xsl variable $node/text() but $node can non-node-set help!

I have a variable $value as a parameter in the following template:

<xsl:template name="myTemplate">
	<xsl:param name="value"/>
	<xsl:if test="$value">
		<xsl:value-of select="$value"/>
	</xsl:if>
</xsl:template>

Now i call myTemplate sometimes whit the a parameter $value that
is sometimes a text node, and sometimes it is not even a node.
Example:

<inputDoc>
  <a>hello</a>
  <a/>
</inputDoc>

xsl:

<xsl:for-each select="/inputDoc/a">
  <xsl:call-template name="myTemplate">
   <xsl:with-param name="value" select="./text()"/>
  </xsl:call-template>
</xsl:for-each>

So i call myTemplate with parameter $value=a/text()

But for the second <a> element in <inputDoc> there
is not text() node.

This gives me the following error:

Cause: javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: The value is not a
node-set

With line number of the error pointing to the xsl:if in myTemplate.

No i tried the function nilled(), but that is XPath 2.0, i only
use XPath 1.0 and XSL 1.0

i know a possible solution is this:

<xsl:for-each select="/inputDoc/a">
  <xsl:choose>
   <xsl:when test=".[not(node())]">

    <xsl:call-template name="myTemplate">
     <xsl:with-param name="value" select="false()"/>
    </xsl:call-template>

   </xsl:when>
   <xsl:otherwise>

    <xsl:call-template name="myTemplate">
     <xsl:with-param name="value" select="./text()"/>
    </xsl:call-template>

   </xsl:otherwise>
</xsl:for-each>

But this requires me to change every call to myTemplate,
which is alot of code. Can't i change myTemplate so
it works?

Who can help me? Please..
0
tjerk (220)

Tjerk Wolterink wrote:

> I have a variable $value as a parameter in the following template:
>
> <xsl:template name="myTemplate">
>     <xsl:param name="value"/>
>     <xsl:if test="$value">
>         <xsl:value-of select="$value"/>
>     </xsl:if>
> </xsl:template>
>
> Now i call myTemplate sometimes whit the a parameter $value that
> is sometimes a text node, and sometimes it is not even a node.
> Example:
>
> <inputDoc>
>  <a>hello</a>
>  <a/>
> </inputDoc>
>
> xsl:
>
> <xsl:for-each select="/inputDoc/a">
>  <xsl:call-template name="myTemplate">
>   <xsl:with-param name="value" select="./text()"/>

That means the value you pass in _is_ a node set (of text nodes) but
that node set might be empty. I don't see why that should give you an
error for <xsl:if test="$value">, doing that test on an empty node set
should simply yield false.

> This gives me the following error:
>
> Cause: javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: The value is not a
> node-set
>
> With line number of the error pointing to the xsl:if in myTemplate.

What XSLT processor is that? Are you sure the code is as simple as you
have posted? Have you tried with different XSLT processors?

--

	Martin Honnen
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

A typical advise/requirement is to post a complete (but the minimal
possible) example of the xslt stylesheet and the source xml document, to say
what is the expected result, what is the actual result and how the actual
result differs from what was expected.

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev.

0