X Window Problem

Hello all,

I have a linux box having a X server running on it. What i want to do
is to run the application
on my linux box and send the display on my machine which is FreeBSD
4.8. I am connected to linux box through telnet. I did the usual
display stuff i.e xhost + and setting DISPLAY variable on linux
machine.  But it is not giving me the requried results : ( !
It keeps on giving me "unable to open display" error all the time no
matter what i try out.

I tried the same with linux to linux boxes ! it worked without a hitch
! The problem is only comming when linux to FreeBSD connection is
involved ! I guess this is happenin bcoz my FreeBSD box is not
accepting the remtoe X connections. Is there some configuration i have
to do ??

Any kind of help will be appreciated : )

Thanks in advance.
0
tornado579
1/20/2004 2:00:48 PM
comp.unix.bsd.freebsd 391 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

on Tue, 20 Jan 2004 at 14:00 GMT, tornado wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a linux box having a X server running on it. What i want to do
> is to run the application
> on my linux box and send the display on my machine which is FreeBSD
> 4.8. I am connected to linux box through telnet. I did the usual
> display stuff i.e xhost + and setting DISPLAY variable on linux
> machine.  But it is not giving me the requried results : ( !
> It keeps on giving me "unable to open display" error all the time no
> matter what i try out.
>
> I tried the same with linux to linux boxes ! it worked without a hitch
> ! The problem is only comming when linux to FreeBSD connection is
> involved ! I guess this is happenin bcoz my FreeBSD box is not
> accepting the remtoe X connections. Is there some configuration i have
> to do ??
>
> Any kind of help will be appreciated : )

Just to set some things right:

In your case, the X *server* needs to run on FreeBSD, the X *client* is
the app you're trying to start on the Linux-box.

on FreeBSD (you want anything to connect to it):

# xhost +

telnet to linux.
on Linux:

# export DISPLAY=freebsd:0

(replace freebsd with the dns-name (or IP) of that box)

Should work

Regards, Peter
--
Monday is an awful way to spend one seventh of your life.

MSN/Mail: pboosten at hotmail dot com
0
Peter
1/20/2004 2:08:44 PM
take a look in your startx script and make sure that the -nolisten tcp
option is not specified, if it is, you'll have exactly the problem
you're having.

-Glenn

tornado wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a linux box having a X server running on it. What i want to do
> is to run the application
> on my linux box and send the display on my machine which is FreeBSD
> 4.8. I am connected to linux box through telnet. I did the usual
> display stuff i.e xhost + and setting DISPLAY variable on linux
> machine.  But it is not giving me the requried results : ( !
> It keeps on giving me "unable to open display" error all the time no
> matter what i try out.
>
> I tried the same with linux to linux boxes ! it worked without a hitch
> ! The problem is only comming when linux to FreeBSD connection is
> involved ! I guess this is happenin bcoz my FreeBSD box is not
> accepting the remtoe X connections. Is there some configuration i have
> to do ??
>
> Any kind of help will be appreciated : )
>
> Thanks in advance.

Glenn
1/21/2004 11:04:59 PM
Thanks Glenn it worked ! It was causing a lot of frustating time for
me to get it worked.
Thanks so much again :)

Bye.

Glenn Dawson <news@antimatter.net> wrote in message news:<400f059b$1_1@127.0.0.1>...
> take a look in your startx script and make sure that the -nolisten tcp
> option is not specified, if it is, you'll have exactly the problem
> you're having.
>
> -Glenn
>
> tornado wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have a linux box having a X server running on it. What i want to do
> > is to run the application
> > on my linux box and send the display on my machine which is FreeBSD
> > 4.8. I am connected to linux box through telnet. I did the usual
> > display stuff i.e xhost + and setting DISPLAY variable on linux
> > machine.  But it is not giving me the requried results : ( !
> > It keeps on giving me "unable to open display" error all the time no
> > matter what i try out.
> >
> > I tried the same with linux to linux boxes ! it worked without a hitch
> > ! The problem is only comming when linux to FreeBSD connection is
> > involved ! I guess this is happenin bcoz my FreeBSD box is not
> > accepting the remtoe X connections. Is there some configuration i have
> > to do ??
> >
> > Any kind of help will be appreciated : )
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

> http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
> ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
0
tornado579
1/22/2004 5:50:50 AM
No problem...glad to be of help.