PuTTY and unix domain sockets / windows named pipe

It is nice to see if PuTTY can work with unix domain sockets / windows
named pipe.

Regards,
Roy

0
roytam
11/16/2006 10:01:18 AM
comp.terminals 683 articles. 0 followers. madcrow.maxwell (85) is leader. Post Follow

roytam@gmail.com writes:
>It is nice to see if PuTTY can work with unix domain sockets / windows
>named pipe.

PuTTY doesn't directly support this.

However, it does support a "local proxy" where input/output come from a
process' standard input / output.
<http://www.tartarus.org/~simon/puttydoc/Chapter4.html#config-proxy>

If you can find a command which will connect that to a Unix domain
socket / named pipe, you should be fine.

0.58 supports this on Unix, but on Windows you'll need a recent
development snapshot for local proxy support.
<http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/wishlist/proxy-command.html>
0
Jacob
11/17/2006 6:11:31 PM
Jacob Nevins wrote:
> roytam@gmail.com writes:
> >It is nice to see if PuTTY can work with unix domain sockets / windows
> >named pipe.
>
> PuTTY doesn't directly support this.
>
> However, it does support a "local proxy" where input/output come from a
> process' standard input / output.
> <http://www.tartarus.org/~simon/puttydoc/Chapter4.html#config-proxy>
>
> If you can find a command which will connect that to a Unix domain
> socket / named pipe, you should be fine.
>
> 0.58 supports this on Unix, but on Windows you'll need a recent
> development snapshot for local proxy support.
> <http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/wishlist/proxy-command.html>

It is hard to find a tool to attech a named pipe to telnet connection
or STDIO for windows.
As the serial backend is done, I think UNIX domain socket / named pipe
can be easily done by modify the serial backend a bit.

named pipe example:

UNIX domain socket example:
http://www.dwheeler.com/secure-programs/Secure-Programs-HOWTO/sockets.html

Regards,