SCSI tape not working after upgrade 5.0.5 -> 5.0.7

Good day,

After an upgrade of SCO OpenServer 5.0.5 running on Dell PowerEdge 2400 to
5.0.7 we found the tape drive does not work. In "mkdev tape", when you go
view the installed tape drives it lists none. But if you try to create a new
one, it can't:

---snip---
You are about to add the following SCSI device:

      Host              Adapter
Type  Adapter  Device   Number  ID      LUN     Bus
SCSI  alad     tape     0       6       0       0

Update SCSI configuration? (y/n) y

Cannot add this tape.
Another tape is already configured at this location.

SCSI configuration files not updated.
---snip---

If I try to remove a SCSI tape, it says there aren't any. Yes, the SCSI
details are correct. The device is plugged in and working properly - just
before the upgrade a full backup was done, and verified too. The device
details appear correctly in the mscsi file, the kernel was relinked.

Some random bits of information about the system follow:

# uname -a
SCO_SV phmas 3.2 5.0.7 i386

# dmesg
<snip>
%Stp-0    -               -  -  Vnd=ARCHIVE Prd=Python 04106-XXX Rev=7350

# sconf -v
Srom    alad    0       0       5       0
Stp     alad    0       0       6       0
Sdsk    perc    0       0       0       0
unknown perc    0       0       6       0

# ls -l /dev/*ct0
crw-rw-rw-   5 root     root      46,  8 Sep 15 17:43 /dev/nrct0
crw-rw-rw-   5 root     root      46,  0 Sep 15 17:43 /dev/rct0
crw-rw-rw-   3 root     root      46,128 Sep 15 17:43 /dev/xct0

# ls -l /dev/*Stp0
crw-rw-rw-   5 root     root      46,  8 Sep 15 17:43 /dev/nrStp0
crw-rw-rw-   5 root     root      46,  0 Sep 15 17:43 /dev/rStp0
crw-rw-rw-   3 root     root      46,128 Sep 15 17:43 /dev/xStp0

# tar tvf /dev/xct0
tar: cannot open: /dev/xct0

# cat /dev/xct0
cat: cannot open /dev/xct0: Device busy (error 16)

What am I missing?

Best regards,
Pavel

--
Pavel Tcholakov
Technology Systems Integration (Pty) Ltd.

hello

the information you send shows that another device is

using the 0 0 6 0 identificator

look for the file mscsi in the hd and delete the line

unknown perc    0       0       6       0

and reboot system

good luck

Originally posted by Pavel Tcholakov

On 16 Sep 2003 01:47:36 -0700, pavel@tsi.co.za (Pavel Tcholakov)
wrote:

>Good day,
>
>After an upgrade of SCO OpenServer 5.0.5 running on Dell PowerEdge 2400 to
>5.0.7 we found the tape drive does not work. In "mkdev tape", when you go
>view the installed tape drives it lists none. But if you try to create a new
>one, it can't:
>
>---snip---
>You are about to add the following SCSI device:
>
>      Host              Adapter
>Type  Adapter  Device   Number  ID      LUN     Bus
>SCSI  alad     tape     0       6       0       0
>
>Update SCSI configuration? (y/n) y
>
>Cannot add this tape.
>Another tape is already configured at this location.
>
>SCSI configuration files not updated.
>---snip---
>
>If I try to remove a SCSI tape, it says there aren't any. Yes, the SCSI
>details are correct. The device is plugged in and working properly - just
>before the upgrade a full backup was done, and verified too. The device
>details appear correctly in the mscsi file, the kernel was relinked.
>
>Some random bits of information about the system follow:
>
># uname -a
>SCO_SV phmas 3.2 5.0.7 i386
>
># dmesg
><snip>
>%Stp-0    -               -  -  Vnd=ARCHIVE Prd=Python 04106-XXX Rev=7350
>
># sconf -v
>Srom    alad    0       0       5       0
>Stp     alad    0       0       6       0
>Sdsk    perc    0       0       0       0
>unknown perc    0       0       6       0
>
># ls -l /dev/*ct0
>crw-rw-rw-   5 root     root      46,  8 Sep 15 17:43 /dev/nrct0
>crw-rw-rw-   5 root     root      46,  0 Sep 15 17:43 /dev/rct0
>crw-rw-rw-   3 root     root      46,128 Sep 15 17:43 /dev/xct0
>
># ls -l /dev/*Stp0
>crw-rw-rw-   5 root     root      46,  8 Sep 15 17:43 /dev/nrStp0
>crw-rw-rw-   5 root     root      46,  0 Sep 15 17:43 /dev/rStp0
>crw-rw-rw-   3 root     root      46,128 Sep 15 17:43 /dev/xStp0
>
># tar tvf /dev/xct0
>tar: cannot open: /dev/xct0
>
># cat /dev/xct0
>cat: cannot open /dev/xct0: Device busy (error 16)
>
>What am I missing?
>
>Best regards,
>Pavel
>
>--
>Pavel Tcholakov
>Technology Systems Integration (Pty) Ltd.
>Email: pavel!tsi.co.za  Tel: +27.11.792.1094

This TA may help:

Go to

http://support.caldera.com/rn_cgi/partneronline.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_li=&p_sp=

and search for TA # 110973

DDinAZ

0
ddinaz (65)
9/16/2003 11:17:09 AM
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 05:56:16 -0400, scofan <member35788@dbforums.com>
wrote:

>Originally posted by Pavel Tcholakov
>> Good day,
>>
>> After an upgrade of SCO OpenServer 5.0.5 running on Dell
>> PowerEdge 2400 to
>> 5..7 we found the tape drive does not work. In "mkdev tape", when
>>   you go
>> view the installed tape drives it lists none. But if you try to
>> create a new
>> one, it can't:
>>
>> ---snip---
>> You are about to add the following SCSI device:
>>
>>       Host              Adapter
>> Type  Adapter  Device   Number  ID      LUN     Bus
>> SCSI  alad     tape     0       6       0       0
>>
>> Update SCSI configuration? (y/n) y
>>
>> Cannot add this tape.
>> Another tape is already configured at this location.
>>
>> SCSI configuration files not updated.
>> ---snip---
>>
>> If I try to remove a SCSI tape, it says there aren't any. Yes,
>> the SCSI
>> details are correct. The device is plugged in and working
>> properly - just
>> before the upgrade a full backup was done, and verified too.
>> The device
>> details appear correctly in the mscsi file, the kernel was relinked.
>>
>> Some random bits of information about the system follow:
>>
>> # uname -a
>> SCO_SV phmas 3.2 5.0.7 i386
>>
>> # dmesg
>> <snip>
>> %Stp-0    -               -  -  Vnd=ARCHIVE Prd=Python 04106-XXX
>> Rev=7350
>>
>> # sconf -v
>> Srom    alad    0       0       5       0
>> Stp     alad    0       0       6       0
>> Sdsk    perc    0       0       0       0
>> unknown perc    0       0       6       0
>>
>> # ls -l /dev/*ct0
>> crw-rw-rw-   5 root     root      46,  8 Sep 15 17:43 /dev/nrct0
>> crw-rw-rw-   5 root     root      46,  0 Sep 15 17:43 /dev/rct0
>> crw-rw-rw-   3 root     root      46,128 Sep 15 17:43 /dev/xct0
>>
>> # ls -l /dev/*Stp0
>> crw-rw-rw-   5 root     root      46,  8 Sep 15 17:43 /dev/nrStp0
>> crw-rw-rw-   5 root     root      46,  0 Sep 15 17:43 /dev/rStp0
>> crw-rw-rw-   3 root     root      46,128 Sep 15 17:43 /dev/xStp0
>>
>> # tar tvf /dev/xct0
>> tar: cannot open: /dev/xct0
>>
>> # cat /dev/xct0
>> cat: cannot open /dev/xct0: Device busy (error 16)
>>
>> What am I missing?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Pavel

<top-post flipped>

>hello
>

>the information you send shows that another device is
>
>using the 0 0 6 0 identificator

Nope, that's on a completely different controller (perc vs. alad),
although I'm curious as to what is sitting at ID 6 on the Perc
controller that is identified as 'unknown'.  I've only seen that when
I have an autoloader installed.

>look for the file mscsi in the hd and delete the line
>
>unknown perc    0       0       6       0

Look into the mscsi file for the 'Stp' entr[y,ies], as well as the
other files noted in the TA mentioned by Dave Dickerson.  We
experienced this same type of problem on a 5.0.4 -> 5.0.6(?) upgrade -
Removed all tape entries in the files mentioned in the TA, relinked,
rebooted, then re-created our tape devices.  Worked like a champ.

>and reboot system
>

>good luck

Scott McMillan

0
smcm (146)
9/16/2003 12:59:38 PM
As suggested by fellow posters, removing the Stp entry from the
/etc/conf/cf.d/mscsi file and doing "mkdev tape" again fixed it. The entry
in there must have been left over from 5.0.5 and subsequently prevented the
mkdev utility from functioning properly.

Thanks to everybody who replied :-)

P.S. I don't know what's the unknown device on ID 6 on the perc controller,
and I have no physical access to the machine so I can't check. All I know is
ID 0 on that host adapter is a RAID array of 6 separate disks.
0
pavel8605 (2)
9/17/2003 12:50:23 PM
"Pavel Tcholakov" <pavel@tsi.co.za> wrote in message
> As suggested by fellow posters, removing the Stp entry from the
> /etc/conf/cf.d/mscsi file and doing "mkdev tape" again fixed it. The entry
> in there must have been left over from 5.0.5 and subsequently prevented
the
> mkdev utility from functioning properly.
>
> Thanks to everybody who replied :-)
>
> P.S. I don't know what's the unknown device on ID 6 on the perc
controller,
> and I have no physical access to the machine so I can't check. All I know
is
> ID 0 on that host adapter is a RAID array of 6 separate disks.

Is there a hotswap SCSI backplane ?  Intel and others use ID 6 for the
backplanes ID.