f



Apostrophe in Latex?

Is an apostrophe made in Latex by just using a single quote in the input?
For example: John's shoes.


0
12/11/2004 2:13:38 AM
comp.text.tex 39027 articles. 3 followers. Post Follow

3 Replies
18424 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 46

Girish Sharma wrote:
> Is an apostrophe made in Latex by just using a single quote in the input?
> For example: John's shoes.

Yes.  Doesn't it work when you try it?  If not, then maybe your text
editor is inserting a "smart" (i.e., curly) quote instead of a straight
quote (ASCII character 39).

-- Scott

1
ctt (1173)
12/11/2004 2:35:10 AM
"Scott Pakin" <scott+ctt@pakin.org> wrote in message
news:41BA5CDE.1090307@pakin.org...
> Girish Sharma wrote:
> > Is an apostrophe made in Latex by just using a single quote in the
input?
> > For example: John's shoes.
>
> Yes.  Doesn't it work when you try it?  If not, then maybe your text
> editor is inserting a "smart" (i.e., curly) quote instead of a straight
> quote (ASCII character 39).
>
> -- Scott
>

Yes, it works. But I noticed some code that entered math mode and used
superscript accent marks. I was wondering what the standard way to do it is.

Thanks.


0
12/11/2004 5:22:54 AM
On Sat, 11 Dec 2004, Girish Sharma wrote:
>
> "Scott Pakin" <scott+ctt@pakin.org> wrote in message
>> Girish Sharma wrote:
>>> Is an apostrophe made in Latex by just using a single quote in the
>>> input?  For example: John's shoes.
>>
>> Yes.  Doesn't it work when you try it?
>
> Yes, it works. But I noticed some code that entered math mode and used
> superscript accent marks. I was wondering what the standard way to do
> it is.

   The "superscript accent mark" (straight, slightly diagonal tick) is 
referred to in English as a "prime," as in "Take A-prime equal to A plus 
one..."  It is generally the right thing, in mathematical text.
   If you really want an apostrophe glyph in math mode, try using package
'amsmath' and typing

   The expression $A'$ has a prime;
   the expression $A\text{'}$ has an apostrophe.

-Arthur
2
ajo (1603)
12/11/2004 11:21:31 PM
Reply: