Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples:
(excuse the mispronunciation; punny licence)
It seems that Mac OS X has partially documented issues
http://developer.apple.com/java/faq/issues.html#anchor6) with the
generation of EPS, and I'm trying to find a workaround.
The Preview application cannot export to eps, but it can read it
(converting it to PDF). If I use Adobe Acrobat to read the PDF
generated by Preview, the EPS it generates sometimes (inconsistently)
causes dvips to make an unreadable file.
What I'm trying to do is the following: I made a large figure with
about 50 images (EPS images generated by Mathematica, with labels) all
in a nice 'tabular' array, using LaTeX and dvips. I'm too
incompetent/lazy to center the image correctly, so I tell dvips to make
an oversized output (30 cm by 30 cm) and then I crop it in Preview.
Then, I save the image in Preview as a PDF, open the PDF in Acrobat,
and export to EPS. Sometimes this works, but in this case, no.
Sometimes if I open the EPS (again!) in Preview, save as PDF (again!),
and convert to EPS from Adobe (again...) this makes a file that LaTeX,
dvips, and Preview (or ghostview) happily process. I mention this not
to impress all with my willingness to mindlessly tinker, but rather
because it seems to hint that something toxic can be dropped/broken
from the EPS with repeated reconversions.
You've probably guessed that I should just place the large figure
directly in my latex source in some fashion. I'm trying that, but I'd
like to know if there's any software (free or otherwise) to reliably
convert PDF to EPS, or some other workaround.