LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OMS/cmss/m/n' undefined

It looks like this was discussed a bit on this group, but I didn't see
a specific solution.

Here's what was attempted, and what failed.
\renewcommand{\familydefault}{\sfdefault}

Then within the document,

\textit{\textbf{whatever text}}

This generated these errors:

LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/cmss/m/it' in size <12> not
available
(Font)              Font shape `OT1/cmss/m/sl' tried instead on input
line 8.

LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/cmss/bx/it' undefined
(Font)              using `OT1/cmss/bx/n' instead on input line 8.

Is there a way to get bold, italic serif, or a workaround for the same?

Thanks!

2
john4091 (6)

"jfgodfrey" <john@jlgodfrey.myrf.net>  schrieb:

> It looks like this was discussed a bit on this group, but I didn't see
> a specific solution.
>
> Here's what was attempted, and what failed.
> \renewcommand{\familydefault}{\sfdefault}
>
> Then within the document,
>

> \textit{\textbf{whatever text}}
>
> This generated these errors:
>
> LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/cmss/m/it' in size <12> not
> available
> (Font)              Font shape `OT1/cmss/m/sl' tried instead on input
> line 8.
>

> LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/cmss/bx/it' undefined
> (Font)              using `OT1/cmss/bx/n' instead on input line 8.
>
> Is there a way to get bold, italic serif, or a workaround for the same?

Your question is a bit confusing. In the subject you speak of
`OMS/cmss/m/n', then in the text of OT1/cmss/m/it and at the end
OT1/cmss/bx/it.

Use T1-encoding it contains an italic, bold, sans serif (it is
identical to the slanted, bold, sans serif)

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[ansinew]{inputenc}

%% usw
\begin{document}
\textit{\textsf{\textbf{test}}}
\end{document}

--
Ulrike Fischer
e-mail: zus�tzlich meinen Vornamen vor dem @ einf�gen.
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[ansinew]{inputenc}

Have a great day!
john

0
john4091 (6)
1/2/2006 3:03:10 PM
On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 09:09:38 +0000 (UTC), Ulrike Fischer
<news@nililand.de> wrote:

>"jfgodfrey" <john@jlgodfrey.myrf.net>  schrieb:
>
>> LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/cmss/m/it' in size <12> not
>> available
>> (Font)              Font shape `OT1/cmss/m/sl' tried instead on input
>> line 8.
>>

>> LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/cmss/bx/it' undefined
>> (Font)              using `OT1/cmss/bx/n' instead on input line 8.
>>
>> Is there a way to get bold, italic serif, or a workaround for the same?
>

>Use T1-encoding it contains an italic, bold, sans serif (it is
>identical to the slanted, bold, sans serif)

Font encoding normally has nothing to do with the style (italic, bold
or whatever). A more precise statement is that in the default san
serif family (cmss) in default encoding (OT1) the CM font set is used,
and CM has no bold slanted font, but switching to T1 (and leaving
other defaults) a different font set (namely the EC fonts) is used,
which does contain such a font.

If one switches to an entirely different font set, one might get such
a font even in OT1 encoding and might not get such a font even in T1
encoding. Not that I know of any such cases off the top of my head.

Dan
0
LookInSig (1085)
1/3/2006 7:02:12 PM