time intervals in siunitx ?

Hi,
I'm using the siunitx package (a very nice package!) very often, but
today I stumbled upon what looked like a missing feature to me: I
believe that currently, the only way of typesetting a time interval,
say 1h 23min 45s, is \SI{1}{\hour}~\SI{23}{\minute}~\SI{45}{\second}.
Probably some shorter notation would be great, I think...
Does anyone (e.g., the package maintainer :-)) has an idea about this?
Thanks in advance,
Antony

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 14:57:30 -0700 (PDT), antony
<anntzer.lee@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>I'm using the siunitx package (a very nice package!) very often, but
>today I stumbled upon what looked like a missing feature to me: I
>believe that currently, the only way of typesetting a time interval,
>say 1h 23min 45s, is \SI{1}{\hour}~\SI{23}{\minute}~\SI{45}{\second}.
>Probably some shorter notation would be great, I think...
>Does anyone (e.g., the package maintainer :-)) has an idea about this?

No packahe can predict all possible requirements, but you
have \newcommand to fall back on:
  \newcommand{\Time}[3]{%
    \SI{#1}{\hour}~\SI{#2}{\minute}~\SI{#3}{\second}%
  }
  The time elapsed was \Time{1}{23}{45}...

But perhaps I have misunderstood your requirement.

Dan
To reply by email, change LookInSig to luecking
0
Dan
4/6/2010 10:16:55 PM
On Apr 6, 11:16=A0pm, Dan Luecking <LookIn...@uark.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 14:57:30 -0700 (PDT), antony
>
> <anntzer....@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Hi,
> >I'm using the siunitx package (a very nice package!) very often, but
> >today I stumbled upon what looked like a missing feature to me: I
> >believe that currently, the only way of typesetting a time interval,
> >say 1h 23min 45s, is \SI{1}{\hour}~\SI{23}{\minute}~\SI{45}{\second}.
> >Probably some shorter notation would be great, I think...
> >Does anyone (e.g., the package maintainer :-)) has an idea about this?
>
> No packahe can predict all possible requirements, but you
> have \newcommand to fall back on:
> =A0 \newcommand{\Time}[3]{%
> =A0 =A0 \SI{#1}{\hour}~\SI{#2}{\minute}~\SI{#3}{\second}%
> =A0 }
> =A0 ...
> =A0 The time elapsed was \Time{1}{23}{45}...
> =A0 ...
>
> But perhaps I have misunderstood your requirement.
>
> Dan
> To reply by email, change LookInSig to luecking

I've been asked to look at pretty much this idea for siunitx version
2.  The existing feature request includes days, but I'd imagine
something flexible should be available. Hopefully this will make the
beta version of siuntix 2 at the end of the month.
--
Joseph Wright
0
wrote:
> I've been asked to look at pretty much this idea for siunitx version
> 2. =A0The existing feature request includes days, but I'd imagine
> something flexible should be available. Hopefully this will make the
> beta version of siuntix 2 at the end of the month.

Further to that, can I ask for some thoughts on input syntax. As I
said, I've been asked to cover "days-hours-minute-seconds" input, with
the initial suggestion:

by analogy with \ang. I thing perhaps "\timeinterval" or "\timeperiod"
is a clearer function name, but other suggestions are welcome. On the
input syntax, I can go for either one argument (as above) or four:

I find the \ang syntax (using one argument) quite readable: other
opinions?

In terms of output, as well as

  1\,day 2\,h 3\,min 4.5\,s

I've also been asked to do "astronomy style"

  1^{d} 2^{h} 3^{m} 4.^{s}5

which should be easy enough. Any other things I should be aware of? (I
am pretty sure this will be in version 2: mainly a copy-paster of the
existing \ang code but with new options.)
--
Joseph Wright
0

Antony

On Apr 7, 9:49=A0am, Joseph Wright <joseph.wri...@morningstar2.co.uk>
wrote:
> On Apr 7, 6:53=A0am, Joseph Wright <joseph.wri...@morningstar2.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
> > I've been asked to look at pretty much this idea for siunitx version
> > 2. =A0The existing feature request includes days, but I'd imagine
> > something flexible should be available. Hopefully this will make the
> > beta version of siuntix 2 at the end of the month.
>
> Further to that, can I ask for some thoughts on input syntax. As I
> said, I've been asked to cover "days-hours-minute-seconds" input, with
> the initial suggestion:

> by analogy with \ang. I thing perhaps "\timeinterval" or "\timeperiod"
> is a clearer function name, but other suggestions are welcome. On the
> input syntax, I can go for either one argument (as above) or four:

> I find the \ang syntax (using one argument) quite readable: other
> opinions?
>
> In terms of output, as well as
>
> =A0 1\,day 2\,h 3\,min 4.5\,s
>
> I've also been asked to do "astronomy style"
>
> =A0 1^{d} 2^{h} 3^{m} 4.^{s}5
>
> which should be easy enough. Any other things I should be aware of? (I
> am pretty sure this will be in version 2: mainly a copy-paster of the
> existing \ang code but with new options.)
> --
> Joseph Wright

0
antony
4/7/2010 8:22:49 AM
wrote:
> On Apr 7, 6:53=A0am, Joseph Wright <joseph.wri...@morningstar2.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
> > I've been asked to look at pretty much this idea for siunitx version
> > 2. =A0The existing feature request includes days, but I'd imagine
> > something flexible should be available. Hopefully this will make the
> > beta version of siuntix 2 at the end of the month.

Joseph

Maybe a bit offtopic. What about a separate package for time and
dates? Every country has its own way of writing it and then you also
find scientific groupings such as the astronomical people that has
their own way of doing it.

There is the isodate package. Maybe you and Harald Harders can work
together and add time formatting to the package. It already contain a
lot of locale spesific formating.

I have also proposed a date kernel for Latex a long time ago

   http://groups.google.com/group/comp.text.tex/msg/95dc97ca593e9b7f

This can add some date calculation and calender generation
capabilities to such as package. With eTeX it can be done a lot more
simpler than my original example

Regards

Danie Els
0
Danie
4/7/2010 9:46:34 AM
On Apr 7, 10:46=A0am, Danie <dnj...@netscape.net> wrote:
> Joseph
>
> Maybe a bit offtopic. What about a separate package for time and
> dates? Every country has its own way of writing it and then you also
> find scientific groupings such as the astronomical people that has
> their own way of doing it.

Hello Danie,

It's a good question: I get some very "unusual" requests for siunitx,
and picking a good "line" is not always easy. As well as the time
question, I've also been asked to look at geographical co-ordinates
(which need leading zeros in numbers and N/S/E/W). Even if I do these
separately, I'd still like to have some of the "core" of siunitx
available (things like the printing routine). I'll have to think about
it.
--
Joseph Wright

0
Joseph
4/7/2010 6:50:37 PM
Hello all,

I agree to Antony's opinion that \timeperiod is a fine name and it should
follow the \ang syntax.
If the "upper" values (days, etc.) should not be needed the 2 possibilities
omitting (\timeperiod{m;s}) or leaving the arguments empty
(\timeperiod{;;m;s}) should be acceptable from my point of view.

Regards
Stefan

0
Stefan

Issues with ODE solver and time steps and time interval
I have a model that is similar to the bouncing ball demo (ballode) in terms of its structure. In my case, it's a box tied down by a bunch of straps. I detect collisions using the events function. The problem: model results change drastically when I change the time interval of integration (both the duration and time steps) that is sent to the ode45 solver. I understand there would be some differences if I change the time step, but not the duration. For example, I run my model from t = 0 to t = 4 seconds. The results are completely different if I go from t = 0 to t = 2 seconds. Even if I&...

Count times text string occurs in a text string
I know this is a newb question, but how do you count a text string in a text string? I am looking to count "\" in CStr(fld.Path)? I was working with a function I downloaded called getlen which calls a function strcount, but I butchered it and cannot find the source. Thanks ren ren Try this Function CountSubString(StringIn As String, SubString As String) As Long Dim pos As Long pos = InStr(StringIn, SubString) Do While pos CountSubString = CountSubString + 1 pos = pos + Len(SubString) If pos < Len(StringIn) Then pos = Instr(pos, StringIn, SubString) ...

Convert Character Date/Time to Text Date/Time
I have a column with date and time (order_time) that i would like to separate out and create a numeric date and a numberic time out of it. I have been able to split up the two using the SCAN function, but cannot figure out how to convert the two columns into text: Original Column: 2001-04-20 14:30:00 New Date Column: 2001-04-20 (char) New Time Column: 14:30:00 (char) Piece of cake: Data _null_ ; order_time = "2001-04-20 14:30:00" ; Format Date date9. Time time. ; Date = input( scan( order_time , 1 , " " ) , yymmdd10. ) ; Time = input( scan( order_time ,...

time.time or time.clock
I'm having some cross platform issues with timing loops. It seems time.time is better for some computers/platforms and time.clock others, but it's not always clear which, so I came up with the following to try to determine which. import time # Determine if time.time is better than time.clock # The one with better resolution should be lower. if time.clock() - time.clock() < time.time() - time.time(): clock = time.clock else: clock = time.time Will this work most of the time, or is there something better? Ron On Jan 14, 7:05 am, Ron Ad...

time.clock() or time.time()
What's the difference between time.clock() and time.time() (and please don't say clock() is the CPU clock and time() is the actual time because that doesn't help me at all :) I'm trying to benchmark some function calls for Zope project and when I use t0=time.clock(); foo(); print time.clock()-t0 I get much smaller values than when I use time.clock() (most of them 0.0 but some 0.01) When I use time.time() I get values like 0.0133562088013, 0.00669002532959 etc. To me it looks like time.time() gives a better measure (at least from a statistical practical point of view). peterbe@gmail.com wrote: > What's the difference between time.clock() and time.time() > (and please don't say clock() is the CPU clock and time() is the actual > time because that doesn't help me at all :) > > I'm trying to benchmark some function calls for Zope project and when I > use t0=time.clock(); foo(); print time.clock()-t0 > I get much smaller values than when I use time.clock() (most of them > 0.0 but some 0.01) > When I use time.time() I get values like 0.0133562088013, > 0.00669002532959 etc. > To me it looks like time.time() gives a better measure (at least from a > statistical practical point of view). time.time() is very likely what you want. time.time() measures real time, while time.clock() measures the time the CPU dedicates to your program. For example, if your function spends 2 seconds doing pure I/O and 3 seconds do...

time intervals
Can anyone tell me how to write a routine that uses time-intervals, I would like to dynamically create an array of times like this: 9:00 9:30 10:00 10:30 This has an interval of half an hour, but I want to be flexible for future use, so a variable called interval should be set to define the intervals. JRS: In article <tOs0b.21482$X73.2866381@amsnews02.chello.com>, seen in news:comp.lang.javascript, Marco Alting <marco@alting-multimedia.nl> posted at Tue, 19 Aug 2003 17:06:33 :- >Can anyone tell me how to write a routine that uses time-intervals, I would >like to dynami...

text + text

interval time
Hi, I want to calculate the interval time, between tow dates, for example: Date of Inclusion: January 13, 2005 Date of death: March 05, 2005 The survival is 2 months. Instead of 2 months, I need to calculate the exact survival, which will be: 1month 22 days Does anyone, knows how we can get that with SPSS. Regards Ahmad Hawi > I want to calculate the interval time, between tow dates, for example: > Date of Inclusion: January 13, 2005 > Date of death: March 05, 2005 > The survival is 2 months. Instead of 2 months, I need to calculate the > exact survival, which will be: 1month 22 days > Does anyone, knows how we can get that with SPSS. > Assuming that your data is in SPSS date formats, a simple subtraction will do the job. Read som example data: data list free /start(edate) stop(edate) . begin data 13/01/05 05/03/05 end data . exe . And the subtraction. The '3600*24' thingy makes the output to days. comp interval=(stop-start)/(3600*24) . exe . If You don't have date formats, it's a different matter. If so, my advice is to go back to the data aquiring phase to make sure that the dates are read in apropriate format. If the datasource isn't available to you, post some actual data from your dataset, and i'll see what i can do. ...

Re: Convert Character Date/Time to Text Date/Time
Hi Mark, You mention in the text you want numeric variable and the example following denotes that you want character, so I will do both: data sample; Original = '2001-04-20 14:30:00'; run; * to make character variables ; data result1; length New_Date_Char $10 New_Time_Char $8; set sample; New_Date_Char = scan(Original,1,' '); New_Time_Char = scan(Original,2,' '); run; * to make numeric variables ; data result2; length New_Date_Num 8 New_Time_Num 8; set sample; New_Date_Num = input(scan(Original,1,' ...

How to fill in a compile-time (but not text-time) fixed-sized array.
If the size of an array is fixed in the source text, it's easy to define it: struct test1 { static constexpr int my_data[] = { 1, 2, 3, 4 }; }; constexpr int test1::my_data[ 4 ]; But what if the array's size is determined by an algorithm, still fixed in compile-time. Can it be written? template < int X > struct my_meta_func : std::integeral_constant<int, Whatever> { }; template < std::size_t L > struct test2 { static constexpr int my_data[] = { my_meta_func<0>::value, my_meta_func<1>::value, ..., my_meta_func<L-1>::value }; // How do I actually fill in the above line? }; template < std::size_t L > int test2<L>::my_data[ L ]; I (mostly) have no clue how to do this. Right before writing this, I came up with the C++11 trick of appending (C++) varargs to a variadic (function) template, then using that list to initialize an array when it's long enough. Will that work? Can a multi-dimensional array be filled with initialization of a flat list? (That works in non-meta contexts.) Daryle W. -- [ See http://www.gotw.ca/resources/clcm.htm for info about ] [ comp.lang.c++.moderated. First time posters: Do this! ] On 2013-08-05 03:44, Daryle Walker wrote: > If the size of an array is fixed in the source text, it's easy to > d...

text-text

Time interval
Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone has implemented an "Interval" class of some sort out there, i.e. something that would give you the years, months, days, hours, minutes and seconds between two fixed DateTime objects, rather than an absolute date. I see that Gavin Sinclair brought this issue up a couple times last year (ruby-talk:95236, ruby-talk:103601), but I didn't see any sort of package on the RAA. I had something of my own with "fixed-time" but it doesn't handle Date, Time or DateTime objects (i.e. it needs a major makeover). Before I do that, th...

Time interval
I am trying to find the difference (in minutes) between two times which are in the format hhmm (24-hr format). For example, the difference between 1224 and 1337 should result in 73 minutes. Is there a function in SAS that can be used directly? Thank you for your attention. Sid On 12 Nov, 16:36, nsi...@GMAIL.COM (Sid N) wrote: > I am trying to find the difference (in minutes) between two times which are > in the format hhmm (24-hr format). For example, the difference between 1224 > and 1337 should result in 73 minutes. > > Is there a function in SAS that can be used directly?...

time.time()
am I doing this wrong: print (time.time() / 60) / 60 #time.time has been running for many hours if time.time() was (21600/60) then that would equal 360/60 which would be 6, but I'm not getting 6 so I'm not doing the division right, any tips? On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 13:01:40 -0500, Bart Nessux <bart_nessux@hotmail.com> wrote: >am I doing this wrong: > >print (time.time() / 60) / 60 #time.time has been running for many hours > >if time.time() was (21600/60) then that would equal 360/60 which would >be 6, but I'm not getting 6 so I'm not doing the divisi...

Is time.time() < time.time() always true?
So, I was blazin' some mad chronix, as they say, and got on to thinking about Python. The question was, is the statement: time.time() < time.time() always true? Seems it should be false, since the statement itself occurs at one time instant.. but of course we know that python doesn't execute code that way.. So my question is, why doesn't Python work this way? (PS, I wasn't smoking anything, its a figure of speech :) ) On 21 Nov 2006 15:10:25 -0800, flamesrock <flamesrock@gmail.com> wrote: > So, I was blazin' some mad chronix, as they say, and got on to th...

Re: Convert Character Date/Time to Text Date/Time #2
Mark instead of busting things apart try using an input statement with the supposedly undocumented informat YMDDTTM Date = input( cdate , ymddttm20. ); Someone posted this informat on SASL a year or so ago. If you really want to bust it up, you could do so and then use input statements with the informats mmddyy10. and Time8. Nat Wooding Environmental Specialist III Dominion, Environmental Biology 4111 Castlewood Rd Richmond, VA 23234 Phone:804-271-5313, Fax: 804-271-2977 Mark Sussman <msussman@GMAIL.C OM> ...

Solving ODE's with position interval instead of time interval
I am currently trying to model an actuator that turns a shaft every 90 degrees. The ODE for this apparatus is very simple but there are very few and unique constraints for this. The constraints are the position ranges from 0 to 90 degrees and inital conditions of all zeroes except for acceleration. Since there is no distinct time interval for this model, I am not sure how to incorporate this into the traditional ode23 or ode45 commands. Is there a way to do this or is there another ODE command I can use that is setup for constraints such as mine? "Kollin " <kkerr2@ufl.edu> wrote in message <kt9842$q6h$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > I am currently trying to model an actuator that turns a shaft every 90 degrees. The ODE for this apparatus is very simple but there are very few and unique constraints for this. > > The constraints are the position ranges from 0 to 90 degrees and inital conditions of all zeroes except for acceleration. Since there is no distinct time interval for this model, I am not sure how to incorporate this into the traditional ode23 or ode45 commands. > > Is there a way to do this or is there another ODE command I can use that is setup for constraints such as mine? Just guessing but would this not be perfect for Simulink? I am not sure I understand you. From your first paragraph, it sounded like this actuator turns the shaft a full 90 degrees. Can it stop at 45 degrees? Is it continuous? Ass...

Time stamp of current time that would go into a build array with other values and then saved in a text file
My current program has a while loop outside and then a short sequence of events inside the while loop which will repeat until the stop button is pushed on the while loop.&nbsp; In the first sequence, there is a numeric control&nbsp;and exports the value to a build array and then&nbsp;procees&nbsp;to the next sequence.&nbsp; The next&nbsp;sequence communicates with a device and receives a value which is exported to the array.&nbsp; I would like to also get the time by a time stamp or whatnot and import that to the build array as well so that it may be able to be then...

What is a fast way to drive a HP53132A counter to do real time, "time interval" measurements?
Right now I run my system on a simple PCI GPIB bus. The fastest I can the time interval measurement is at 100 Hz. However, the has 350 ns timing and the PC running the program is much faster than this. So I should be able to achieve a rate of at least 10 kHz (depending on the counter of course). Do you have any suggestions for the way to set up the counter for the fastest measurement? I think that you're running into a limitation of the counter itself. My manual for the 53131 says that it can can do a maximum of 200 GPIB measurements per second. I think that the 53132 is similar excep...

setting TeX text variable depending on keyval-generated param? (low-level TeX question)
I am using keyval to set a "scaled" parameter and am having trouble getting the right behavior, which is: If I \usepackage{package} with no [scaled] option, I want to set a variable to a compile-time-specified default, say "s*[a.b]". If I \usepackage[scaled]{package}, same thing. And if I \usepackage[scaled=x.y], I want to set the variable to "s*[x.y]". (This is for font scaling, and I've used as my model the Helvetica scaled parameter.) The variable name (for the purposes of this conversation) is pnm@scaled. What I have that's not working correctly is: \expandafter\ifx\csname pmn@scaled\endcsname\relax \let\pmn@scaled\@empty \else \edef\pmn@scaled{s*[1.2]}% \fi I think what this says is "if pnm@scaled is not defined (case 1), leave it empty, otherwise set it to "s[1.2]". But the else clause is not working correctly, and I don't know how to differentiate between "defined by keyval but with no value" and "defined by keyval but with a value". Also I'm pretty sure I don't really know the difference between \let and \edef. Any help gratefully appreciated. Thanks. JDO john_owens@yahoo.com schrieb: > I am using keyval to set a "scaled" parameter and am having trouble > getting the right behavior, which is: > > If I \usepackage{package} with no [scaled] option, I want to set a > variable to a compile-time-specified default, say "s*[a.b]". > ...

RE: Is time.time() < time.time() always true?
Chris Mellon wrote: > On 21 Nov 2006 15:10:25 -0800, flamesrock <flamesrock@gmail.com> > wrote:=20 >> So, I was blazin' some mad chronix, as they say, and got on to >> thinking about Python.=20 >>=20 >> The question was, is the statement: >>=20 >> time.time() < time.time() >>=20 >> always true? Seems it should be false, since the statement itself >> occurs at one time instant.. but of course we know that python >> doesn't execute code that way.. So my question is, why doesn't >> Python work this way?=...

time in milliseconds by calling time.time()
I am trying to measure some system response time by using the time.time () or time.clock() in my script. However, the numbers I get are in 10s of milliseconds. For example, 1248481670.34 #from time.time() 0.08 #from time.clock() That won't work for me, since the response time may be only a few milliseconds. My environment is Solaris 10 with Python 2.4.4 (#7, Feb 9 2007, 22:10:21). SunOS 5.10 Generic_137112-07 i86pc i386 i86pc The tricky thing is, if I run the python interpreter and import the time module, I can get a time floating number in better precision by cal...

text to time values
Gang, =20 I would be grateful if someone could help me with code that would take the following text variable TEXTTIME and convert it to a real time variable recognized by SAS. I've included a snippet of values. =20 07:18 07:18 7:00 07:20 7:50 7:50 =20 Your help is truly appreciated. =20 Mike Mike Try the TIME informat and format Nat Wooding data a; input sastime time.; time=sastime; format time time.; cards; 07:18 07:18 7:00 07:20 7:50 7:50 proc print; run; "Tonkovich, Mike" <Mike.Tonkovich@D NR.STATE.OH.US> ...

Time machine interval
My Time Machine has been taking backups at 15 minute intervals. I checked System Settings and see that it thinks it is 1 hour intervals, but I don't see where to change this setting. I don't want 15 minute intervals. In article <howard-A9637C.14182315032008@newsgroups.comcast.net>, Howard Brazee <howard@brazee.net> wrote: > My Time Machine has been taking backups at 15 minute intervals. I > checked System Settings and see that it thinks it is 1 hour intervals, > but I don't see where to change this setting. > > I don't want 15 minute interv...

Web resources about - time intervals in siunitx ? - comp.text.tex

Interval (mathematics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about intervals of real numbers and other totally ordered sets. For the most general definition, see partially ordered set . ...

The Interval (@TheIntervalNY) on Twitter
Log in Sign up You are on Twitter Mobile because you are using an old version of Internet Explorer. Learn more here The Interval @ TheIntervalNY ...

Timewinder – the Ultimate Interval Timer for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch on the iTunes App Store
Get Timewinder – the Ultimate Interval Timer on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

The one-minute workout: High Intensity Interval Training hits all new low
From Tabata’s four-minute to the seven-minute workout, recent research has taught us that short, sharp bursts exercise can be incredibly effective. ...

Wednesday App And Game Sales: Goat Simulator GoatZ, HIIT Interval Training Timer, Limbo, And More
We all love getting new stuff, but most people expect you to pay for it. What a bummer. At least if you wait for things to go on sale you can ...

High-intensity interval exercise
... look like that because of exercise. They look like that because they don't eat carbs, or anything else much. Creepy. Does high intensity interval ...

Today’s Apps Gone Free: Flick Tennis, Intervals, Weathercube And More
... at any time and without notice regardless of stated free duration. Price changes are solely under the control of the developers. iPhone: Intervals ...

Price Drop: Intervals
Intervals - Your smart and personal workout companion 1.1 Device: iOS iPhone Category: Healthcare & Fitness Price: Free, Version: 1.1 ( iTunes ...

Aston Villa - Manchester City Betting Preview: Super City value to lead at the interval at Villa Park ...
Aston Villa - Manchester City Betting Preview: Super City value to lead at the interval at Villa Park