Palatino numerals in maths equations?

I'm trying to consistently use Palatino fonts in my thesis.  That
includes all numerals.  In the main body of text, writing '2' returns a
'2' in the Palatino font once complied, but in math mode the '2' is in
Times Roman font I think.  I've tried using the packages (stabbing in
the dark basically).

mathpple
mathpazo
palatinomath
palatino
palatcm

with no luck.  Any ideas?  Thanks.
0
chrisr9796 (14)

Chrisr <chrisr@es.co.nz> writes:

> mathpple
> mathpazo
> palatinomath
> palatino
> palatcm

The correct way to use Palatino is mathpazo.sty (see FAQ, psnfss doc
etc). And i can't see a difference between the two '2' in

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{mathpazo}
\begin{document}
2 $2$
\end{document}

cheerio
ralf
0
ralf.stubner (882)
6/11/2004 10:15:31 AM
On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 22:14:35 +1200, Chrisr <chrisr@es.co.nz> wrote:

> I'm trying to consistently use Palatino fonts in my thesis.  That
> includes all numerals.  In the main body of text, writing '2' returns a
> '2' in the Palatino font once complied, but in math mode the '2' is in
> Times Roman font I think.  I've tried using the packages (stabbing in
> the dark basically).
>
> mathpple
> mathpazo
> palatinomath
> palatino
> palatcm

If you use mathpazo (and only that) you get Palatino text and math.
--
Morten H�gholm
I haven't got a smelly address.

Chrisr wrote:

> I'm trying to consistently use Palatino fonts in my thesis.  That
> includes all numerals.  In the main body of text, writing '2' returns a
> '2' in the Palatino font once complied, but in math mode the '2' is in
> Times Roman font I think.  I've tried using the packages (stabbing in
> the dark basically).
>
> mathpple
> mathpazo
> palatinomath
> palatino
> palatcm
>
> with no luck.  Any ideas?  Thanks.
0
chrisr9796 (14)
6/11/2004 10:29:52 AM
Chrisr <chrisr@es.co.nz> writes:

> >In the main body of text, writing '2' returns a '2' in the
> > Palatino font once complied, but in math mode the '2' is in
> > Times Roman
> > mathpple
> > mathpazo
> > palatinomath
> > palatino
> > palatcm

Well that's pretty stupid (I'm sure uncharacteristically so).

Actually, it looks like you would have text palatino but computer
modern math (from palatcm last).

> What I was trying to do was use palatino numerals in the maths environment
> while retaining the default maths symbols?

Oh Hmmmm.  Is that a question, or were you really trying to do that?
If you were trying to do that, then be aware that the numerals are math
symbols too.

Package mathpazo is all you want for uniform Palatino in text and math.

Donald Arseneau                          asnd@triumf.ca
0
asnd (4601)
6/11/2004 9:28:59 PM
I thought I knew what I originally wanted, but apparently not.  To
clarify, I'm trying for Palatino numerals (0-9) and letters (a-z) in the
math environment, but computer modern Greek symbols (simply prefer these
to the symbols defined by mathpazo).
0
chrisr9796 (14)
6/12/2004 1:06:32 AM
Chrisr <chrisr@es.co.nz> skribis:
> I thought I knew what I originally wanted, but apparently not.  To
> clarify, I'm trying for Palatino numerals (0-9) and letters (a-z) in the
> math environment, but computer modern Greek symbols (simply prefer these
> to the symbols defined by mathpazo).

But I wouldn't recommend that at all. The italic letters of Palatino
don't fit at all with the greek italic of cm. Check the following test:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{palatino}
%\usepackage{mathpazo}
\begin{document}
\textit{b}$\beta$
\end{document}

You see that the line widths of the "b" and the "\beta" and the italic
angle don't fit at all.

joh
Chrisr schrieb:

> I thought I knew what I originally wanted, but apparently
> not.  To clarify, I'm trying for Palatino numerals (0-9)
> and letters (a-z) in the math environment, but computer
> modern Greek symbols (simply prefer these to the symbols
> defined by mathpazo).

They do not match at all (proportions, shape, color, etc.),
but if that's what you want, you'll probably have to create
a new set of mathfonts. IIRC the fontinst sources for
mathpazo are on CTAN.

FYI:  Walter's page on TeX-Mathfonts (mostly in german, but
examples are in english)

http://home.vr-web.de/~was/mathfonts.html

0
mrosena (445)
6/12/2004 8:22:14 AM
Johannes Mueller schrieb:

>> I thought I knew what I originally wanted, but
>> apparently not.  To clarify, I'm trying for Palatino
>> numerals (0-9) and letters (a-z) in the math
>> environment, but computer modern Greek symbols (simply
>> prefer these to the symbols defined by mathpazo).
>

> But I wouldn't recommend that at all. The italic letters
> of Palatino don't fit at all with the greek italic of cm.
> Check the following test:
>
> \documentclass{article} \usepackage{palatino}
> %\usepackage{mathpazo} \begin{document} \textit{b}$\beta$
>  \end{document}
>
> You see that the line widths of the "b" and the "\beta"
> and the italic angle don't fit at all.

This one is just as bad:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{mathptmx}