Version control on Tandem (Other than RMS)

Hi,

Kindly share some recommendation on version control (Software configuration management) tool for HPNS/Tandem. Currently, RMS is being used in our shop, What other better tools available ?

Here are couple of things which are looking for :
1.Need a way to branch and Merge as there are multiple long and short terms projects in flight.
2.GUI based, easy to use.

If possible, Please share some case studies too with your recommendation.
0
sachinkhatter
12/19/2016 10:05:18 PM
comp.sys.tandem 2360 articles. 3 followers. Post Follow

sachinkhatter@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Kindly share some recommendation on version control (Software configuration management) tool for HPNS/Tandem. Currently, RMS is being used in our shop, What other better tools available ?
>
> Here are couple of things which are looking for :
> 1.Need a way to branch and Merge as there are multiple long and short terms projects in flight.
> 2.GUI based, easy to use.
>
> If possible, Please share some case studies too with your recommendation.

Randall Becker just announced a version of git for NonStop.  Its official release is to be in January, and the contact for more information is sales@nexbridge.com

If you are on LinkedIn, you might be able to view this discussion:

   https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/21st-century-scm-git-guardian-randall-becker

That version apparently has some extra features for maintaining a parallel OSS and Guardian version of each branch, or something like that.  I don't remember any mention of a GUI for it.

If you can get by without a GUI, the regular version of git is available in the open source library for OSS on NonStop that Connect maintains.  That version runs in OSS and is free.  Guardian programs can be built from within OSS, so don't dismiss it out of hand if your need is to built Guardian programs.  If you want to check it out, you can get to that open source library using this link:

   http://ituglib.connect-community.org

There are pre-built binaries available for H and J series systems and for L series systems.  If you want to build it from source yourself, you can do that, too, but it requires more work.

There are some other, old version control systems available for NonStop, but I don't know much about them.  If one or the other version of git is not suitable for some reason, post again explaining that, and someone probably will be able to tell you about those others.
0
Keith
12/20/2016 3:47:13 AM
On Monday, December 19, 2016 at 10:47:29 PM UTC-5, Keith wrote:
> sachinkhatter@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi,=20
> >=20
> > Kindly share some recommendation on version control (Software configura=
tion management) tool for HPNS/Tandem. Currently, RMS is being used in our =
shop, What other better tools available ?
> > =20
> > Here are couple of things which are looking for :=20
> > 1.Need a way to branch and Merge as there are multiple long and short t=
erms projects in flight.
> > 2.GUI based, easy to use.
> >=20
> > If possible, Please share some case studies too with your recommendatio=
n.
>=20
> Randall Becker just announced a version of git for NonStop.  Its official=
 release is to be in January, and the contact for more information is sales=
@nexbridge.com
>=20
> If you are on LinkedIn, you might be able to view this discussion:
>=20
>    https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/21st-century-scm-git-guardian-randall-b=
ecker
>=20
> That version apparently has some extra features for maintaining a paralle=
l OSS and Guardian version of each branch, or something like that.  I don't=
 remember any mention of a GUI for it.
>=20
> If you can get by without a GUI, the regular version of git is available =
in the open source library for OSS on NonStop that Connect maintains.  That=
 version runs in OSS and is free.  Guardian programs can be built from with=
in OSS, so don't dismiss it out of hand if your need is to built Guardian p=
rograms.  If you want to check it out, you can get to that open source libr=
ary using this link:
>=20
>    http://ituglib.connect-community.org
>=20
> There are pre-built binaries available for H and J series systems and for=
 L series systems.  If you want to build it from source yourself, you can d=
o that, too, but it requires more work.
>=20
> There are some other, old version control systems available for NonStop, =
but I don't know much about them.  If one or the other version of git is no=
t suitable for some reason, post again explaining that, and someone probabl=
y will be able to tell you about those others.

Thanks Keith. Yes, we are currently in Beta with a January release. NSGit (=
http://www.nexbridge.com/products/host-nonstop/nsgit/) is a GUARDIAN-aware =
front-end component for Git that allows you to use Git commands from within=
 TACL. It knows about ENSCRIBE files and can manage code 101 and 180 files,=
 object files, DDL dictionaries, structured files, and POBJ (each program i=
nside is separately versionable. The product also supports name mapping, so=
 you can have the same file as src.h in OSS/NSDEE and srch in GUARDIAN, wit=
h identical commit ids.=20

Because we have full integration with Git, you can manage your GUARDIAN cod=
e with a git clone in a GUI like SourceTree or Gitk. The GUARDIAN side is j=
ust another repository clone with a separate working index.

Contact me at rsbecker at nexbridge dot com for info.
0
Randall