Where art dvipdf?

In trying out the new movie15.sty package, I found that
the dvipdf driver works properly while dvipdfm does not.

I then found that my MiKTeX distribution did not include
the dvipdf driver (I used dvipdf on my Sun/Solaris box).
Additionally, I could not find it on CTAN. Is this driver
being discontinued? Any idea on where I can get one for
Windows?
--
Randy Yates
Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications

On 16 Sep 2004 09:36:12 -0400, Randy Yates
<randy.yates@sonyericsson.com> wrote:

>In trying out the new movie15.sty package, I found that
>the dvipdf driver works properly while dvipdfm does not.
>
>I then found that my MiKTeX distribution did not include
>the dvipdf driver (I used dvipdf on my Sun/Solaris box).
>Additionally, I could not find it on CTAN. Is this driver
>being discontinued? Any idea on where I can get one for
>Windows?

Dvipdf is (AFAIK) not "well defined", but is rather (where it exists at
all) a script that runs dvips (to produce .ps) and then ghostscript to
produce pdf. Assuming one has ghostscript properly installed, it is
roughly the equivalent of runing dvips on a .dvi file followed by
running the batch file ps2pdf (from GS) on the resulting .ps file.

Dan

--
Dan Luecking                     Department of Mathematical Sciences
University of Arkansas           Fayetteville, Arkansas 72701
Dan Luecking <Look-In-Sig@uark.edu> writes:

> On 16 Sep 2004 09:36:12 -0400, Randy Yates
> <randy.yates@sonyericsson.com> wrote:
>
> >In trying out the new movie15.sty package, I found that
> >the dvipdf driver works properly while dvipdfm does not.
> >
> >I then found that my MiKTeX distribution did not include
> >the dvipdf driver (I used dvipdf on my Sun/Solaris box).
> >Additionally, I could not find it on CTAN. Is this driver
> >being discontinued? Any idea on where I can get one for
> >Windows?
>
> Dvipdf is (AFAIK) not "well defined", but is rather (where it exists at
> all) a script that runs dvips (to produce .ps) and then ghostscript to
> produce pdf. Assuming one has ghostscript properly installed, it is
> roughly the equivalent of runing dvips on a .dvi file followed by
> running the batch file ps2pdf (from GS) on the resulting .ps file.

Either I'd forgotten that or never knew it. Thanks Dan.

Is it correct to infer, then, that dvips is the standard driver for
performing back-end \special stuff (like this movie15 stuff)?

Or is there some standard \special API that allows general objects to
be embedded in the dvi stream? That is, not just postscript or pdf
related items (such as this multimedia object stuff), but anything in
general? If so, where is this defined? I'd be curious to have a look
at it.
--
Randy Yates
Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications
Research Triangle Park, NC, USA
randy.yates@sonyericsson.com, 919-472-1124
0
randy.yates (608)
9/16/2004 3:51:24 PM
On 16 Sep 2004 11:51:24 -0400, Randy Yates
<randy.yates@sonyericsson.com> wrote:

>Dan Luecking <Look-In-Sig@uark.edu> writes:
>
>> On 16 Sep 2004 09:36:12 -0400, Randy Yates
>> <randy.yates@sonyericsson.com> wrote:
>>
>> >In trying out the new movie15.sty package, I found that
>> >the dvipdf driver works properly while dvipdfm does not.
>> >
>> >I then found that my MiKTeX distribution did not include
>> >the dvipdf driver (I used dvipdf on my Sun/Solaris box).
>> >Additionally, I could not find it on CTAN. Is this driver
>> >being discontinued? Any idea on where I can get one for
>> >Windows?
>>
>> Dvipdf is (AFAIK) not "well defined", but is rather (where it exists at
>> all) a script that runs dvips (to produce .ps) and then ghostscript to
>> produce pdf. Assuming one has ghostscript properly installed, it is
>> roughly the equivalent of runing dvips on a .dvi file followed by
>> running the batch file ps2pdf (from GS) on the resulting .ps file.
>
>Either I'd forgotten that or never knew it. Thanks Dan.

I should point out that I said AFAIK (as far as I know). I deduced this
from three observations (and so I could be wrong). One is that MiKTeX
and fpTeX don't contain dvipdf as a program, another is that some
editor/shells have a dvipdf buttom that works absent and dvipdf program,
an a third is that the only man page I've ever seen for dvipdf says:

DVIPDF(1)                         Ghostscript
NAME
       dvipdf - Convert TeX DVI file to PDF using ghostscript and dvips

SYNOPSIS
       dvipdf [ options ] input.dvi [ output.pdf ] ...

DESCRIPTION
       This  script  invokes dvips(1) with the -q option, and pipes its
       output into gs(1) with the following options:
            -q -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite
       as well as -sOutputFile and any options from the command-line.

SEE ALSO
       gs(1), dvips(1)

Still, in the mid-90's there was talk of an actual dvi driver program
by that name and some articles that compare it to dvips+distiller
(articles old enough that using GS wasn't an option). So it is
conceivable an actual program exists on some system.

Dan

--
Dan Luecking                     Department of Mathematical Sciences
University of Arkansas           Fayetteville, Arkansas 72701
To reply by email, change Look-In-Sig to luecking
0
Look-In-Sig (1094)
9/16/2004 6:29:50 PM
Dan Luecking wrote:
> On 16 Sep 2004 11:51:24 -0400, Randy Yates
> <randy.yates@sonyericsson.com> wrote:
> >Dan Luecking <Look-In-Sig@uark.edu> writes:
> >> Dvipdf is (AFAIK) not "well defined", but is rather (where it exists at
> >> all) a script that runs dvips (to produce .ps) and then ghostscript to
> >> produce pdf. Assuming one has ghostscript properly installed, it is
> >> roughly the equivalent of runing dvips on a .dvi file followed by
> >> running the batch file ps2pdf (from GS) on the resulting .ps file.
> >
> >Either I'd forgotten that or never knew it. Thanks Dan.
>
> I should point out that I said AFAIK (as far as I know). I deduced this
> from three observations (and so I could be wrong).
[...]

For whatever it's worth, dvipdf in my Cygwin teTeX installation is
simply the following script (which I've put as a quotation so that my
newsreader won't line-wrap it.  I imagine that a simple cut-and-paste of
it (with the quote-marks taken out) would work fine on any system with
sh, dvips, and gs installed.

- Brooks

> #!/bin/sh
> # $Id: dvipdf,v 1.2 2001/06/22 16:09:22 lpd Exp $
> # Convert DVI to PDF.
> #
> # Please contact Andrew Ford <A.Ford@ford-mason.co.uk> with any questions
> # about this file.
> #
> # Based on ps2pdf
>
> OPTIONS=""
> while true
> do
>         case "$1" in
>         -*) OPTIONS="$OPTIONS $1" ;;
>         *)  break ;;
>         esac
>         shift
> done
>
> if [ $# -lt 1 -o $# -gt 2 ]; then
>         echo "Usage: `basename $0` [options...] input.dvi [output.pdf]" 1>&2
>         exit 1
> fi
>
> infile=$1;
>
> if [ $# -eq 1 ]
> then
>         case "${infile}" in
>           *.dvi)        base=`basename "${infile}" .dvi` ;;
>           *)            base=`basename "${infile}"` ;;
>         esac
>         outfile="${base}".pdf
> else
>         outfile=$2
> fi
>
> # We have to include the options twice because -I only takes effect if it
> # appears before other options.
> exec dvips -q -f "$infile" | gs $OPTIONS -q -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile="$outfile" $OPTIONS -c .setpdfwrite -

bmoses-nospam (1266)
9/16/2004 7:29:21 PM
 Dan Luecking <Look-In-Sig@uark.edu> writes:
>On 16 Sep 2004 11:51:24 -0400, Randy Yates
>[...]
>>Dan Luecking <Look-In-Sig@uark.edu> writes:
>>> Dvipdf is (AFAIK) not "well defined", but is rather (where it exists at
>>> all) a script that runs dvips (to produce .ps) and then ghostscript to
>>> produce pdf.
>
>I should point out that I said AFAIK (as far as I know). I deduced this
>from three observations (and so I could be wrong). One is that MiKTeX
>and fpTeX don't contain dvipdf as a program, another is that some
>editor/shells have a dvipdf buttom that works absent and dvipdf program,
>an a third is that the only man page I've ever seen for dvipdf says:

some long time back there was a dvipdf program written by sergey
lesenko, that showed some promise.  there were at least two papers at
tug conferences (here's one:
http://www.tug.org/TUGboat/Articles/tb18-3/tb56lese.pdf), but for all
its early promise i don't believe anything was ever released onto the
street.  (unless it's been bundled up into bakoma tex in a way not
obvious to the outside world.)

and then mark wicks needed a dvi->pdf translator, and wrote one
(apparently) in next to no time flat.  so we stopped being irritated
that dvipdf _still_ hadn't appeared, and no-one even remembers it now.
--
Robin (http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq) Fairbairns, Cambridge
0