f



Root account locked how to recover?

I got a call this morning from a client that had used the
scoadmin -> account manager to change root's password to
a system generated password and now can't login as root.

I used SSH to connect to the system and executed su and
supplied the password she had written down and I get the
message:

[smf] unix!/u/smf $ su
Password:
Account is disabled -- see Account Administrator.
[smf] unix!/u/smf $

The system is running apparently without problems (except I see
in /usr/adm/syslog:
Sep 14 16:12:29 unix inetd[27023]: smp_set_id failed Interrupted system call, (no reason available), 8
Sep 14 16:17:29 unix inetd[27370]: smp_set_id failed Interrupted system call, (no reason available), 8
Sep 14 11:21:58 unix sshd[27940]: Accepted publickey for smf from 65.66.156.196
Sep 14 16:22:33 unix inetd[28057]: smp_set_id failed Interrupted system call, (no reason available), 8
Sep 14 16:27:42 unix inetd[28329]: smp_set_id failed Interrupted system call, (no reason available), 8
(END) the smp_set_id failed started today 9/14 :
Sep 11 16:13:27 unix telnetd[4110]: ttloop:  read: Connection reset by peer
Sep 13 04:00:02 unix WARNING: table_grow - exec data table page limit of 25 page
Sep 14 08:01:36 unix telnetd[25022]: ttloop:  read: Connection reset by peer
Sep 14 13:56:13 unix inetd[14708]: smp_set_id failed Interrupted system call, (n
Sep 14 14:01:14 unix inetd[15618]: smp_set_id failed Interrupted system call,

about 16 - 13 or 11 - 3 so about 8:56 am and that agrees with the change root password).

She had logged in as root, used scoadmin to add a new user and then exited and reentered
scoadmin and changed the root password. She then exited scoadmin and unfortunately
logged off the system as root before testing the new password by logging in on another
tty or telnet session. Also unfortunate, there is no idle terminal with root logged in.

I don't know why the root account is locked unless the operator changing the root
password finger fumbled the login 5 times and the account was disabled automatically.


I think that the following is a good plan:

sync
sync
then power off to reboot (can't login in as root so can't shut down by command)
reboot and enter new root password at Ctl-D prompt
Try to run scoadmin to unlock the root account.

If the above failles to clear the lock then reboot to single user mode again
and try:

  usermod -x '{administrativeLockApplied 0} {unsuccessfulLoginAttempts 0}' root


The above is from TA110161.  Unfortunately searching for "root account disabled"
does not pull up a TA.

since some scripts I have installed on the system that runs from cron and execute
su as part of the command string, are failing, I'll have to respond to the client's
site and attempt the above.

Just posting for comments at this time.

-- 
                                      Steve Fabac
                                       S.M. Fabac & Associates
                                        816/765-1670
0
Steve
9/14/2009 4:55:00 PM
comp.unix.sco.misc 3925 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

1 Replies
2495 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 38

Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:
> I got a call this morning from a client that had used the
> scoadmin -> account manager to change root's password to
> a system generated password and now can't login as root.
> 
> I used SSH to connect to the system and executed su and
> supplied the password she had written down and I get the
> message:
> 
> [smf] unix!/u/smf $ su
> Password:
> Account is disabled -- see Account Administrator.
> [smf] unix!/u/smf $
> 
> The system is running apparently without problems (except I see
> in /usr/adm/syslog:
> Sep 14 16:12:29 unix inetd[27023]: smp_set_id failed Interrupted system call, (no reason available), 8
> Sep 14 16:17:29 unix inetd[27370]: smp_set_id failed Interrupted system call, (no reason available), 8
> Sep 14 11:21:58 unix sshd[27940]: Accepted publickey for smf from 65.66.156.196
> Sep 14 16:22:33 unix inetd[28057]: smp_set_id failed Interrupted system call, (no reason available), 8
> Sep 14 16:27:42 unix inetd[28329]: smp_set_id failed Interrupted system call, (no reason available), 8
> (END) the smp_set_id failed started today 9/14 :
 >
> Sep 11 16:13:27 unix telnetd[4110]: ttloop:  read: Connection reset by peer
> Sep 13 04:00:02 unix WARNING: table_grow - exec data table page limit of 25 page
> Sep 14 08:01:36 unix telnetd[25022]: ttloop:  read: Connection reset by peer
> Sep 14 13:56:13 unix inetd[14708]: smp_set_id failed Interrupted system call, (n
> Sep 14 14:01:14 unix inetd[15618]: smp_set_id failed Interrupted system call,
> 
> about 16 - 13 or 11 - 3 so about 8:56 am and that agrees with the change 
> root password).
> 
> She had logged in as root, used scoadmin to add a new user and then exited and reentered
> scoadmin and changed the root password. She then exited scoadmin and unfortunately
> logged off the system as root before testing the new password by logging in on another
> tty or telnet session. Also unfortunate, there is no idle terminal with root logged in.
> 
> I don't know why the root account is locked unless the operator changing the root
> password finger fumbled the login 5 times and the account was disabled automatically.
> 
> 
> I think that the following is a good plan:
> 
> sync
> sync
> then power off to reboot (can't login in as root so can't shut down by command)
> reboot and enter new root password at Ctl-D prompt
> Try to run scoadmin to unlock the root account.
> 
> If the above failles to clear the lock then reboot to single user mode again
> and try:
> 
>  usermod -x '{administrativeLockApplied 0} {unsuccessfulLoginAttempts 0}' root
> 
> 
> The above is from TA110161.  Unfortunately searching for "root account disabled"
> does not pull up a TA.
> 
> since some scripts I have installed on the system that runs from cron and execute
> su as part of the command string, are failing, I'll have to respond to the client's
> site and attempt the above.
> 
> Just posting for comments at this time.
> 

I confess to a brain fart. The solution was to login as root on the system
console. That cleared the root account disable status.

I'm sure that this is covered somewhere in the product documentation, but
it would be a nice addition to TA110161 since that's where someone experiencing
the problem will be looking for an answer to his/her problem.

In my defense, the server is located in the server room and the on-site
administrator was logging in from her Windows desktop. I did not think
to have her try the login on the console. Of course, when I arrived intending
to perform the power off reboot, I had to do this at the machine. Fortunately,
I tested root login at the console and was pleasantly surprised when the login
succeeded.

Interestingly, the smp_set_id log messages ceased at the time I logged in as
root on the system console:

root     co    tty01        3598   Mon Sep 14 12:35      00:01

Sep 14 17:29:48 unix inetd[3517]: smp_set_id failed Interrupted system call, (no
Sep 14 17:35:13 unix inetd[3593]: smp_set_id failed Interrupted system call, (no
Sep 14 13:38:45 unix sshd[16465]: Accepted publickey for smf from 65.66.156.196
(END)

-- 
                                      Steve Fabac
                                       S.M. Fabac & Associates
                                        816/765-1670
0
Steve
9/14/2009 6:46:50 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

how recover a root pass in SCO Unix, I need some help.
Hi, i'm from Ecuador. I need some help because, i've a terminal with SCO Unix, i need recover root's password. This terminal was used for last time at 2000, but the owner need all your information, altought, he don't remmember the root's pass. Somebody know any form to enter into the system? Best Regars, leptium Guayaquil, Ecuador. In article <1153965561.359046.210420@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, leptium <leptin@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi, i'm from Ecuador. I need some help because, i've a terminal with >SCO Unix, i need recover root's pass...

SCO Unix CAPS LOCK stuck ON
Hi, I have a problem where sometimes a user presses some set of keys that causes the CAPS LOCK to be locked on. So the user cannot type any numbers any more until the system is rebooted. Not sure if anyone has come across this but I think we could kill the psuedo screens and let them respawn and it will probably cure the problem. Could somebody help me with a clever command to do this. I'm hoping to do a ps -ef | grep uv and pass the process id to the kill command. uv is the process that the user will be running on several of the psuedo ttys. Thanks, Marty ...

UNIX like operating systems
As Apple gravitates towards more things UNIX, it may not be a bad idea to avail of the free root access I provide. Via such free account, hardware issues, device drivers, system operformance, and applications on a UNIX like operating system, may, be delved into. For inconveniencing you, I apologize. Now, to avail of free root access, first login to one system: telnet trainingzone.getmyip.com (username: unix password: no password, hit enter), then, telnet 192.168.0.108 AND/OR telnet 192.168.0.128 (username:root password: no password, hit enter). Updates about the free training, free root...

UNIX like operating systems
To learn, a free root account, is a tool. It may not be a bad idea to avail of the free root access I provide. Via such free account, 64 bit computing, computer protocols, security, pgp, online broadcasts, privacy, security, etc, may, be delved into. Issues in, internet connectivity, may be, via appropriate use of a free root account, to some extent, resolved. For inconveniencing you, I apologize. You may install some compilers(licensed), etc...you may install/ build, test....if there are issues, contact me. Now, to avail of free root access, first login to one system: telnet...

UNIX like operating systems
To learn, a free root account, is a tool. It may not be a bad idea to avail of the free root access I provide. Via such free account, SAS, SPSS and other application and system resources on a UNIX like operating system, may, be delved into. Issues in, use of software, may be, via appropriate use of a free root account, to some extent, resolved. For inconveniencing you, I apologize. You may install some compilers(licensed), etc...you may install/ build, test....if there are issues, contact me. Now, to avail of free root access, first login to one system: telnet trainingzone.get...

UPDATE ON FREE UNIX ROOT ACCOUNT ON SOLARIS 10 SPARC
For inconveniencing you, I apologize. Now, to avail of free root access, first login to one system(username: unix password: no password, hit enter), then, telnet 192.168.0.108 (username:root, password: nopt password,hit enter). Updates about the free training, free root account, will be made available on: http://www.kartik.com/FreeUNIXaccount.html Do not hesitate to contact me. Comfort and Peace, I wish for you. Kartik Vashishta ...

UPDATE ON FREE UNIX ROOT ACCOUNT ON SOLARIS 10 SPARC
For inconveniencing you, I apologize. Now, to avail of free root access, first login to one system: telnet trainingzone.getmyip.com (username: unix password: no password, hit enter), then, telnet 192.168.0.108 (username:root, password: nopt password,hit enter). Updates about the free training, free root account, will be made available on: http://www.kartik.com/FreeUNIXaccount.html Do not hesitate to contact me. Comfort and Peace, I wish for you. Kartik Vashishta solquestions@lycos.com wrote: Spam. Reported. Malke -- MS-MVP Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic! http://www.elephan...

UPDATE ON FREE UNIX ROOT ACCOUNT ON SOLARIS 10 SPARC #2
For inconveniencing you, I apologize. Now, to avail of free root access, first login to one system(username: unix password: no password, hit enter), then, telnet 192.168.0.108 (username:root, password: nopt password,hit enter). Updates about the free training, free root account, will be made available on: http://www.kartik.com/FreeUNIXaccount.html Do not hesitate to contact me. Comfort and Peace, I wish for you. Kartik Vashishta ...

UPDATE ON FREE UNIX ROOT ACCOUNT ON SOLARIS 10 SPARC #3
For inconveniencing you, I apologize. Now, to avail of free root access, first login to one system: telnet trainingzone.getmyip.com (username: unix password: no password, hit enter), then, telnet 192.168.0.108 (username:root, password: nopt password,hit enter). Updates about the free training, free root account, will be made available on: http://www.kartik.com/FreeUNIXaccount.html Do not hesitate to contact me. Comfort and Peace, I wish for you. Kartik Vashishta solquestions@lycos.com wrote: > > For inconveniencing you, I apologize. Then why did you do it? c.l.c deals with the...

UPDATE ON FREE UNIX ROOT ACCOUNT ON SOLARIS 10 SPARC #2
For inconveniencing you, I apologize. Now, to avail of free root access, first login to one system: telnet trainingzone.getmyip.com (username: unix password: no password, hit enter), then, telnet 192.168.0.108 (username:root, password: nopt password,hit enter). Updates about the free training, free root account, will be made available on: http://www.kartik.com/FreeUNIXaccount.html Do not hesitate to contact me. Comfort and Peace, I wish for you. Kartik Vashishta ...

root permissions for non-root account
Hello, I am new to RH 9, and am wonder how I give my user account on the local machine, the same permissions as root (like a local admin group in windows)? I am getting tired of always having to type in the root password whenever I want to look at a tool, or make a change to the system. This is probably a very easy setting I am just missing. Thanks for you any help, Jeff Jeff DePies wrote: > Hello, > > I am new to RH 9, and am wonder how I give my user account on the > local machine, the same permissions as root (like a local admin group > in windows)...

What if someone breaks into the root account and changes the root password?
What if someone breaks into the root account and changes the root password? What would you do? I was thinking about this when I was thinking about why GNU su does not support the wheel group. Yuhong Bao yuhongbao_386@hotmail.com writes: > What if someone breaks into the root account and changes the root > password? > What would you do? Same as any malware infestation, but even quicker because you're 100% certain someone has owned the box: Backup important data to external storage (but don't trust it) Remove machine from network ...

account not locked?
I ran a diagnostic tool that gave me a slew of messages like these: "nobody" <--- account exists and is locked. This is GOOD. "ntp" <--- ACCOUNT EXISTS AND IS NOT LOCKED! PLEASE INVESTIGATE! It probably should be! What is an "account"? What does it mean to say that an account is "locked"? How can I tell if an account is locked or not? When should an account be locked? When should an account not be locked? How do I lock an account? And how do I unlock an account? I will me more than happy to RTFM of someone would...

Account Locked
Hi, Some one could tel me ? Sometimes a user account is locked and I do not know why? Can someone tell me how to log the lock? thank's On Dec 31, 10:02=A0am, eliot06 <p.hi...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > Some one could tel me ? > > Sometimes a user account is locked and I do not know why? > > Can someone tell me how to log the lock? > > thank's Check out the DBA_USERS view. E.g. SQL> select username, account_status, lock_date from dba_users where account_status !=3D 'OPEN'; Possible values for ACCOUNT_STATUS are: OPEN : account is open EX...

Web resources about - Root account locked how to recover? - comp.unix.sco.misc

A few page tab apps begin to recover losses following removal of default landing tab: here’s why
With the removal of Facebook’s default landing tab feature in March , most page tab applications have seen a significant drop in users, and many ...

recover - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
We noticed that you may be using an unsupported browser. All the basics will still work, but to get the most out of Flickr please upgrade to ...

Cheetah Cub Recovers from Surgery with Puppy Best Friend - YouTube
Accompanied by his puppy companion, a male cheetah cub at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park underwent surgery to repair growth abnormalities in his ...

Men injured in Dubai window-cleaning cradle fall expected to recover
Both men injured when a window cradle fell from a 34-storey tower on Tuesday morning are expected to make a full recovery, the regulator of the ...

Police recover bodies of man, two children from car driven at speed off Port Lincoln wharf - AdelaideNow ...
A MOTHER has been left devastated and a nation in shock after a father drove himself and their two young children to their deaths in the depths ...

Health Check: do you really need carbs to recover from exercise?
Carbohydrate-rich diets are often recommended as part of exercise regimes to promote recovery and maximise performance.

Nathan Tinkler liquidator hopes to recover $1.5m
... one of former coal billionaire Nathan Tinkler's horse farm companies estimated he could potentially claw back $1.5 million through legal recoveries ...

PHOTOS - Why Bolivia's dried up Lake Poopó may never recover
Environmental scientist Dirk Hoffmann says that rapid climate change, mining, and mismanagement of water have caused damage to Lake Poopó, that ...

D.C. struggles to recover from record blizzard - Videos - CBS News
The nation's capital is struggling to recover from a historic blizzard. The storm is blamed for at least 40 deaths in 11 states. Kris Van Cleave ...

NBA Star Recovers From Overtime Loss By Hitting Up The Strip Club
NBA Star Recovers From Overtime Loss By Hitting Up The Strip Club

Resources last updated: 1/29/2016 12:16:15 AM