VisionFS problem with Windows 7

Has anyone successfully configured Windows 7 to see and
access VisionFS shared on an SCO server?

I tried for a couple of hours but was not successful
using "visionfs password" authentication method.

I was able to access a VisionFS share by setting
"guest" access for read/write on a test share but
that defeats any attempt at enforcing user access security
(you need only supply a nonexistent user name to
get "guest" status).

The other problem with Windows 7 is that I was unable
to install TermLite, getting several warning messages and
the installation just hangs.

These are academic questions at this point as the user
plans to abandon Windows 7 and downgrade to WinXP.
--

                                      Steve Fabac
                                       S.M. Fabac & Associates

Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:
> Has anyone successfully configured Windows 7 to see and
> access VisionFS shared on an SCO server?
>
> I tried for a couple of hours but was not successful
> using "visionfs password" authentication method.
>
> I was able to access a VisionFS share by setting
> "guest" access for read/write on a test share but
> that defeats any attempt at enforcing user access security
> (you need only supply a nonexistent user name to
> get "guest" status).
>
> The other problem with Windows 7 is that I was unable
> to install TermLite, getting several warning messages and
> the installation just hangs.
>
> These are academic questions at this point as the user
> plans to abandon Windows 7 and downgrade to WinXP.
> --
>
>                                        Steve Fabac
>                                         S.M. Fabac&  Associates
>                                          816/765-1670

I haven't worked with Windows 7 yet (have with Vista - what a pile of
crap) but perhaps expecting VisionFS to work when development stopped
when 5.0.7 came out was a trifle optimistic.

I know people are also having problems with the older version of SAMBA
SCO provides.

Perhaps a simple NFS mount would work here, with the M$ Unix support
tools loaded?

            SCO Authorized Partner
            Microlite BackupEdge Certified Reseller
            (209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
            E-mail: patubb@inreach.com
Pat
12/1/2009 7:25:31 AM
Pat Welch wrote:
> Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:
>> Has anyone successfully configured Windows 7 to see and
>> access VisionFS shared on an SCO server?
>>
>> I tried for a couple of hours but was not successful
>> using "visionfs password" authentication method.
>>
>> I was able to access a VisionFS share by setting
>> "guest" access for read/write on a test share but
>> that defeats any attempt at enforcing user access security
>> (you need only supply a nonexistent user name to
>> get "guest" status).
>>
>> The other problem with Windows 7 is that I was unable
>> to install TermLite, getting several warning messages and
>> the installation just hangs.
>>
>> These are academic questions at this point as the user
>> plans to abandon Windows 7 and downgrade to WinXP.
>> --
>>
>>                                        Steve Fabac
>>                                         S.M. Fabac&  Associates
>>                                          816/765-1670
>
> I haven't worked with Windows 7 yet (have with Vista - what a pile of
> crap) but perhaps expecting VisionFS to work when development stopped
> when 5.0.7 came out was a trifle optimistic.
>
> I know people are also having problems with the older version of SAMBA
> SCO provides.

I'd considered blowing away Vision and installing SAMBA but did not want
to make the change until I saw problem reports on SAMBA.

> Perhaps a simple NFS mount would work here, with the M$ Unix support
> tools loaded?

Ok.

One last thing, when I failed trying to install Termlit, I tried
just "run - telnet" and Windows 7 does not appear to have a native
telnet program. It did have ftp. Perhaps the Unix support tools
would have provided telnet?

--
                                      Steve Fabac
                                       S.M. Fabac & Associates
Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:
> Pat Welch wrote:
>> Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:
>>> Has anyone successfully configured Windows 7 to see and
>>> access VisionFS shared on an SCO server?
>>>
>>> I tried for a couple of hours but was not successful
>>> using "visionfs password" authentication method.
>>>
>>> I was able to access a VisionFS share by setting
>>> "guest" access for read/write on a test share but
>>> that defeats any attempt at enforcing user access security
>>> (you need only supply a nonexistent user name to
>>> get "guest" status).
>>>
>>> The other problem with Windows 7 is that I was unable
>>> to install TermLite, getting several warning messages and
>>> the installation just hangs.
>>>
>>> These are academic questions at this point as the user
>>> plans to abandon Windows 7 and downgrade to WinXP.
>>> --
>>>
>>> Steve Fabac
>>> S.M. Fabac& Associates
>>> 816/765-1670
>>
>> I haven't worked with Windows 7 yet (have with Vista - what a pile of
>> crap) but perhaps expecting VisionFS to work when development stopped
>> when 5.0.7 came out was a trifle optimistic.
>>
>> I know people are also having problems with the older version of SAMBA
>> SCO provides.
>
> I'd considered blowing away Vision and installing SAMBA but did not want
> to make the change until I saw problem reports on SAMBA.
>

>> Perhaps a simple NFS mount would work here, with the M$ Unix support
>> tools loaded?
>>

> Ok.
>
> One last thing, when I failed trying to install Termlit, I tried
> just "run - telnet" and Windows 7 does not appear to have a native
> telnet program. It did have ftp. Perhaps the Unix support tools
> would have provided telnet?

Hi, Steve.

Don't know - surprised there's no native telnet. Vista has it. The W7
version is not the 'for netbooks' basic version is it?

Did you check the optional Windows available components to see if it now
requires installing instead of being part of the base?

There's always PuTTY, or a commercial package like SCRT or Anzio or Tiny
Term.

I personally prefer and use SCRT for telnet and SSH/SFTP (www.vandyke.com).

            SCO Authorized Partner
            Microlite BackupEdge Certified Reseller
            (209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
            E-mail: patubb@inreach.com
Pat
12/1/2009 2:46:06 PM
On Dec 1, 6:46=A0am, Pat Welch <pat...@inreach.com> wrote:
> Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:
>

> > Pat Welch wrote:

> >> I haven't worked with Windows 7 yet (have with Vista - what a pile of
> >> crap) but perhaps expecting VisionFS to work when development stopped
> >> when 5.0.7 came out was a trifle optimistic.
>
> >> I know people are also having problems with the older version of SAMBA
> >> SCO provides.
>
> > I'd considered blowing away Vision and installing SAMBA but did not wan=
> > to make the change until I saw problem reports on SAMBA.
>
> >> Perhaps a simple NFS mount would work here, with the M$ Unix support
> >> tools loaded?
>
> > Ok.
>
> > One last thing, when I failed trying to install Termlit, I tried
> > just "run - telnet" and Windows 7 does not appear to have a native
> > telnet program. It did have ftp. Perhaps the Unix support tools
> > would have provided telnet?
>
> Hi, Steve.
>
> Don't know - surprised there's no native telnet. Vista has it. The W7
> version is not the 'for netbooks' basic version is it?
>
> Did you check the optional Windows available components to see if it now
> requires installing instead of being part of the base?
>
> There's always PuTTY, or a commercial package like SCRT or Anzio or Tiny
> Term.
>
> I personally prefer and use SCRT for telnet and SSH/SFTP (www.vandyke.com=
).

> --
> Pat Welch, UBB Computer Services, a WCS Affiliate
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 SCO Authorized Partner
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Microlite BackupEdge Certified Reseller
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Unix/Linux/Windows/Hardware Sales/Support
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 (209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 E-mail: pat...@inreach.com

I had a Client upgrade to Windows 7 recently. I was able to get him
the ability to access their VisionFS shares. In this circumstance,
their SCO box (running 5.0.7) is configured to pass authentication to
their Win2000 server. That configuration might make a difference.

I don=92t know if all of these were required. But, these are the changes
we made on the Windows 7 system that allowed it to map UNIX shared
drives:

Run =96 gpedit.msc

Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings ->
Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options

Domain member: Require strong (Windows 2000 or later) session
key:                 Disabled
(default was Enabled)

Microsoft network client: Send unencrypted password to third-party SMB
servers:   Enabled
(default was Disabled)

Network security: LAN Manager Authentication
level:                                            Send LM and NTLM
(default was undefined)

Let me know if these help. I don't know if this would cause related
connectivity issues with other (i.e. Microsoft) servers. But, you can
always try them and put them back if required.
0
Rick_Hoyle
12/1/2009 3:26:37 PM
Rick_Hoyle wrote:
> On Dec 1, 6:46 am, Pat Welch <pat...@inreach.com> wrote:
>> Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:

>>> I'd considered blowing away Vision and installing SAMBA but did not want
>>> to make the change until I saw problem reports on SAMBA.
>>> Ok.
>>> One last thing, when I failed trying to install Termlit, I tried
>>> just "run - telnet" and Windows 7 does not appear to have a native
>>> telnet program. It did have ftp. Perhaps the Unix support tools
>>> would have provided telnet?
>> Hi, Steve.
>>
>> Don't know - surprised there's no native telnet. Vista has it. The W7
>> version is not the 'for netbooks' basic version is it?
>>
>> Did you check the optional Windows available components to see if it now
>> requires installing instead of being part of the base?
>>
>> There's always PuTTY, or a commercial package like SCRT or Anzio or Tiny
>> Term.
>>
>> I personally prefer and use SCRT for telnet and SSH/SFTP (www.vandyke.com).
>>
>> --
>> Pat Welch, UBB Computer Services, a WCS Affiliate
>>             SCO Authorized Partner
>>             Microlite BackupEdge Certified Reseller
>>             Unix/Linux/Windows/Hardware Sales/Support
>>             (209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
>>             E-mail: pat...@inreach.com

> I had a Client upgrade to Windows 7 recently. I was able to get him
> the ability to access their VisionFS shares. In this circumstance,
> their SCO box (running 5.0.7) is configured to pass authentication to
> their Win2000 server. That configuration might make a difference.
>
> I don�t know if all of these were required. But, these are the changes
> we made on the Windows 7 system that allowed it to map UNIX shared
> drives:
>

> Run � gpedit.msc
>
> Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings ->
> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options
>
> Domain member: Require strong (Windows 2000 or later) session
> key:                 Disabled
> (default was Enabled)
>
> Microsoft network client: Send unencrypted password to third-party SMB
> servers:   Enabled
> (default was Disabled)
>
> Network security: LAN Manager Authentication
> level:                                            Send LM and NTLM
> (default was undefined)
>
> Let me know if these help. I don't know if this would cause related
> connectivity issues with other (i.e. Microsoft) servers. But, you can
> always try them and put them back if required.

Rick,

Thanks for the above info. It is academic at this time as the client took
the Win7 pc back and replaced it with WinXP.

I did stumble into  "Network security: LAN Manager Authentication level"
from a Google search and added the key using regedit but none of the
settings (0 - 4) fixed the problem. I also enabled plain text passwords
and that did not resolve the problem. I did not find the "Domain member:
Require strong (Windows 2000 or later) session" setting and would have
ignored it as the client does not have a domain controller, just the
UNIX box and 20 Windows XP systems.

In the past, I have configured VisionFS (at a different client's location)
to authenticate to the Windows Server 2003 system and that worked for
access from the Windows 2003 server terminal services sessions. To me
that configuration is strange on the surface as it results in users
logged into the Windows Server 2003 system clicking on VisionFS shares
and providing credentials to VisionFS which then asks the Windows 2003
server if the credentials are correct.

All the authentication problems with Windows and VisionFS seems to have
started when MS changed the user name from just "user" to "server\user"
at some point in the security updates for XP.

I'm sure that I'll get a chance to try this again when another client
purchases a Win7 pc without asking me before they make the purchase.

--
                                      Steve Fabac
                                       S.M. Fabac & Associates

Windows 7 and Eudora 7.1: problems, problems and problems.
Hi, 3 days ago I have replaced Win XP with Windows 7 and since first day I have problem with Eudora 7.1. My problems are when Eudora downloads emails. I have 6 account, Eudora downloads 3 accunts regularly, then gets stuck on 3� account for 1 minute or more and then it goes again regularly. Therefore I have deleted the 3� account then I have done the download. Eudora downloads 3 account regularly again then it gets stuck again. Always the same problem. Then ..... I have unistalled Eudora and deleted every trace on registry then I have installed it again but now I have the same probl...

VisionFS problem with Windows 7 #2
�ste es un mensaje de varias partes en formato MIME. ------=_NextPart_000_0013_01CB8717.2DFF3A50 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Good day: VisionFS looking for solutions to the compatibility of windows seven, I = found your answer and wanted to know if I can find the solution to the = compatibility of software Thanks=20 Francisco Quiroga __________ Informaci=F3n de ESET NOD32 Antivirus, versi=F3n de la base de f= irmas de virus 5630 (20101118) __________ ESET NOD32 Antivirus ha comprobado este mensaje. http://www.es...

Problems With In, Out, Trash, Junk mailboxes moving Eudora 7.1 Paid from Windows 7 Ultra to Windows 8 Home
I used the Eudora setup file to set it up on the new computer. Then I copie= d over all of the files from my program directory on my Win 7 Ultimate to m= y Win 8 computer. When I start Eudora everything is there ( many, many mail= boxes, personalities, signatures, etc. except the In, Out, Junk and Trash f= iles are empty. I used this procedure for moving Eudora whenever I upgraded= computers. It has always worked before. All of my mailboxes are in the Eu= dora folder. Can anyone help me with this? On Monday, April 29, 2013 8:05:53 PM UTC-7, mortr...@gmail.com wrote: > I used the ...

Matlab 7.0 R14 problem in Windows 7 64-bit
Hi all, Does anyone know how to fix this problem. Matlab 7.0 R14 installed fine on Windows 7 64-bit, but when I start Matlab it opens, but then closes down after 1 second or so. My processor is Phenom II X6 X1055T 2.8 GHz. Thx for Ur help if U know, Kaare "Kaare " <kaare.simonsen@hsbcib.com> wrote in message news:i1hemf$e77$1@fred.mathworks.com... > Hi all, > > Does anyone know how to fix this problem. Matlab 7.0 R14 installed fine > on Windows 7 64-bit, but when I start Matlab it opens, but then closes > down after 1 second or so. My processor...

Problem with command pipeline and space in file name between Windows XP and Windows 7
I'm using command pipeline to start a another TCL script and I'm redirectin= g stderr out to a file. The following works fine on Windows 7/Linux even w= hen the value of error_log_file has a space in it. Note, $cmd has quite a f= ew arguments in it and it was "built up" using lappend. =20 if [catch {open "|$cmd 2>$error_log_file" "w+"} file_id] { When this is run on Windows XP, and error_log_file has a space in the filen= ame (or path), then everything up until the first space is being included a= s part of the command to run. No good. ...

Trying to compile putty-0.60 on SCO UNIX 5.0.7 with GCC and SCO Dev
I am trying to compile putty downloaded from http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload/PuTTY-Download-347.html but get the error below. gcc -g -O2 -Wall -Werror -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DHAVE_X11 -DHAVE_X -DSYSV -Di386 -DS CO325 -D__SCO__ -DHAVE_XAW -DHAVE_SHAPE_EXT -DHAVE_SHAPE -DHAVE_SHM_EXT -DHAVE_X SHM -DHAVE_XCONVERTCASE -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr /include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/gl ib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/X11R6/include -I.././ -I../charset/ -I../windows/ -I../unix/ -I../mac/...

Shared Memory Problems, Informix IDS 7.31 install on SCO UnixWare 7.1.1
Hi All, First of all, here is what I am using: SCO UnixWare 7.1.1, IDS 7.3.1. My problem is with shared memory. I have set all of the settings according to the machine specific notes in the the release note except for this part: INFORMIX-OnLine Kernel Parameters: ================================= SEMMNI: 150 SEMMNS: 60 SEMMSL: 150 Where do these get set? I changed (as per IDS_7.3 in the release notes): SHMMNI 200 SHMSEG: 15 SHMMAX: 536870912 and rebuilt the kernel and they all check out using idtune -g <name>. The error I get in the online.log after on...

Problems compiling phtread-win32 2.7.0 under Windows XP SP2 using MSVC++ 7.1
I everybody, I spent some time trying to compile the last 'pthread-win32 2.7.0' (from 'http://sourceware.org/pthreads-win32') release and I met the following problems. (At the end the my post, you will find the nmake log lines) 1/ First, the compilation of "private.c" generates four C4297 warnings. After looking at MSVC71 options in the MSDN, I read this : "The /EHc option requires that /EHs, /EHa, or /GX is specified. It tells the compiler to assume that extern C functions never throw an exception." Looking at the code, I noticed that ...

7 N 7. Windows 7 here in 7 days. Goodbye Linux.
Windows 7 will obliterate what scraps of Linux are still left lying around like rotting garbage. The masses will welcome Windows 7 with open wallets and will ignore free Linux desktop even more than in the past, if that is even mathematically possible. You can tell that excitement is in the air over the Windows release because the Linux morons are squealing like stuck pigs. Hopefully this will put desktop Linux out of it's misery and flush the basements of the world of these Linux worshiping vermin. Who knows, maybe sales of soap, the kind used to clean things, will go up? Of course sales ...

Problem importing from Unix to Windows
I am trying to import a dmp file from Unix to Windows. The file is sized 1.6 gb. I have installed Oracle 8i (8.1.7) on Windows 2000. The Oracle Home directory is d:\oracle\ora81. I would like to: - view the contents of the dmp file so I can see the table names / schema - import the dmp file into my Oracle db on my Windows 2000 server. I have tried both the OEM Import Wizard and the command line IMP utility but both are failing. When attempting to read the .dmp file using the Import Wizard in Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM) I get an error: "couldn't open "c:/winnt/temp/282414463...

windows to unix printing problem
Hi, I have a sparc computer running with solaris 10 and samba 3.04. It's got a HP laserjet 6P printer attached. I am trying to print from a windows xp workstation with this printer using samba. Samba is already configured and I am able to print from the windows XP workstation but the printer prints just strange postscript code, no the typical windows test page I am trying to print. This is my smb.con ( a very simple configuration) [global] workgroup = WORKGROUP load printers = yes netbios name = carlos show add printer wizard = yes print...

window problem with my Matlab2007a for Unix
I do not know why the main window of matlab always on the top. I mean even I open a Editor, some of the editor is covered by main window. I have to shift them one by one to edit the m-file. It's terrible. So, is there anyone who know how to resolve this problem? Many thanks in advance. Justin ...

Reference Problems Under Windows 7
Any brave souls been trying Windows 7? It looks like a really promising OS. However I've found one nasty problem that manifests under the last couple of beta builds that isn't a problem in XP or Vista. It relates to running Access 2003 and 2007 on the same Windows 7 machine. If Access 2007 is opened and then closed, then the user opens Access 2003 the usual "reinstall" takes place and Access 2003 seems to run as normal. However there is a problem with the reference to the Microsoft Access Object Library. Access 2003 now has the "Microsoft Access 12 Object Library&qu...

Windows 7 Installation Problem
During installation of 2009b, I clicked the button to interrupt installation and finish later. Now, when I reinsert the installation DVD, it spins up, copies the files to the temp directory, displays the MATLAB logo and then nothing. MATLAB is not on the list of installed programs to uninstall but it seems like my system thinks it's already installed. I am using Windows 7. Any suggestions of what to try next would be appreciated. Thanks. "Matthew " <matthew.cavalli@und.edu> wrote in message news:hrqi0o$mje$1@fred.mathworks.com... > During installation of ...

Web resources about - VisionFS problem with Windows 7 - comp.unix.sco.misc

Tarantella, Inc. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tarantella was a line of products developed by a branch of the company Santa Cruz Operation (SCO) since 1993. In 2001, SCO was renamed Tarantella, ...

SCO revamps UnixWare with Linux features
The upstart operating system has helped UnixWare more than it has harmed it, SCO says. A CNET article by Stephen Shankland, Staff Writer, CNET ...

UnixWare 7 mar 98
UnixWare 7: revolution or revision? Weve been hearing about Gemini, the combination of OpenServer and UnixWare into asingle operating system, ...