Top topped

What's the Solaris 10 equivalent of "top"?

0
Captain

Captain Pedantic wrote:
> What's the Solaris 10 equivalent of "top"?

prstat, vmstat, iostat, mpstat

And if you want to have all the values at a single glance, then take a
look at my sysstat utility.

Cheers,
Tom
0
Thomas
5/10/2006 8:50:18 AM
In article <4cdnl4F15k8a9U1@individual.net>,
Captain Pedantic <theharlequin36@hotmail.com> wrote:
>What's the Solaris 10 equivalent of "top"?

top has been developed on SunOS for SunOS

It has later been ported to other architectures.

--
EMail:joerg@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) J�rg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
      js@cs.tu-berlin.de		(uni)
"Thomas Maier-Komor" <thomas@maier-komor.de> wrote in message
> Captain Pedantic wrote:
>> What's the Solaris 10 equivalent of "top"?
>>

> prstat, vmstat, iostat, mpstat
>
> And if you want to have all the values at a single glance, then take a
> look at my sysstat utility.

OK.  Where is it?

0
Captain
5/10/2006 8:53:09 AM
"Joerg Schilling" <js@cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote in message
> In article <4cdnl4F15k8a9U1@individual.net>,
> Captain Pedantic <theharlequin36@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>What's the Solaris 10 equivalent of "top"?
>
> top has been developed on SunOS for SunOS
>
> It has later been ported to other architectures.

It's not on either of the two Solaris 10 1/06 installations I've just done.

0
Captain
5/10/2006 8:53:45 AM
Captain Pedantic wrote:
> "Joerg Schilling" <js@cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote in message
>
>>In article <4cdnl4F15k8a9U1@individual.net>,
>>Captain Pedantic <theharlequin36@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>What's the Solaris 10 equivalent of "top"?
>>
>>top has been developed on SunOS for SunOS
>>
>>It has later been ported to other architectures.
>

> It's not on either of the two Solaris 10 1/06 installations I've just done.

It's on the CCD.

--
Ian Collins.
0
Pedantic" <theharlequin36@hotmail.com> wrote:

> "Joerg Schilling" <js@cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote in message
>> In article <4cdnl4F15k8a9U1@individual.net>,
>> Captain Pedantic <theharlequin36@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> What's the Solaris 10 equivalent of "top"?
>>
>> top has been developed on SunOS for SunOS
>>
>> It has later been ported to other architectures.
>
> It's not on either of the two Solaris 10 1/06 installations I've just done.

The SFWtop package installs it in /opt/sfw/bin. That package is on the
Software Companion CD. (I've just checked the 3/05 CDs for x86 and SPARC.)

Cheers,

Chris

0
Chris
5/10/2006 9:20:29 AM
Captain Pedantic wrote:
> "Thomas Maier-Komor" <thomas@maier-komor.de> wrote in message
>> Captain Pedantic wrote:
>>> What's the Solaris 10 equivalent of "top"?
>>>

>> prstat, vmstat, iostat, mpstat
>>
>> And if you want to have all the values at a single glance, then take a
>> look at my sysstat utility.
>
> OK.  Where is it?

http://www.maier-komor.de/sysstat.html

I am just working on a version that will come with network/multicast
support, so that one can monitor multiple machines. ETA: probably
upcoming weekend.

Tom
0
Thomas
5/10/2006 12:17:32 PM
I like to use /usr/dt/bin/sdtprocess

0
Aldo
5/10/2006 12:42:58 PM
In article <e3slks$4rj$1@news.in.tum.de>,
Thomas Maier-Komor  <thomas@maier-komor.de> wrote:

>I am just working on a version that will come with network/multicast
>support, so that one can monitor multiple machines. ETA: probably
>upcoming weekend.

	Cool!  I always wanted AIX 'monitor' for Solaris ;)

	(just remember to include the hash-mark VU-meter-style display for
network traffic ;)

--
"When in doubt, use brute force."
- Ken Thompson
hennessy wrote:
> In article <e3slks$4rj$1@news.in.tum.de>,
> Thomas Maier-Komor  <thomas@maier-komor.de> wrote:
>> I am just working on a version that will come with network/multicast
>> support, so that one can monitor multiple machines. ETA: probably
>> upcoming weekend.
>
> 	Cool!  I always wanted AIX 'monitor' for Solaris ;)
>
> 	(just remember to include the hash-mark VU-meter-style display for
> network traffic ;)

Unfortunately, I never used AIX up to now. Could you elaborate what the
hash-mark VU-meter is? What does it display, and how does it look like.
Maybe I could add it to sysstat...

0
Thomas
5/10/2006 2:08:42 PM
In article <e3ss5a$6m0$1@news.in.tum.de>,
Thomas Maier-Komor  <thomas@maier-komor.de> wrote:

>Unfortunately, I never used AIX up to now. Could you elaborate what the
>hash-mark VU-meter is? What does it display, and how does it look like.
>Maybe I could add it to sysstat...

	An overview of monitor:
	http://staff.csc.fi/~jmaki/monitor.html

	It's funny, but my first unix admin job was in an AIX 3.2.5
environment with some SunOS and Solaris 2, on token ring (except for the
SPARCs that bridged off of some OEM cisco 2513), and one of the first
things I noticed missing in Sun was 'monitor', followed shortly by
'smitty', CDE, LVMs, NIM...

	And for an image of a VU-meter: http://sound.westhost.com/p60.gif
--
"When in doubt, use brute force."
- Ken Thompson
0
hennessy
5/11/2006 1:43:05 PM
hennessy wrote:
> In article <e3ss5a$6m0$1@news.in.tum.de>,
> Thomas Maier-Komor  <thomas@maier-komor.de> wrote:
>> Unfortunately, I never used AIX up to now. Could you elaborate what the
>> hash-mark VU-meter is? What does it display, and how does it look like.
>> Maybe I could add it to sysstat...
>
> 	An overview of monitor:
> 	http://staff.csc.fi/~jmaki/monitor.html

OK. That really looks pretty similar to sysstat concerning content.
Layout is of course totally different, and sysstat has some metrics
monitor does not show, and the other way around.

> 	It's funny, but my first unix admin job was in an AIX 3.2.5
> environment with some SunOS and Solaris 2, on token ring (except for the
> SPARCs that bridged off of some OEM cisco 2513), and one of the first
> things I noticed missing in Sun was 'monitor', followed shortly by
> 'smitty', CDE, LVMs, NIM...
>
> 	And for an image of a VU-meter: http://sound.westhost.com/p60.gif

Graphical or GUI meters are always cool ;-)

The _new_ sysstat release (http://www.maier-komor.de/sysstat.html)
supports multicasting and display of multiple hosts. It has a stable
protocol for transmitting the statistics over the network. The
transmitted data fits into a single UDP frame that is multicast to
interested clients. The information is mangled to an easy parseable
ASCII representation, and a protocol version is included.

I already have a Java client framework with classes that receive and
parse this information. But I am really not a GUI guy anymore. After I
hit some problems with Swing layout, I am probably not going to continue
to implement a graphical Java client. But if you'd like this framework,
to realize such a thing, I can give it to you. Would be cool... ;-)

Cheers,
Tom
0
Thomas
5/11/2006 2:30:19 PM
In article <e3vhps$sbd$1@news.in.tum.de>,
Thomas Maier-Komor  <thomas@maier-komor.de> wrote:
>I already have a Java client framework with classes that receive and
>parse this information. But I am really not a GUI guy anymore. After I
>hit some problems with Swing layout, I am probably not going to continue
>to implement a graphical Java client. But if you'd like this framework,
>to realize such a thing, I can give it to you. Would be cool... ;-)

	Do it with hash marks and dashes ;)

Cheers,
- Matt