/bin/bash: Permission Denied

Im learning abt cron and tried to setup a dummy crontab.
after writing the backup script using rsync and sh im gettin the error:
"/bin/bash: /var/cmsfile: Permission denied"

The cmsstart content is :
MAILTO="thecoolon...@hotmail.com"
* * * * * /var/cmsfile

The content of cmsfile is

#! /bin/bash
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin
if [! -f /tmp/syncingcmsbackup ]
then
touch /tmp/syncingcmsbackup
/usr/bin/rsync -av -e /usr/bin/ssh
thecool...@serv1.vtu.org:/backup/files/*  /var/testingbackup
rm /tmp/syncingcmsbackup
fi

any help is welcomed.

Thanx in advance

0
jahan9 (55)

On 29 Nov 2006 01:13:43 -0800, "thecoolone" <jahan9@gmail.com> wrote:

>Im learning abt cron and tried to setup a dummy crontab.
>after writing the backup script using rsync and sh im gettin the error:
>"/bin/bash: /var/cmsfile: Permission denied"

OK, I'll bite:  What are the permissions on /var/cmsfile?

<snip>

Scott McMillan
0
smcmillan (35)
11/29/2006 2:18:40 PM
Scott McMillan wrote:
> On 29 Nov 2006 01:13:43 -0800, "thecoolone" <jahan9@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Im learning abt cron and tried to setup a dummy crontab.
> >after writing the backup script using rsync and sh im gettin the error:
> >"/bin/bash: /var/cmsfile: Permission denied"
>
> OK, I'll bite:  What are the permissions on /var/cmsfile?

ls -al /var
-rwxrwxrwx   1 root    root     241 Nov 30 02:03 cmsfile

0
jahan9 (55)
11/30/2006 7:12:00 AM
In article <1164870720.093813.40790@80g2000cwy.googlegroups.com>,
thecoolone <jahan9@gmail.com> wrote:

>Scott McMillan wrote:
>> On 29 Nov 2006 01:13:43 -0800, "thecoolone" <jahan9@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Im learning abt cron and tried to setup a dummy crontab.
>> >after writing the backup script using rsync and sh im gettin the error:
>> >"/bin/bash: /var/cmsfile: Permission denied"
>>
>> OK, I'll bite:  What are the permissions on /var/cmsfile?
>>

>ls -al /var
>-rwxrwxrwx   1 root    root     241 Nov 30 02:03 cmsfile

And how abhout the /var directory.  You need permissions there too.

Bill

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
0