php

Hi Guys,

Installed FreeBSD 5.1;fine Got Apache2, MySQL working.
Installed php 4.3.4 ok
Try to run phpMyAdmin (latest version), but somehow there isn't anything
generated.
Am I overlooking something?
Like installing a lib?

Any nfo is welcome

Henk Lutgerink
http://avatar.demon.nl
0
henk
11/29/2003 12:53:04 PM
comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc 13187 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

henk lutgerink wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Installed FreeBSD 5.1;fine Got Apache2, MySQL working.
> Installed php 4.3.4 ok
> Try to run phpMyAdmin (latest version), but somehow there isn't anything
> generated.
> Am I overlooking something?
> Like installing a lib?

You don't say whether you've installed the phpMyAdmin port. (In
/usr/ports/databases.)
--
Bob
London, UK
Robert Downes wrote:

> henk lutgerink wrote:
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> Installed FreeBSD 5.1;fine Got Apache2, MySQL working.
>> Installed php 4.3.4 ok
>> Try to run phpMyAdmin (latest version), but somehow there isn't anything
>> generated.
>> Am I overlooking something?
>> Like installing a lib?
>
> You don't say whether you've installed the phpMyAdmin port. (In
> /usr/ports/databases.)
yes, I did install phpMyAdmin in /usr/ports/database.

I got the feeling I still have to ./configure, make, make install?
If so Please let me know.

ps: server is running on http://avatar.demon.nl
0
henk
12/1/2003 6:39:23 AM
henk lutgerink wrote:

> yes, I did install phpMyAdmin in /usr/ports/database.
>
> I got the feeling I still have to ./configure, make, make install?
> If so Please let me know.

If you didn't do `make; make install` to install phpMyAdmin, how did you
install it?

../configure is not something I've ever done in FreeBSD, but it may be a
possible command. I tend to set compile variables through the shell
environment.

By the way, what are you using phpMyAdmin for? I just use the mysql
command line tool. It's not exactly graphical, but it's easy.
--
Bob
London, UK
echo Mail fefsensmrrjyaheeoceoq\! | tr "jefroq\!" "@obe.uk"
0
Robert
12/2/2003 5:15:31 PM
In article <3fccc8b4$0$122$65c69314@mercury.nildram.net>, Robert Downes wrote:
> henk lutgerink wrote:
>
>> yes, I did install phpMyAdmin in /usr/ports/database.

I sure do hope you installed _from_ /usr/ports/databases/phpmyadmin?
The default target is /usr/local, or /usr/X11R6 for X-based Stuff.

>> I got the feeling I still have to ./configure, make, make install?
>> If so Please let me know.

All you do is

  cd /usr/ports/databases/phpmyadmin
  make install

That _should_ take care of all you need.

> ./configure is not something I've ever done in FreeBSD, but it may be a
> possible command. I tend to set compile variables through the shell
> environment.

You can, of course, do it yourself if you want to. You can also have
the ports system do it for you. make configure does everything up to
and including any configure step, but no further.

> By the way, what are you using phpMyAdmin for? I just use the mysql
> command line tool. It's not exactly graphical, but it's easy.

*shrug* At this point I see no reason to ask that question. phpMyAdmin
is for administrating a MySQL database through a php-enabled webserver.

Some people like GUIs. Some like command line tools more. Whatever.
If there were some indications OP was trying to use $app for something
it clearly wasn't intended for (and maybe there's a better solution),
then, yes. But at this point, no.

jpd
12/2/2003 5:50:47 PM
jpd wrote:
> *shrug* At this point I see no reason to ask that question. phpMyAdmin
> is for administrating a MySQL database through a php-enabled webserver.

Ah, jpd. It's been a while since I felt flames from your direction. I'd
gone ever-so-slightly cold.

> Some people like GUIs. Some like command line tools more. Whatever.
> If there were some indications OP was trying to use $app for something
> it clearly wasn't intended for (and maybe there's a better solution),
> then, yes. But at this point, no.

Yes, I know what phpMyAdmin is. But I wondered if henk could point out
some killer feature that I'd never noticed. I love GUIs, but web-based
SQL tinkering has never seemed much superior to command-line flexibility.
--
Bob
London, UK
echo Mail fefsensmrrjyaheeoceoq\! | tr "jefroq\!" "@obe.uk"
0
Robert
12/4/2003 2:06:27 AM
In article <3fce96a4$0$92539$65c69314@mercury.nildram.net>, Robert Downes wrote:
> jpd wrote:
> Ah, jpd. It's been a while since I felt flames from your direction. I'd
> gone ever-so-slightly cold.

Right in time for the cold season, then.

[snip]
> Yes, I know what phpMyAdmin is. But I wondered if henk could point out
> some killer feature that I'd never noticed.

[...] given that he didn't get it to install. Then again, you never know.

> I love GUIs, but web-based
> SQL tinkering has never seemed much superior to command-line flexibility.

GUIs don't appeal much to me. And frankly, using a deci-megabyte app. just
as an intermediate, never made much sense to me. It's slow as hell, too.

Then again, sometimes you want to have everything, --or at least a large
chunk of that-- at once on your screen. Graphical stuff can help there.
And, of course, there's the effect of n00b no understand, n00b scaaared,
which many believe can be alleviated by throwing lots of eye-candy at
said n00b. So much so that eye-candy seems to have become a requirement.

jpd
12/4/2003 9:12:09 AM
jpd wrote:

> GUIs don't appeal much to me. And frankly, using a deci-megabyte app. just
> as an intermediate, never made much sense to me. It's slow as hell, too.

Do you mean deka-megabyte? A deci-megabyte seems very small. But, having
used Windows for five years, anything under 100Mb seems small.

> Then again, sometimes you want to have everything, --or at least a large
> chunk of that-- at once on your screen. Graphical stuff can help there.
> And, of course, there's the effect of n00b no understand, n00b scaaared,
> which many believe can be alleviated by throwing lots of eye-candy at
> said n00b. So much so that eye-candy seems to have become a requirement.

Oh, yeah, I've definitely got to make you a high-level admin on my forum
system. Which you'll be pleased to know does not use any graphics at
all. (I can't afford the extra bandwidth.) I'll just have to persuade
you to stay out of any beginners' boards.
--
Bob
London, UK
echo Mail fefsensmrrjyaheeoceoq\! | tr "jefroq\!" "@obe.uk"
0
Robert
12/4/2003 3:32:26 PM
> ps: server is running on http://avatar.demon.nl
Ummm, do you really really think that:

a.) putting warez on a public webserver (the names kind of imply
     that...)
and
b.) making the address public

is a good idea?

Just my $0.02
Holger
0
Holger
12/4/2003 4:59:09 PM
In article <3fcf538c$0$98781$65c69314@mercury.nildram.net>,
Robert Downes wrote:
> jpd wrote:
>> GUIs don't appeal much to me. And frankly, using a deci-megabyte app. just
>> as an intermediate, never made much sense to me. It's slow as hell, too.
>
> Do you mean deka-megabyte? A deci-megabyte seems very small. But, having
> used Windows for five years, anything under 100Mb seems small.

Probably, yeah. (Don't post before coff^Wtea in the morning...)

[snip]
> Oh, yeah, I've definitely got to make you a high-level admin on my forum
> system. Which you'll be pleased to know does not use any graphics at
> all. (I can't afford the extra bandwidth.) I'll just have to persuade
> you to stay out of any beginners' boards.

I'll stick to usenet, thanks.

jpd