"Joining" files in filePro 4.0

Hi All,

I'm trying to help a friend update his home-grown accounting system
written in filePro 4.0.  (I've had experience in dBase,FoxPro (pre
Windows),SQL Server ... but no filePro.).  When developing an Update
Screen,  I'd like to populate some field with data from a secondary
file's record whose key matches data in a reference field in the
subject file's current record.

I thought Processing Tables would enable me to do that,  but I can't
find any mechanism there.

Any ideas.

Thanks in Advance,
Richard

On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 09:59:49AM -0700, Richard wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to help a friend update his home-grown accounting system
> written in filePro 4.0.  (I've had experience in dBase,FoxPro (pre
> Windows),SQL Server ... but no filePro.).  When developing an Update
> Screen,  I'd like to populate some field with data from a secondary
> file's record whose key matches data in a reference field in the
> subject file's current record.
>
> I thought Processing Tables would enable me to do that,  but I can't
> find any mechanism there.
>
> Any ideas.
>
> Thanks in Advance,
> Richard

try this mailing list for support on filePro:

--- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ---
-Joe Chasan-                      Magnatech Business Systems, Inc.
joe@magnatechonline.com           Hicksville, NY - USA
http://www.MagnatechOnline.com    Tel.(516) 931-4444/Fax.(516) 931-1264
0
joe851 (106)
6/19/2006 6:15:34 PM
Richard wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to help a friend update his home-grown accounting system
> written in filePro 4.0.  (I've had experience in dBase,FoxPro (pre
> Windows),SQL Server ... but no filePro.).  When developing an Update
> Screen,  I'd like to populate some field with data from a secondary
> file's record whose key matches data in a reference field in the
> subject file's current record.
>
> I thought Processing Tables would enable me to do that,  but I can't
> find any mechanism there.
>
> Any ideas.

What you are discussing in filePro terms is called a LOOKUP

Hopefully your friend has at least version 4.05 of filepro so that you have at
least a Y2K version of filePro. filePro is now at version 5.6.

There is CD based training you can buy at
http://www.valar.com/training/choice.html

You can attend classes at
http://www.stn.com/stn70.html#A1

The filePro manual is online at
http://www.fptech.com/Products/Docs/fpmanhtm/startfrm.htm

You can join the mailing list at
http://mailman.celestial.com/mailman/listinfo/filepro-list

0
wvaughan (63)
6/19/2006 7:43:42 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks to you both for the links.

Walter,  thanks for the key to this mystery: Lookups.  I never would
have thought of it.

Regarding 4.05, I only see 3.0 installation and 4.0 update floppies.
His version is probably not 4.05.  I doubt there's a version option
hidden somewhere, ala java, ruby, etc.

Regarding Y2K, this guy's accounting software was written in 1980 using
fP 3.0 and updated to 4.0 in 1990.  But, since he's been running 5+
years in the 20th Century,  I'm confident any of those bugs
(software+data) have been eliminated.  In any case,  I'll recognize the
problem should it pop up.

Best wishes to both of you,
Richard