't see the disk?
Best utility to use when Disk Utility won't see the disk? I can hear and feel the head moving, but no joy. Walter Bushell <proto@panix.com> wrote: > Best utility to use when Disk Utility won't see the disk? > > I can hear and feel the head moving, but no joy. I've used Data Rescue II to get data from several drives when Disk Utility and Disk Warrior couldn't help. You can download and run the trial version to see if there's any hope, then pay for it if and when it tells you it can salvage things. -- My latest dance routine <http://www...

Using dd to copy disk partition corrupts complete target disk
Hey all, I have an Ultra-10 with Solaris 9: [/home/crew/michael@sunny]uname -a SunOS sunny 5.9 Generic_112233-12 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10 I have 2 disk drives installed. The first one is a Seagate, the second one a Samsung. I want to make a backup copy of my root partition, which currently is on /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0, on my second disk which is /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s0. The target partition is larger than the source partition. # format Searching for disks...done AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS: 0. c0t0d0 <ST39140A cyl 17660 alt 2 hd 16 sec 63> /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@3/dad@0,0 ...

Disk Utility and Disk Repair
With 10.4.9, I thought I could repair the disk right from Disk Utility instead of using the installation CD. Now the repair button is grayed out and I can only verify it. Has it always been so and I'm just senile? Most grateful. In article <Zc8ii.3$4J.2@newsfe12.lga>, Cris <cris@noinfo.com> wrote: > With 10.4.9, I thought I could repair the disk right from Disk Utility > instead of using the installation CD. Now the repair button is grayed > out and I can only verify it. Has it always been so and I'm just senile? > Not sure about your senility, but Disk Utility was never able to repair the startup volume On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 09:46:17 -0500, Cris wrote (in article <Zc8ii.3$4J.2@newsfe12.lga>): > With 10.4.9, I thought I could repair the disk right from Disk Utility > instead of using the installation CD. Now the repair button is grayed > out and I can only verify it. Has it always been so and I'm just senile? > > Most grateful. You may still be senile, but no, you can't repair a boot volume. You can test it but must be booted from install media (or other, such as DiskWarrior, TechTool, etc.), external bootable drive (such as a backup - you *do* have a backup?), or another Mac. -- Tim lance_1012@hotmail.com In article <Zc8ii.3$4J.2@newsfe12.lga>, Cris <cris@noinfo.com> wrote: > With 10.4.9, I thought I could repair the disk right from Disk Utility > instead of using the instal...

Is it possible to mirror disks without physically removing disk the incompletely mirrored disk
# format Searching for disks...done AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS: 0. c1t0d0 <SUN36G cyl 24620 alt 2 hd 27 sec 107> /pci@9,600000/SUNW,qlc@2/fp@0,0/ssd@w21000004cf99eade,0 1. c1t1d0 <SUN36G cyl 24620 alt 2 hd 27 sec 107> /pci@9,600000/SUNW,qlc@2/fp@0,0/ssd@w21000004cfc39dfc,0 Specify disk (enter its number): 0 selecting c1t0d0 [disk formatted] format> part partition> print Current partition table (original): Total disk cylinders available: 24620 + 2 (reserved cylinders) The following is an incomplete mirror disks example, on the SUN36G V480...

Free
I am getting ready to move and have probably a couple hundred 3.5" disks from my Apple IIgs days way back when. I also have some 5.25" disks as well, although not nearly as many. I cannot verify if the contents of what is on the disks is any good anymore, but I was a "warez pup" back in the days and the 3.5" disks were archives of stuff I had downloaded. I would like to donate these as blanks to whoever wants them. I cannot come to grips with simply throwing them away. All I ask is that I be paid shipping costs in return. If you are interested, please contact me by e-mail. Please give my childhood memories a good home and spare them from the trash heap. I'd also like to mention that local pickup is available for no cost what so ever - I am in Pittsburgh, PA -- 15213 zip code, not far from CMU. On Apr 28, 5:24=A0pm, gol...@gmail.com wrote: > I am getting ready to move and have probably a couple hundred 3.5" > disks from my Apple IIgs days way back when. =A0I also have some 5.25" > disks as well, although not nearly as many. =A0I cannot verify if the > contents of what is on the disks is any good anymore, but I was a > "warez pup" back in the days and the 3.5" disks were archives of stuff > I had downloaded. =A0I would like to donate these as blanks to whoever > wants them. =A0I cannot come to grips with simply throwing them away. > All I ask is that I be paid shipping co...

partition size mistakes from Disk Utility partitioning
I'm seeing inconsistent sizes in Disk Utility for partitions of a new Seagate PATA 750GB disk that I've added to my G4. I partitioned it originally a few days ago while running 10.4.9, and I've since then upgraded to 10.4.11. I used Disk Utility to partition the new disk to provide partitions for backups of various partitions on other disks (I use SuperDuper!). In particular I created three 32GB partitions and then I split the rest into two equal-size partitions, which at the time showed up as 270GB each. I had Disk Utility put the default "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)"...

Want to try Linux--how to partition WinXP disk w/o losing data.
I have searched and cannot find any relevant posts that are newer than seven or eight years, so here goes. I want to install a version of Linux (not sure which yet) on a single-partition disk with Windows XP already installed on it. Is there a way to create a new partition without losing the data? Back in 2002 I used a older copy of Partition Magic to do this and it worked like a champ, but I just tried PM8 to no avail. Doesn't work and doesn't even say why. Is the only option to reinstall Windows? Can the software included with any of the Linux distributions accomplish this...

Non-System Disk or Disk Error
Gee, after all these Windows folks claimed that modern PC's do not choke when booting with a non-bootable floppy in the drive, I decided to try it with the Dell Latitude D600 sitting on my desk. The result: Non-System Disk or Disk Error Replace and strike any key when ready Well, this is better than saying the keyboard is not found - press any key to continue. :) Anyway, *of course* I know what to do... but for many users, this is where they panic. And, as I wrote about recently - sometimes this is where they pay, and, including weekend and emergency rates, pay quite a bit. Thee machine really *should* say that the disk it is looking at is the A: drive. That in itself would be a *huge* improvement, without sacrificing *anything*, even if people want to pretend that the PC way is better than the Mac way. And it is a problem that does not exist on Macs. -- Look, this is silly. It's not an argument, it's an armor plated walrus with walnut paneling and an all leather interior. On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 13:04:37 -0700, Snit <SNIT@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID> chose to bless us with the following wisdom: >Gee, after all these Windows folks claimed that modern PC's do not choke >when booting with a non-bootable floppy in the drive, I decided to try it >with the Dell Latitude D600 sitting on my desk. The result: > > Non-System Disk or Disk Error > Replace and strike any key when ready > >Well, this is better than sayin...

Disk Utility -- Waiting for the disks to reappear
How long should I wait? I have a Drobo S that has 3 1Tb drives and 2 3Tb drives. Logical capacity is 17.59 Tb, based on 5 4Tb drives, I guess. The actual physical capacity of my setup is about 5.5Tb. It is currently partitioned into 10 150Gb partitions for nightly backups and a remaining partition of about 4Tb for photos and music. I originally used Disk Utility to set up these partitions. While this is not supported by Drobo, it works and has worked fine for years. I am trying to split the last partition into 2 2Tb partitions using Disk Utility. I first deleted everything on the final partition and then tried to create a 2 Tb partition. This seemed to be working fine until the "Waiting for the disks to reappear" message appeared. It now has been waiting for over 12 hours and it seems like something may be wrong, except I don't have any idea what that might be. I am on a 2.3 GHz MacBook Pro with 8 Gb of RAM. Although all the bays are green in the Drobo and four of the blue capacity lights are lit, Drobo Dashboard does not see the drive. On the other hand, Disk Utility does seem to be working. When I bring up the Force Quit panel it seems to be okay. When I bring up Activity Monitor it shows the following: 551 Disk Utility rbp 1.0 5 76.9 MB Intel (64 bit) 90.4 MB The console log shows the following few entries for Disk Utility: 2013-10-27 16:49:26 -0400: 2013-10-27 16:49:26 -0400: Beginnin...

Mac Disk Utility
I'm not aware of a decent disk utility for Mac since Norton Utilities 8.0 came out for OS 10.3 and under. Since Norton Utilities is not supporting any future Mac products, I am forced to find something else. Would anyone please recommend a disk utility that they have found particularly useful at fixing disk errors for 10.4 and up, and/or the new iMac with the Intel chips? Thanks in advance, JL On 2007-06-06 20:54:54 -0500, "Jlen7" <jlen7@yahoo.com> said: > I'm not aware of a decent disk utility for Mac since Norton Utilities 8.0 > came out for OS 10.3 a...

No encryption partition option when setting up partitions on a HDD in Disk Utility?
Hello again. While I was fiddling with my external USB HDD last night, I noticed that I could not partition and format them with Mac OS X's encryption directly. Basically, I was trying to set up 3 partitions and then set 1 of them to use encryption in Mac OS Extended Journal (HFS+). There was no encryption option during partitioning. I have to do partitions first, wait to partition all, and then reformat a partition with Mac OS Extended Journal (HFS+) with encryption. Is this normal/by design or did I miss something in an updated Mac OS X v10.10.5 (Yosemite)? Thank you ...

Non-system disk or disk error after installation
I did a reinstall of Debian today. It went off without problems but when I came to reboot I got: Non-system disk or disk error Replace and strike any key when ready I reinstalled again and also reinstalled grub twice. Any way round this? Is it a hardware failure (cmos or disk)? Could I boot via a cdrom? Anthony -- Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk Microsoft-free zone - Using Debian GNU/Linux http://www.acampbell.org.uk - sample my ebooks at http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/acampbell On 04/24/2011 04:22 PM, Anthony Campbell wrote: > I did a reinstall of Debian today. It w...

Looking for old disk utility
I was taken over by a case of nostalgia this weekend and downloaded a couple Apple II emulators to play with under Mac OS X. Quite a trip down memory lane- I taught myself to program on an Apple II in the early 80's. I'm surprised I still remember strange things like PR#6 :) I was wondering if any collectors on here might have a copy of a small disk utilty called Disk Rigger. It was software trader (the nice way to put it) util to split a disk into file segments. Not widely used I think, but someone might have a copy in a disk of other freeware utils. I'd love to get ...

making and burning disk images with disk utility
Hi all, I'm having difficulty duplicating dual Mac/Win data CDs and I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. I have googled for this and found MANY descriptions of doing exactly what I'm doing, and yet it's not working for me. I have a CD-ROM that was originally created with Toast. It's been years since that was done and I can't find the original Toast files. I have all the pieces, but rather than reconstruct it, I wanted to just make an image of the disk to store on a hard drive so I can burn new copies whenever I want without having to use Toast again to duplicate it from another CD. I can't figure out a way to do that with Toast. When I make a new image from Disk Utility, the disk ends up not being complete under Windows. Here's what I've tried (procedures that are outlined on several sites): 1. In Disk Utility, I select the volume on the CD and click New Image. It creates a dmg file. I then pop out that disk and put in a blank and click burn. It creates something that works on the Mac, but under Windows, it sees the disk (it's burnt and has a file system) but nothing is actually on it. 2. I've also tried using dd at the command line to create an image. The same thing happens when I burn it. Fine on a Mac, not on a PC. The original disk does work correctly. If I use Toast to duplicate it, I also get a working disk. I'd really like to make a valid disk image that I can u...

disk unallocated space and existing disk partitions
i have a question that i hope someone can help me with. i have a 160gig drive on a macg4. it's a second drive on the machine and was formatted with 4 - ~30gb partitions and ~40gb was left unallocated. my question is i'd like to format the unallocated 40 gigs on the drive and all the ways i've looked at will erase the other partitions. is there a utility or method that will allow me access to using that 40gb without erasing the data on the existing partitions? thanks for any help.lp > i have a question that i hope someone can help me with. > > i have a 160gig drive...

Reformat Mac firewire disk to Windows disk
Hi Folks! I've bought a new 320 GB internal drive to use for backing up data off of my Powermac G4 and iBook G4, both running Tiger. I've given my old 80GB external Firewire drive to my girlfriend for her to use to back up her PC data (WinXP Home). The PC has a 6-pin firewire cable. Because the FW drive is mac formatted, the PC sees it as a disk but doesn't respond to reformating requests (clicking Format in the menu where I right click on the disk in My Computer window). I don't know if it's possible to format the FW drive for PCs without purchasing additional softwar...

disk unallocated space and existing disk partitions
i have a question that i hope someone can help me with. i have a 160gig drive on a macg4. it's a second drive on the machine and was formatted with 4 - 40gb partitions and ~40gb was left unallocated. my question is i'd like to format the unallocated 40 gigs on the drive and all the ways i've looked at will erase the other partitions. is there a utility or method that will allow me access to using that 40gb without erasing the data on the existing partitions? thanks for any help.lp in article BB79903A.13711%lloydp@REMOVEpacbell.net, lp at lloydp@REMOVEpacbell.net...

Disk Utility vs Disk First Aid?
I have a few questions about apple disk repair utilities. I run both OS 9.2 and 10.4.11 on my hard drive on the same volume. I ran a verify in OS 9 Disk First Aid and got errors showing. I decided that it might be better to reboot into 10.4.11 and do the repair with the newer Disk Utility since it is more current and it was used originally to format the hard drive. I ran repair right away and to my surprise it reported the disk was OK and did not even need repair. I rebooted back into 9.2 and ran Disk First Aid and chose repair right away. It took about twenty minutes found the same errors aga...

Coping disk to disk
I use an e-mac with a DVD/CD burner. If I need to copy an intire disk how would I do that? Thank you. In article <2005122216081516807-rleejames@bellsouthnet>, Rlee James <rleejames@bellsouth.net> wrote: > I use an e-mac with a DVD/CD burner. If I need to copy an intire disk > how would I do that? > Thank you. Use Toast. It will make a disk image of your CD and Burn it to a blank CD. Place the CD to be burned in the main window and click copy. Follow the onscreen instructions -- *But what if I'm a figment of MY imagination? Bob in Carmel, CA ...

disk to disk backup
Dear all, I've got a disk with plenty of data that needs making a backup. Since new hard disks aren't very expansive we decided that we are going to buy another disk (identical ATA disk) and that we will do a backup of data to it. It seems to me that a good starting point would be making a mirror of the current disk to the new one, but what next? It doesn't seem acceptable to mirror the disk every day.. Some kind of differential method would be appropriate. I know that a lot of tools exists that can do such a things with tapes, but it looks like they use tar and other achiving pr...

using geom labled disks as sb disks for gvinum
Let me paint the scenerio so people can suggest alternate ideas: 1. I am installing FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE on to a USB drive (http://typo.submonkey.net/articles/2006/04/13/installing-freebsd-on-usb-stick-episode-2) 2. Unlike the article I am usign multiple USB drives (diff sizes) to build the system a. GEOM allows you to label in such a way that no matter what value of X they have in /dev/daX they will be mounted in the right place 3. It is very hard to pre-guess the size of a port/package before install (if someone knows how to do this *PLEASE* let me know) 4. Due to 3 it is very hard to guess which drive to use for what part of the dir tree (so far I have tried /dev/ufs/UsbRoot [1gb] for /, /dev/ufs/UsbLocal [1gb] for /usr/local and /dev/ufs/UsbOpenoffice for /usr/local/openoffice-2.0.2-rc2) a. I bought an other 1gb drive last night in hopes of finding enough room to do full install of gnome-lite (right now I can get metacity, gnome-panel, gnome-session, firefox, thunderbird and not much more onto /dev/ufs/UsbRoot) 5. Gvinum looks like what I want to use to make all my drives look like one big drive to the OS a. Even though the documentation says root can't be a concatinated drive does anyone know a workaround b. The layout I am planning is use a 256mb drive I have to host root and thne tie all my other drives into a concat'ed plex (aggergate space is 3.75gb) 6. Since there is no guerentee I will plug th...

Drobo, Disk Utility and partitions
So I recently got a Drobo (4-bay, 2nd gen). Very exciting. The thing with a Drobo is that unless you tell it otherwise, the soup of drives in there becomes on huge virtual drive which expands if you replace drives with bigger ones. This leads to a couple of issues I'm trying to figure out best how to handle. 1. The Drobo software allows you do set up partitions and it will put as many on there as it can (ie. if you have, after RAID,etc, say 3.6TB of usable space and you specify 2TB partitions, you'll get 1x2TB and 1x1.6. What happens if you add enough drives that you now hav...

Web resources about - Using Disk Utility to partition a disk without losing data - comp.sys.mac.system

Partition and secession in California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
After the California Constitutional Convention of 1849 applied for statehood in the current boundaries, the South reluctantly acceded to a single, ...

Explainer: Malcolm Turnbull and the incendiary idea to partition Iraq
This week, Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull raised eyebrows by professing openness to a very controversial idea. He&nbsp;suggested that a partition ...

[Ermahgerd] Verizon Apps Spotted On The Nexus 6's System Partition After The Android 5.1 Update, Rustled ...
The Internet is in the midst of having a mini hemorrhage over something that, basically, doesn't matter. Shocking, right? It appears that a few ...

Restore files, partitions, broken PCs with Lazesoft Recovery Suite
... That’s all the more surprising when you see how much the program can do. It’s able to recover everything from individual files to entire partitions; ...

How to partition your drive before installing Windows 10
Want to test Windows 10 on your PC? Create a hard drive partition for a worry-free install.

Paragon Software Releases Partition Manager 15
Partition Manager 15 software comes with file system converters to adapt the most common file systems including NTFS, HFS+, and FAT.

Iraq: The 'idea of a soft partition came from the US'
Is Iraq headed towards a partition? The rise of the Islamic State group has highlighted the weakness of the central power.Myriam Benraad is a ...

Jat stir revives Partition nightmare for Rohtak residents
The violent Jat quota agitation has revived painful memories of Partition for many people caught in the two conflicts separated by seven decades. ...

How to partition your Mac to test OS X El Capitan
OS X El Capitan may be in Public Beta now, but that doesn't mean it's 100 percent stable. Here's how to put it somewhere it can't cause problems. ...